PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 11-22-2011, 08:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
PzKpfw NbFz V - WWII German multi-turreted tank

Just came across this unusual tank that I've never heard of before, a Neubaufahrzeug.

Neubaufahrzeug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They had 3 turrets, one with a short 75mm KwK L/24 main gun and a coaxial 37mm, and two PzKfw I turrets with the standard MG 34 machine guns.

The tanks were used operationally during the invasion of Norway, but they had their biggest value as propaganda which deterred development of Russian medium anti-tank guns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/76_mm_d...n_M1942_(ZiS-3)

I don't have the CAD program to create a cardmodel of this myself, but it looks like it would be a fascinating subject for somebody with the right skills.
Google Adsense
Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Someone should make a model of it!
Old 11-22-2011, 08:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
It's already available GPM - modele kartonowe

Model under construction by the designer

WWW.KONRADUS.COM - FORUM MODELARZY KARTONOWYCH - Odp: [Relacja] Neubaufahrzeuge V- projekt w?asny

and completed

WWW.KONRADUS.COM - FORUM MODELARZY KARTONOWYCH - Odp: [Galeria] Neubaufahrzeug VI - projekt w?asny
Old 11-23-2011, 05:15 PM

Seems to me I read about these tanks in a publicaion one, I think it was an issue of AIRFIX magazine, at least one was used in the Norway invasion, and became bogged down and had to be blown up by the Nazis
Old 11-23-2011, 05:29 PM

Crap Mike beat me to it Yep GPM I think they released it this year.
Google Adsense
Old 11-23-2011, 08:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
The Neubau-Panzerkampfwagen IV was one of a series of development tanks starting in the 1920s that finally resulted in the Panzer IV. There were only 3 tanks built in armour plate (and a couple built in mild steel). The armour was only 10-20mm thick - barely enough to protect the tank from small arms fire. The engine was a converted BMW aeroengine which was never a good idea for a tank - the transmission has to be quite massive to handle the torque at low revs. The tank weighed 23 tons so it wasn't in the heavy tank class as the propaganda in 1940 tried to suggest.

The sub-turrets were a common design idea on 1930s tanks - the Russian T-28 and early British cruiser tanks had them. The Russian heavy T-35 tank took this idea to silly extent - it had 4 sub-turrets.

Even stranger in the development of the medium tank in Germany was the Grosstraktor from the 1920s which had a tail turret like the French FCM 2C.

Regards,

Charlie