PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 08-19-2010, 08:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger

Last Saturday, I received from Roman Vasyliev his Leyland RAF-pattern cargo lorry upscaled to 1/48. He also sent me a 1/48 version of the Ford 3-ton U.S. Army tank (build forthcoming).

I could not resist trying my hand at the little truck, so I put aside temporarily the Perry T1E1 light tank that I have been struggling with and set to work to the sound of Siegfried performed by Los Angeles Opera On Air (given the nature of the vehicle, I suppose "Wait for the Wagon" and the "RAF March Past" would have been more appropriate).

Photo 1: I printed the model out on Borden & Riley Bleedproof Paris paper (0.2mm thick) cut to A4 size and sprayed the sheets with Krylon.

Photos 2 and 3: Gluing up the cargo bed.

Photos 4 and 5: Fiddly bits. The headlamps before and after and the chassis with various small parts arrayed.

Photo 6: The drive train bits and bobs.

Photo 7: The only error I found in the kit: The rear axle is 2mm too short on one end.

Photo 8: Burnishing a curve into the end of the differential using a Shrike RolyStyk and a Speedball Mastercarve block (recommended by Shrike).

Photo 9: Gluing up the steering wheel column using a Golden Bear technique (which seems to work a heck of a lot better for him).

Photo 10: The cab being glued up.

More later,

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-01.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-02.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-03.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-04.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-05.jpg  

Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-06.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-07.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-08.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-09.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-10.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 08-19-2010, 08:44 PM

Wickering the Wagon

Spent the first few days of the week in the office and elsewhere, writing, talking with students, and roughing out a lecture, but was able to put in a few hours today.

Photo 1: The parts of the engine bonnet/hood under construction. I found forming the scuttle/cowl to be difficult. Burnishing the edges where they come together was a challenge I failed to meet. I laminated the radiator grill to a couple of thicknesses of card and did the same with an extra copy of the scuttle in order to provide formers for the bonnet. You can see these in Photo 2.

Photos 2 and 3: The cab and bonnet parts. I glued 1mm thick card inside the bonnet to keep the sides from dishing in. The cab tilt in the background is another forming and burnishing challenge. Liberal applications of green ochre Caran d'Ache water-soluble wax crayon and light sand Tamiya weathering powder helped hide my clumsy work on the top edges of the scuttle and the finger prints and smudges (I meant to say "weathering").

Photo 4: The work to date.

Photo 5: Tora-chan again. As I was taking the photos of the Leyland, I heard rustling behind me and captured her on camera, peeking from behind the sake barrels (mementoes of parties with Japanese Joint Staff Agency colleagues many years ago).

Tomorrow the wheels.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-11.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-12.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-13.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-14.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-torachan-sake.jpg  

Old 08-19-2010, 10:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Looking mighty fine Don. Nice sharp folds and smooth curves. Some excellent building tips too. I'm going to have to find some of that paper. I just read the specs and it sounds perfect for card modeling.

The last time I was at my favorite paper source (Island Blue Home - IslandBlue) I saw they had some Chinese calligraphy paper that has no grain. I'll probably pick up some of that as well.
Old 08-20-2010, 05:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Don,

This is looking like an excellent build. I purchased this model, too. I'm following your thread as these are all great tips! I look forward to seeing more.

Jeff
Old 08-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Nicely done Don

Google Adsense
Old 08-20-2010, 07:16 AM

Don sama, I’m glad to know that you are building kits one after the other feverishly. I’m looking forward to this build though for another couple of weeks I will not be able to get to the forum as much.
Ganbatte kudasai!
Old 08-20-2010, 07:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Looking good, Mr. Boose!

Wyvern
Old 08-20-2010, 07:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Nice lorry !!!

And very nice boxes in front of the cat !!!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 AM

Who is this model-building powerhouse and what have you done with the real Don Boose??? Looking mighty fine, Don!
Old 08-22-2010, 08:45 PM

Many thanks for stopping in Douglas, Jeff, Barry, Master Yu, Wyvern, Pat, and Your Trollness.

Blessed are they who go in circles, for they shall be called wheels.

Photo 1 shows the makings of the two rear wheels. Incidentally, if you buy stamps through the mail in the United States, the U.S. Postal Service sends each pane of stamps in a cellophane packet with a nice sheet of good quality card exactly 1mm thick. That's what the inner disks are made of.

Photo 2 shows the wheels before final touching up of the edges with fine sandpaper and an application of mouse grey Caran d'Ache Neocolor II.

Photo 3: The major assemblies are not yet glued together, but this gives an idea of the work to date.

Now back to work on the Vickers and T1E1.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-15.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-16.jpg   Leyland RAF-Pattern Cargo Lorry 1/48 der Kampfflieger-leyland-17.jpg  
Google Adsense