PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 01-09-2011, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 588.7 KB
Send a message via Skype™ to Whitejd
Russian Light Tank T-70 1/72

I am a very new beginner at building paper (or any other type of) models.
I do have a question adn am not sure this is where to ask but here are some photos of my project, the 1/72 Russian T-70 downloaded from the Download page. I am having problems with the wheels. Seems that the flat part of the wheel (hub I guess you would call it) has a bigger diameter that the curved outer edge. Hope that is somewhat clear. Does anyone have suggestions as to how to create these wheels? Has anyone built this tank and if so do you have photos of your effort?

Thanks and here are the photos of my work so far.

Jerry
Attached Thumbnails
Russian Light Tank T-70 1/72-630a.jpg   Russian Light Tank T-70 1/72-631a.jpg   Russian Light Tank T-70 1/72-632a.jpg   Russian Light Tank T-70 1/72-633a.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
How much bigger - if it's less than a millimeter or so it's probably a minor design error. You can either make the curved part a bit longer or cut the circles a bit smaller.
1/72 is a hard scale to start building cardmodels in - suggest trying something a bit larger until you feel comfortable with the techniques used in cardmodels.

I notice the gun seems a bit long - real T-70s were armed with a 45mm gun which didn't project beyond the front of the hull - T-70 Light Tank Walk Around Page 1.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 588.7 KB
Send a message via Skype™ to Whitejd
Charlie:

I am looking at the download of the Russian T-12 1/33 scale. Seems that the curves would be easier to cut. It will be my next/concurrent? project.

I agree that about the minor design error. I looked up a number of photos of the T-70 on the web when I first started the build and saw some other design errors. The turret hatch is about 4 times the height that it should be, the driver's hatch sticks out way too far, the engine grill is way too high, there is no head light on the left side, the exhaust system does not bend around the way it should, the main gun housing is over size and there are other (oversize parts) issues. Still it is a good, somewhat simple project a newbee like me (and it was free; as I don't want to spend money on kits until I determine how well I can do building these things). I am looking to rebuild this tank and making corrections to the parts that seem to be a bit out of scale. The gun is one item that I will reduce. Thanks for the link to the tank walk-around. That is one site that I had not seen. Great photo's showing more detail. Now back to attempting to make the wheels look the way they should.

Thanks,
Jerry
Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
Cut out the curved part so that it is a little bit longer, then paint the white spot or hide it under the tread.