PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 09-04-2011, 10:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
[Sorry, doubling of post by mistake. Admin, please feel free to delete this one.]

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 09-04-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:35 AM

Rivets - yes, if you search for "Rivets" (titles only) you will find no less than five threads on the site, one of them "Rivets! Rivets!" by Jim Nunn, whom you have already met in this thread.

I seem to remember both spackle and acrylic modeling paste figuring there, sometimes in conjunction with coarse syringe needles and plunges, plopping out rivets by the droplets. Or I might be fantasizing...

Leif
Old 09-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Location: Pennsylvania, USA, one state away from Almost Heaven.
Total Downloaded: 0
I am familiar with those posts. The dirt/glue mix proposed and used in Jim's thread is genius. I am not sure which one wrote of spackle, though... to the search engine, Papermodelerman!
Old 09-04-2011, 01:01 PM

Like I said, I might have imagined the spackle/modeling paste use for rivets. You could be a first there... - L.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:17 PM

Karl keep up the good work my king tiger is my first experience with an armor kit and have a stack waiting to be done. So the King Tiger is my learning experience. I am glad that it may be of help in your building as yours has helped me. I really wish modeling companies would stop leaving area where parts attach an unsightly white I do all the same things the guys have said. While tedious edge painting each part is the way to go. All I can say is that I hope each build I do is better than the last Keep up the good work.
Google Adsense
Old 09-04-2011, 04:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.warner View Post
Charlie, the matte acrylic spray you write about.. is that just the same thing as the krylon spray I use right now? I use the krylon matte finish, I think (I am at work) I also still have Don's workable fixatif, which is about the same thing, right? Can I paint over the spray finish?
I think Krylon is an acrylic spray (the same thing) - but I've been caught before with different brand names in different countries. I don't know about the "Don's" product.

You should be able to paint over the spray finish with acrylic paints - not sure about enamels though. Many of the Polish modelers treat their cardmodels in the same way as painting plastic models - many airbrushed paint coats.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 09-23-2011, 10:15 AM

hey haven't seen you post in a while how is the Stuart coming along?
Old 09-23-2011, 01:09 PM

It is coming along great, thanks for the concern! I have been taking good pictures, but I have been working slow due to other things in life. I will probably have a pretty epic post soon concerning the use of my newly aquired paints, my thoughts on left-over pieces that do not seem to fit anywhere, and the utter, tangible fear I feel when I look at the pages and pages...and pages... of tracks that will have to be cut and built. I just have to find two minutes to rub together to be able to write all the modeling-gibberish rattling around in my head down on the forums!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:45 PM

I hear you, I started my King Tiger all the way back in april and it's still not done! My motto is I would rather work slow and have "hopefully" a good looking model instead of hurrying through it and have a bad end build. I should be done in a week or two though and will have some pics to see what you think. Can't wait to see how you've been getting on with it
Old 09-23-2011, 02:02 PM

The problem I am haivng is that I am getting better at this each time I build. So, the work I am doing now is better than when I started... For example, I figured out rivets recently, but I painted some parts before I decided to do rivets. The whole project is like that: I stumble until I get better at a technique, so later parts look better than earlier parts. I have pretty much finished the chassis (as opposed to the tracks, wheels, and turret), so I think I am just gonna start over again and rebuild the chassis from scratch. Then, when I build the rest, I will be attaching other major parts to a better looking chassis. We shall see. The Tiger is looking great, by the wya, I have been following it closely.
Google Adsense