PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 09-28-2008, 12:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
1/72 JagtTiger

Here is a quick little project that I put together over the weekend...

As you can probably tell from my avatar, I really like this tank. In real life this thing is just massive, It's hard to imagine its size until you see it for yourself. A couple of years ago I had the chance to visit the US Ordnance Museum in Aberdeen, MD and this tank stood out from all the rest, The width of its tracks are just unbelievable, I could not imagine seeing one of these beasts in battle. If you ever have the chance to visit the museum it's a must see, definitely worth the trip.

As for the model, it's a small plain white kit that's one of many available as a free download from Y's paper models. The assembly was very, very basic, only a few parts to put together, not to much more to say about that. This was more of an exercise in painting than anything else. I had the chance to dust off the airbrush and practice a bit. I don't know how historically accurate my paint scheme is, I just copied the colors from a similar tank that I found in an old copy of fine scale modeling.

Before painting anything, I assembled the whole model then gave it two good coats of Krylon matte to seal the surface of the card stock. Then I went to town with the air brush. First, I painted the whole thing with about 3-4 light coats a medium tan color, then went over that in places with a slightly darker shade of the same tan to add some contrast, For the camo pattern, I used an earthy red brown color and olive green. The tracks were brush painted with a muddy looking dark brown color. The paint that I used is just inexpensive acrylic craft paint that you can pick up at any craft store for about $.50 a bottle. After painting and detailing a bit, I weathered the model lightly with some black pastel chalks.

This was a fun little project, I plan to do more like it, maybe next time on a larger scale.

Enjoy.

Google Adsense
Old 09-28-2008, 06:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Always something new and excellent from you, Kevin!

It's a fine little model, especially considering that the actual tank must be rather smaller than the photograph.

I like the little Y's tanks and have tried some of them myself, but not with the results you produce!

Thanks also for the very useful technique info.

Don
Old 09-28-2008, 08:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Nice Kevin!!

I have the 1:25 Jagdtiger from GPM and thats a huge model
Old 09-28-2008, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Nice build of Y's Jagdtiger.

I'd like to see a build of the GPM Jagdtiger.

The Jagdtiger certainly was an impressive looking vehicle but it was (arguably) a failure because it was so underpowered and the transmission was too fragile. Interestingly the 128mm gun was a benchmark the Russians used to compare their armour to after WW2. The IS-7 heavy tank was designed to be impenetrable by 128mm rounds.

Regards,

Charlie