PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 09-11-2011, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Alcan C.L.3 (Italian flame thrower tankette) 1:10

Due to a fulty computer, I begin this build thread/review a few weeks into production but now that is all behind me (I hope)....

The first thing that drew my attention to this kit, other than the unique subjest matter, is it's extreamly large size. This is a big model at 1/10 scale of a relitively small vehicle, the finished kit will be close to 12 1/2 inches long when complete.

A few things about the kit itself...
This is a reletively simple kit, straight forward in construction, nothing too difficult. HOWEVER I Can NOT recomend it to beginners due to the extreamly thin and flimsy paper that it is printed on. The paper is NOT card stock, it is very glossy, text weight paper that mics out under .006" (usual card stock is between .007 to .009") I dont know why Alcan would have printed this kit on such light weight glossy paper???

Okay so, first things first, I gave each sheet two good coats of a clear matte spray to cut the gloss and to help avoid finger printing. Due to the glossy shine on the paper, the oil from my hands was actually leaving fingerprints.

Another reason that I can not recomend this kit to a new builder is because there are NO FORMERS AT ALL provided. There is NO WAY this thing could EVER be built with out them. SO, (sorry I dont have any pictures) I had to scratch build the entire thing out of 1MM Cardboard with lots and lots of center reinforcements using the skins as templates. After all of this, it ended up forming a very strong frame that could be skined like any other model.

After the hull is built, the rest seems pretty simple. For its size, there are not alot of little details to build. Much of the construction is made up of simple boxes and cylinders. Nowhere in the instructions (which by the way are very good) does it call out for any of the parts to be laminated. However common sence takes over and many of the pieces will end up mounted onto 1.0mm cardboard.

The tracks and running gear seem very simple, especially considering what's involved with other models at half the scale but more on that later when I get to them.

One last thing to note about this kit for now... I dont like how EVERY score line is printed across the front of each piece as a dashed line. I guess it good for beginners but come on!. Acrylic paint takes care of them pretty well.

Over all, I think this will be a pretty quick build as there are only 264 pieces call out on the cover.

So stay tuned...I will try to keep the updates coming regurarly.
Attached Thumbnails
Alcan C.L.3 (Italian flame thrower tankette) 1:10-pict0124.jpg   Alcan C.L.3 (Italian flame thrower tankette) 1:10-pict0125.jpg   Alcan C.L.3 (Italian flame thrower tankette) 1:10-pict0126.jpg   Alcan C.L.3 (Italian flame thrower tankette) 1:10-pict0127.jpg   Alcan C.L.3 (Italian flame thrower tankette) 1:10-pict0128.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2011, 04:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Kevin, I can't tell you how great for me it is to see you tackle this one right now! I just pulled this one out and have been trying to sort out whether I want to try and rescale it to 1/72 and make the attempt to build it. I really like these Italian light tanks (or are these tankettes?). I'll be watching very closely to see and hear your experiences building this one. I'm thinking because of its relative simplicity it might be doable at 1/72, but it seems like an awfully large downscale. Any thoughts? Your build looks (not surprisingly) excellent; how is the fit?
Chris
Old 09-11-2011, 05:06 PM

Ouch! You're are a very brave man, Chris. If my calculations are correct, at 1:72 this would turn out to be about 1 3/4 long!!!! I say go for it! This kit would be a great starting point for such a reduction.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great, Kevin! Hope you will bring it to the IPMC next month.

Don
Old 09-11-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
how is the fit?
Chris
So far, flawless, everything fits perfect. I've been removing all of the glue tabs replacing them with internal glue strips as needed.

Don...Dont know about this year's IPMC. Sadly, I dont think I'll be able to exhibit this year, however, I'm trying to free up Saturday morning to at least stop in for a brief visit. :(
(I'll PM you later as details develope)
Google Adsense
Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStephens View Post
Due to a fulty computer, I begin this build thread/review a few weeks into production but now that is all behind me (I hope)....

The first thing that drew my attention to this kit, other than the unique subjest matter, is it's extreamly large size. This is a big model at 1/10 scale of a relitively small vehicle, the finished kit will be close to 12 1/2 inches long when complete.
Personally, I would have scanned that kit. Alcan is out of business, that model is impossible to find, quite easy to find incredible scan of though, which may have added to their demise. Their models are becoming impossible to find now. I also can understand building the original too. Of course, if you scan it, you can print it out on 110 lb. card stock and you won't have the "gloss" and thin paper problem.
Old 09-11-2011, 06:33 PM

I know what you mean about scanning the kit, Zathros, I considered that but was too impatient and had to jump right in. Good news however! I just happen to have an unopened copy of the Aclan C.V. 35 (the twin machine gun version) Basicly it's the exact same model with only a few less parts and different turret guns. Perhaps I will scan the parts that are unique to the C.L.3 before I cut them up so in the future I can build this version again with scans from the C.V. 35 kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Alcan C.L.3 (Italian flame thrower tankette) 1:10-pict0129.jpg  
Old 09-11-2011, 06:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Oooh, that's actually the version that I was thinking of building. I didn't even know they had done a kit of it! It's really just the guns that are different, right? I think I can scratch those if I attempt this at 1/72?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
Oooh, that's actually the version that I was thinking of building. I didn't even know they had done a kit of it! It's really just the guns that are different, right? I think I can scratch those if I attempt this at 1/72?
There's also a fuel tank and piping on the rear deck for the flamethrower.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 09-11-2011, 08:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Kevin, This is looking great! I look forward to seeing your progress on this one.

Jeff
Google Adsense