PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 01-25-2011, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
NEVER get DESPONDENT my friend.... The way you design and build these beauties is most certainly different, and yes, some guys might not chip in through lack of knowledge of this kind of method..... don't mean they don't like what you do, just give 'em time to adjust. I started my way in paper through my own methods too. I see this project VERY enlightening, and great to see new approaches to building things from card stock. I certainly appreciate what you are doing here.
thanks peter for the 'pick up' just me being a bit girl'y!
Old 01-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isievert View Post
I was really skeptical about the UMP photo and thought that it was an airsoft rifle and not entirely made of paper. But, after this build thread and already seeing how it will end (which is really awesome!!!), I now believe that the UMP .45 is made of paper.

How thick are the laminates? do you use special glue and press when gluing those layers? I'm also curious how you'll make the barrel....but I know we'll get there...

Truly amazing!!!!
thanks isievert, its the paint i think that tricks the eye. i have not seen a printed model UMP as yet to compare. ok, the laminates are 1.5mm thick card. the same card used in picture framing and am using it throughout this model only because of all the rounding off that is done around the edges. glue, just common white wood glue, this one goes on white but dries clear and can be used to fill as well. never had to press but one thing i noticed with this one is when you get up 10 layers it does try to slightly bananna. barrel must only be 20mm long placed in a hole, its hidden inside anyway and is just rolled 2oo paper. hope its of help
Old 01-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimpirate View Post
In the 4th post of the thread you mention that you sanded the model to shape. I'm curious are you just sanding the card itself, or is there some sort of "putty/clay/spackle" you've affixed to the model after you glued the laminates together?
hi grim, in truth, just the same as doing a wooden model, i have filed the edges first and as long as you get the glue between each laminate to squosh out of the sides 'then wiped off' it stops the edges from splitting when filing across the grain, after filing the edges will look and feel a bit fluffy but then after a fine paper is used it smooths out. use a course paper for hard to reach areas. no, theres no need for putty/clay etc and again just like wood you can carve and drill it. endless possibillities!
Old 01-25-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opalmox View Post
Life got in the way, and I've been away from the boards for the last several days. But I'll be watching this build with extreme interest.

After reading through a lot of the posts in various builds, I have to say that I feel like a grade schooler amoung a room full of scholars.
welcome back, only making this for your tactical friend in the office
Old 01-25-2011, 05:50 PM

Doctormax > yeh, i can see your point. anyway you should be getting your head down on the B52 .

SteveO > Phew! thought i was in for another telling off .
Google Adsense
Old 01-25-2011, 06:35 PM

Slide finished: rounded off,ejector, sights and the barrel, for what you can see on the outside, consists of @ 20mm long rolled, to a good thickness, 200 weight paper tube stuck through a hole and glued against a card backstop 'lost the pic for this'. Next, both halfs are checked for fit. 'its looking better than i thought! The adjoining faces of both slide and bottom half were sanded to make a good joint using a medium grit paper. the grit paper being placed flat on a table and the part stroked across it making sure to keep it up right and level. Time to tackle the paint next.
Attached Thumbnails
Glock 17 build-glockpro-021.jpg   Glock 17 build-glockpro-022.jpg   Glock 17 build-glockpro-023.jpg   Glock 17 build-glockpro-024.jpg   Glock 17 build-glockpro-025.jpg  

Old 01-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Absolutely splendid craftsmanship Des
Old 01-25-2011, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dessy View Post
SteveO > Phew! thought i was in for another telling off .
I haven't told you off.... yet. j/k

Like I said. This year I want positive vibes man, positive vibes.

1.5 years left till I get my MET certification and I can kiss slogging through life as a lowly Draftsman good bye!!!

:D

ps. Just keep building and while we watch on the edge of our seats with popcorn.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Eternal Member

Well all building is on hold till i get rid of the swine flu, right now my eyes feel like they are about six times to big and my chest feels like an elephant has thought it a great place to sit down. i can barely walk and i am confining myself to bed
Old 01-26-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
I haven't told you off.... yet. j/k

Like I said. This year I want positive vibes man, positive vibes.

1.5 years left till I get my MET certification and I can kiss slogging through life as a lowly Draftsman good bye!!!

:D

ps. Just keep building and while we watch on the edge of our seats with popcorn.
LOL, long drag mate but 1.5 years will soon fly past, it'll all be worth it!
Google Adsense