PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
Mark IV WWI Tank, Build Thread

Mark IV, WWI, Tank, Build Thread. Never done this before so I hope it helps. These are all the parts from sheet 1. Includes: Hull, Vent, Sponsons & Gun Turret Assemblies. Pretty simple build from this point. The most difficult part was installing the top & bottom covers for the Gun Turrets recesses. As you can see from the back view, I didn't do a very neat job installing them, but I figured they wouldn't be seen anyway... BTW the covers for the top and bottom of the gun turrets are on sheet 4. Now on to sheets 2 & 3

Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2011, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
I'll be watching. I've got all three of the FG WWI tanks printed out in 1/35 scale which means some parts on this one had to be cut up into sections. Keep up the good work.
Wayne
Old 01-30-2011, 04:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Subbed to this thread already. Looking forward to watching your progress.

Cheers
Jim
Old 01-30-2011, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Is the model green? or is that a camera artifact? All the British heavy tanks after the Mark I were painted various shades of brown. The gun barrels look a little long - the Mark I had full length 6 Pounders but they were shortened on the Mark IV.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Is the model green? or is that a camera artifact? All the British heavy tanks after the Mark I were painted various shades of brown. The gun barrels look a little long - the Mark I had full length 6 Pounders but they were shortened on the Mark IV.

Regards,

Charlie
Nope not a camera artifact, it really is green. Also for the guns, I thought they looked too long to, so I cut holes in the turrets where they mount and pushed the guns through them. Now the lengths look right.

Greg
Old 01-30-2011, 08:17 PM

CharlieC, Looked at the plans again on the computer, and it is Green. Thought maybe it was my printer. As per the Guns, I'm building it per the Fiddlers Green's plans, which is normally my approach. Afterwards I may modify several things. Like making the gun turrets actually rotate.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:51 PM

This part of the assembly was pretty simple. Had to use caution when glueing the track assemblies to keep them straight. All that is left is install the tracks and a bunch of small detail parts and it's finished.

Old 01-31-2011, 02:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looking good. I like the weathering.

Tim
Old 01-31-2011, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
The model looks great, Bob.

Based on Charlie's critique, it sounds like the model is reasonably accurate except for the gun length (and taper?) and the color. It makes up into a good-looking little model and I suspect that a dusting with Tamiya weathering color or brown chalk would trick the eye into believing it was closer to the right color.

Don
Old 01-31-2011, 07:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I don't know who designed the Mark IV model - but really - white/green/white recognition stripes! I've attached some images of the Mark IV "Lodestar III" at the Royal Army Museum, Brussels. (The images are from Landships II - I should be allowed to use them - I look after the site). This Mark IV is in original condition - never been repainted.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Mark IV WWI Tank, Build Thread-lodestar_iii_16.jpg   Mark IV WWI Tank, Build Thread-lodestar_iii_43.jpg   Mark IV WWI Tank, Build Thread-lodestar_iii_46.jpg  
Google Adsense