PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This is some superb model building. Very impressive from start to finish. It is enjoyable and instructive to see a first class craftsman at work and to see how you have overcome shortcomings in the kit, adapted verious materials, and worked to make an accurate replica.

Don
Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks everyone. Don, you are always so positive and I appreciated you encouragement. Yes I hate to paint over all the work also.

I was busy this weekend and got more done. The dome was next. It is supposed to be a shallow one piece dome but in paper they settled for a flat top which of course was not acceptable. I made the top piece into a dome and then glued the side on. I then used putty on it and sanded it down. I test painted it with Mr Surfacer 1000 and resanded and reputtied and repainted a number of times to get what I wanted.

The tracks were next. I cut out all the pieces and after assembly I glued them together but did not attach them to the sponsons since I wanted to paint them separately. I made them in two sections so they could be assembled after painting was complete. I made a jig but ended up not really using it much. Almost ready for painting.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pb210092.jpg   Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pb230116.jpg   Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pb220113.jpg   Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pb220114.jpg   Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pb220115.jpg  

Old 12-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
This is looking great, Jim. You're doing a stellar job on an obviously limited kit. I'm especially impressed with the look of the tracks!
Chris
Old 12-15-2010, 11:05 AM

I started the painting by spraying on about 3 coats of sealer. I then sprayed everything with light gray and checked for flaws. I did some touch up on seams and then started the real painting. I started by spraying the tracks with rust and the rest of the vehicle with sand.

I then painted the camouflage on using brown and olive green. I sprayed the camouflage patches with a mixture of the base color and white to show some weathering. I also painted the muffler rust and springs and wheel rims silver.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pb230121.jpg   Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pb230122.jpg   Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pb270048.jpg  
Old 12-21-2010, 07:44 AM

I have been waiting for some decals I ordered to come in to finish this kit but finally gave up and finished it as far as I could. If I get the extra decals I will post an update in the future.

I gave the whole vehicle and track a number of coats of Future floor wax to seal everything and get ready for decals. I made the decals using several methods. For the matriculation numbers I used a stencil font and down loaded a heart which I added a white background. These were printed on white decal paper. I also made the vehicle numbers using clear decal sheet. These were then applied to the vehicle. I did some touch up on the two white matriculation numbers (factory supplied numbers) then gave them a coat of Future.

I then gave all the parts a coat of acrylic clear flat in preparation of the wash process. After letting it dry overnight I gave everything a good wash of black and burnt umber mixture. I then dry brushed with a mixture of yellow ochre, green and white oils. I also sprayed with a light coat of thinned sand.

I had checked the fit of the sponsons a number of times I knew something was not quite right but could not really put my finger on it until I glued them on. It was then obvious that the front mounting brackets were too high. I moved them down about ½” and it worked much better.

I added the tools and straps made from paper and brass buckles. I also made a tow cable to go on the rear from scrap piece I had left over from another project. A strap was added to hold the cable on. I added straps to the toolbox plus a pad lock. I wanted to add a drum on the tail skid which was used for all kinds of gear including gas cans. I had bought a set of 55 gal drums from AvantCard and built one for this. I ended up attaching it with a chain from Hudson & Allen.

I added a chain to the rear which almost all F-17s seemed to have. I got it from eBay and the size seems perfect for 1/25. I was RB Model 086 05 chain. I treated it with Blacken-It and hung it off the rear.

Well overall I am happy with the results. I had dreams of doing a Six ton and TSF version at one point but after having to scratch build the sponsons I doubt I will ever do another one.

While I was waiting for the decals to come in I started on the Saint Chamond which I will report next.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pb280049.jpg   Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pb280053.jpg   Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pc030037.jpg   Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pc210038.jpg   Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pc210039.jpg  

Technikos 1/25 FT-17-pc210052.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-21-2010, 08:01 AM

Beautiful!!!
So far this is my favorite model made by you, Jim. I know, it cost you some sweat due to the shortcoming of the kit, but all your work was well worth it. Great weathering, love all added details. Wow!

"None so blind as those that will not see"
Old 12-23-2010, 08:28 PM

Also Wow! Sorry for the delayed reaction, but somehow I lost visibility of this thread while you were completing the build, Jim. It is an amazing display of craftsmanship. You have truly captured the look of the tank. The painting, on-vehicle-equipment details, and weathering are beautifully done. I am taking a great deal of pleasure in your recreation of these fascinating machines. I look forward to your next project, whatever it may be (although I am secretly hoping that you will continue with these World War I and early psot-war vehicles).

Don
Old 12-23-2010, 09:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
It's a post-WW1 FT - the coloured "Aces" didn't appear on WW1 vehicles. We thrashed this topic out on the Landships forum - genuine WW1 FTs had "Ace" markings but they were mandated as black in colour. There is a copy of Gen. Estienne's 1917 order on markings on Landships II.

The vehicle isn't an "FT-17" - this is an inaccuracy introduced by English writers - it is "Renault FT". All the French official documents refer to the tank as "FT".

Having got the nit picking stuff out of my system may I congratulate you on making the proverbial silk purse out of sow's ear.

Regards,

Charlie

(Before anyone makes noises about the Schneider CA1 should be "CA" - it shouldn't. "CA" was the project designation, CA1 was the first vehicle developed
- there were CA2 and CA3 designs but they were never produced. I think the CA3 made it to prototype stage.)
Old 12-24-2010, 06:50 AM

Interesting points about the designator and markings, Charlie. I see I need to spend much more time closely reading the Landships articles. I must admit that I was unaware of both of these pieces of information.

The "FT-17" usage has certainly become entrenched. It seems to me something like the "Me-109" vs. "Bf-109" issue and, as anyone who regularly peruses the J-Aircraft forum is aware, a lot of similar ex-post-facto erroneous desigations have become attached to WWII Japanese military aircraft.

There is a somewhat equivalent (and rather neuralgic) issue among certain Korean war veterans of Regiemental Combat Team 31 (RCT-31) that was dubbed "Task Force Faith" by some after the fact.

I am always eager to find out about these things to set the story straight, so I always look forward to your inputs.

Having said that, Jim, your model is absolute dynamite and I am olive drab with envy at your skill!

Don
Old 12-24-2010, 07:59 AM
Eternal Member

This is an above and beyond build. I think it deserves a P.O.T.W.

Ron
Google Adsense