PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 12-04-2010, 04:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
bestpapermodels M1A1 and T-72 Iraq

I have always had a fascination with armor, perhaps because my Dad was with Patton's 3rd Army in WWII, and although my true love remains with merchant ships I just had to try a few of the tanks offered by bestpapermodels.com, particularly given the really low price and interesting subjects.

I have built one of the micro armor offerings by Rawen and Pařan (I did their 1/100 scaled T-55) and wanted to continue the theme with a few tanks from bestpapermodels.com, this time the M1A1 and T-72 Iraq version. The construction method is very similar to that used by Rawen and Pařan, even the assembly diagrams seem very similar, though the original scale is 1:87, or HO scale.

Here's how they came out. I rather like the way it turned out, considering it was a weekend project for each, although I might in the future add a bit more to the construction of the machine guns and lamps, as the simple flat 2D design while workable in this scale might look a bit better in 3D. Also, I would have prefered 3D versions for the track and bogies, but it doesn't stick out at this scale.

Hope you like the way they came out! I would recommend these models to anyone wanting to try a simple armor project; there are a few other offerings on their webpage that might be of interest.

Cheers!
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
bestpapermodels M1A1 and T-72 Iraq-m1a1-1.jpg   bestpapermodels M1A1 and T-72 Iraq-m1a1-2.jpg   bestpapermodels M1A1 and T-72 Iraq-t-72-1.jpg   bestpapermodels M1A1 and T-72 Iraq-t-72-2.jpg   bestpapermodels M1A1 and T-72 Iraq-adversaries.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 12-04-2010, 04:48 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Expertly done Jim! I haven't seen anything from you in so long, it is really great
to see these! And they are the same scale I intend on building ( I have some personal
experience with the Soviet version T-72) so it is a double good viewing for me! I do
hope you continue to grace us with your builds.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 12-04-2010, 05:03 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Wotcher Squinty still the ultimate micro builder ............ nice build again

Old 12-05-2010, 10:21 AM

Thank you so much, Ray and Barry!

@Ray, you are too kind...never seems enough time to build things, and it's been a rare event the last few months, but I try to sneak a few in from time to time. I have way too many projects in mid-stream, so to speak, but these two just HAD to be built! I trust your experiance with the Soviet T-72 was good?

@ bazzer, thanks, me ol' mate! Not sure about being ultimate, but I do love building them a bit on the smallish side. Hope the snow hasn't been too bad on you and the family...perhaps giving you some time to work on your fantastic Big E?

So glad you liked them...they were fun to build!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 12-05-2010, 10:56 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Nicely done! I've only done one of R & Ps small scale armor models, but from that experience I can appreciate how fine your work on this Abrams is. It's a beauty.
Google Adsense
Old 12-05-2010, 07:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I seem to be following Don Number One in comments lately. Once again, I can only chime in with my agreement that these are nicely done, Jim. You have a deft hand no matter what you build and it is always a pleasure to see your models.

(The other) Don
Old 12-06-2010, 08:15 AM

Thanks a lot, Don and Don.

I appreciate your very kind words, and am very glad you liked the way they came out.

Building up the main body of the Abrams was a bit tricky, as the upper part fit onto the lower half in an interlocking manner which initially had me a bit concerned; I was afraid the glue would start to set with the two parts not fully matched up. In the end, though, it seemed to work out okay. I would do the barrels a bit differently next time, though, most likely using bond paper as using card was a bit difficult to work with in forming the tube, and actually de-laminated a bit at certain spots, but a bit of touching up with glue and re-rolling seemed to cure that problem.

Thanks so much again for stopping by and having a look, my friends!

Cheers!
Jim