PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 12-30-2010, 08:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Peter, yes I had problems in the rear also. That is where I ended up adding additional frame supports underneath the skins in a number of places.

I have continued adding details on the upper hull. Kind of putting off the suspension stuff since it clearly is the hardest part of the build.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Saint Chamond 1/25-pc010033.jpg   Modelik Saint Chamond 1/25-pc010034.jpg   Modelik Saint Chamond 1/25-pc010035.jpg  
Old 12-30-2010, 09:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
The one good thing about painting models. Not having to worry about white edges.

How about a photo with a scale cube or penny.

Tim
Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Excellent work, Jim! Can't wait to see how you execute the details. You always do such a fine job on the fine nuances and weathering.

Don
Old 12-30-2010, 10:26 AM

Little off topic, but I can not resist.
For the record I want to paint tank models one day as I think painted armor simply is ultimately superior and more realistic than the original graphics, what BTW Jim proves here with his every build.

But I would like to "challenge" (in a good healthy meaning) that approach some time soon and see how far building a stock version can be pushed to achieve similar results. The kit must have great coloring and graphics to start with. I have actually something on my mind that could do the job, and I hope this would be something interesting to see turning successful or simply failing. It could be a nice experiment.

Watching with delight, Jim.

"None so blind as those that will not see"

Last edited by cotlet; 12-30-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 12-30-2010, 12:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmsjim View Post
Peter, yes I had problems in the rear also. That is where I ended up adding additional frame supports underneath the skins in a number of places.
I have continued adding details on the upper hull. Kind of putting off the suspension stuff since it clearly is the hardest part of the build.
Jim
I'm almost where your at now.. putting the details on the hull and such. Leaving the camo scheme as is, with weathering and wear with pastel chalks.. Will take a break before starting on the suspension.. I'll be following closely to see if you run into any problems there.. Looking great so far, and it will be cool to see how your re-paint goes.. Take a lot of photos..
Cheers..
Google Adsense
Old 01-02-2011, 09:01 AM

Continuing
I then started on the suspension. This is the hardest part of the kit. I built up the two roller support arms. I then glued them to the chassis.

I assembled the drive sprocket axle assembly and glued it onto the chassis along with cross support bars.

I then made up the three dollies. I started with the roadwheels. I made a jig which really helped. This took a while but other than the very fiddly yoke for the idler wheels it was not too difficult. I did have some problems gluing the connecting rods and bars all together. I made up the springs out of solder wire and some plastic coated wire. The springs are actually two different sizes in diameter. The center ones are smaller than the outer ones although the kit instructions tell you to use the same size. Once everything was checked for fit I set them aside since I need to do some painting before gluing them on.

This will be my last post for a couple of weeks since I will be out.

Thanks
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Saint Chamond 1/25-pc020035.jpg   Modelik Saint Chamond 1/25-pc030038.jpg   Modelik Saint Chamond 1/25-pc030040.jpg   Modelik Saint Chamond 1/25-pc040034.jpg   Modelik Saint Chamond 1/25-pc070034.jpg  

Modelik Saint Chamond 1/25-pc070036.jpg   Modelik Saint Chamond 1/25-pc120045.jpg  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Outstanding work on the suspension, Jim. This helps me understand how those articulated bogies worked on the actual tank-cum-self-propelled gun.

Don
Old 01-03-2011, 02:14 PM

I am a ex-armored track commander. I have always been fascinated with the dawn of tanks on the battle field, especially the French designs. This is if you look over the design a very well thought out vehicle. Angled armor front and rear, the main point being deflection of shot. I am a fan of this vehicle and too have one coming, though when I ordered, the laser cut parts were not available, so will go ole school. Have enjoyed your pointing out all the areas to watch out for. Look forward to more.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papercut View Post
I am a ex-armored track commander. I have always been fascinated with the dawn of tanks on the battle field, especially the French designs. This is if you look over the design a very well thought out vehicle. Angled armor front and rear, the main point being deflection of shot.
The St Chamond had some other features like doubled, spaced plate around the front of the tank which suggests, as you say, the design was well thought out. The primary problem with the St Chamond was also its main virtue - the 75mm gun. The choice of gun was more or less forced on St Chamond by General Estienne who had the belief that "whoever mounted a 75mm gun in a tank will win the war". The gun mount in the St Chamond is a field gun without shield, axles or wheels dropped into the tank. This made the front overhang too long and crippled the tank's mobility.

Apparently the crews quite liked the St Chamond, at least they didn't call it the "mobile crematorium" - the nickname for the Schneider CA1.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 01-04-2011, 07:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.24 GB
Outstanding progress... Your photos will be a big help for anyone else building this..
Google Adsense