PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 08-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 312.3 KB
A monster of a gun

I always liked this photo

Old 08-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
I actually would love to see that use in warfare. If the military will sale dvd blue-ray of A-10 gun camera footage in Iraqi or Afghan, I will totally buy that.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
my war video A-10 Obliterates Taliban Building Afghanistan

I hope this satisfies you Goodduck. Its not gun camera footage but does show the devestating power of that gun.

http://wn.com/The_Connecticut_Air_National_Guard

This video courtesy of the Conn. ANG does have some gun camera footage from the A-10. Some of which is from actual operations and not just training.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Wow! Thanks! Now I really want dvd of that really bad! Was that five rounds in between every tracers? In the first video. The pilot shot for about 1 2/3 sec, so that about 72(?) round of 30mm goes into that building. And that building still standing. That's a good building, with air conditioned.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:24 PM

Here is a video of a system I worked on while I was deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan...

Mortar-Zapping Gun Test - YouTube

CRAM (Mini-gun) in Iraq - YouTube

And here is what it looks like at night...

CRAM firing video

BTW the "popcorn popping" noise you hear in the background is the rounds detonating. That way there is no rain of 20mm rounds falling all over the place.
Google Adsense
Old 08-16-2011, 11:18 PM
Banned

Some statistics: "it fires large depleted uranium armor-piercing shells. In the original design, the pilot could switch between two rates of fire: 2,100 or 4,200 rounds per minute; this was changed to a fixed rate of 3,900 rounds per minute. The cannon takes about half a second to come up to speed, so 50 rounds are fired during the first second, 65 or 70 rounds per second thereafter.

So, in perspective, 65 to 70 rounds per second. That was around 90 or so rounds.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:27 AM

ok, you A10 fanatics. i've managed to skin the sections. did'nt go bad really. because i've had to cut the centre out of the plane i had to really re-enforce the the under belly. i double skinned it with lollypop sticks running from front to back in between the skins and have worked the framework out that will hold the ammo drum. i'm having to leave one of these out till final assembly or i can not fit the drum in! oh yes, also worked out the floor channel, for length and depth because the cannon has to sit fairly low as in the original. there will ge a lot going on in this area, 'gulp'.
Attached Thumbnails
A10 see through-cannon-warthog3-012.jpg   A10 see through-cannon-warthog3-013.jpg  

Last edited by dessy; 08-17-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:38 AM

gamera> i was originally going to make this model as in the photo, on a trailer with a kit VW it really shows the scale of the thing.

goodduck> Now stop it! your getting excited again .

jhsurf> wow! thanks for sharing the great footage. looks a lot like the phalanx but with a bigger bore.

zathros> hell! i dont know why i bother doing all the research. i would be better just e-mailing ya for it! LOL .
Old 08-17-2011, 10:12 AM

Dessy - The CRAM system uses a Phalanx gut firing detonating rounds to shoot down mortars and rockets coming into a base. Each round is a tracer type round that detonates when the tracer "fuel" runs out. Not quite as big as the A-10 gun but still impressive.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHSurf View Post
Dessy - The CRAM system uses a Phalanx gut firing detonating rounds to shoot down mortars and rockets coming into a base. Each round is a tracer type round that detonates when the tracer "fuel" runs out. Not quite as big as the A-10 gun but still impressive.
Hmmmm. this is an interesting piece of kit. i really had no idea that these are on the go over there! do i take it that they act as a sentry for the base and that they are automaticaly on watch 24 hours a day? 'witnessed any knockdowns' if so, i would be glad it was on my side!
Google Adsense