PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hiya,

I had some spare time (that's the only thing I can get being off sick xD) so I spent it making hatches, hinges and general front details... it is just small update, but I think hinges - especially ones to work - require caution and precision (yeah right, I wish). So ... I chose making mine in standard, used parts provided by the kit. There was a lot of rolling involved as Modelik's design is based on strip rolled out of off-set paper. I think this is the best way of making tubes, axis and such parts of greater diameter (great sticking surface but not only!).

This time though it were very tiny tubes rolled on the PIN. I do not use glue but just on the last part of the strip to keep it rolled, I tried many times gluing whole length and never had proper diameter and my parts just got really messy.

If anybody wants to know how to roll a tube out of paper without cracks and visible damages to the paper (seen that a lot across building reports x|)- let me know, there are at least few ways of doing that I know.

Front hatches with working hinges were completed, drivers hatch and visors are also applied. I spent some time considering option of cutting out white fields in visors and I am glad it happened (7 more to go with commander's cupola x})

That would be all for today:]

Cheers!
Old 07-05-2012, 11:31 PM

Excellent work!
Old 07-06-2012, 08:22 AM

Far from it yet, but I try to do my best:P
Old 07-07-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetzer View Post
Far from it yet, but I try to do my best:P
are you kidding? your attention to details is remarkable!
Old 07-14-2012, 06:01 AM

Hiya,

Thanks Fargo,

I made commanders cupola and loaders hatch. Both can be opened.

For commanders cupola, it's quite awkward to make, as few different angles are involved. I started with "mushroom" - top plate with inner wall, than built cupola but before fixing it to the top I checked if it fits to top plate and keeps it's shape. Hatch with hinges was made after and visors and "crown" last. White fields in visors were cut out and replaced by clear film.

Cheers!
Google Adsense
Old 07-14-2012, 06:38 AM

Looks great! I like the idea of adding the clear plastic for the viewers, looks awesome!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:38 PM

Hiya,

It surely makes visors to stand out but folding small boxes like that is quite tricky and I need bit more practice next time;p

Spare wheels basket, side wall spare track bracket and engine section hatches are done (both can be opened) and rivets added where possible.

Not many components left for now^^

Cheers
Old 07-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Nice neat cutting on the engine grills

Really like the Modelik level of detail. Not too much to put you off.

Tim
Old 07-22-2012, 11:24 PM

Hiya,

Cutting it out took some time, all done by little single cuts (with a bit more patience local scrap yard would need to send a lorry to pick up my broken blades;P).

As card is thickened here and both sides of each hatch were done separately. I do not struggle with more than 0,5 - 0,7 mm. I'd rather prefer cutting twice (one side has 0,5 card + paper from the kit, other thickened with bristol paper) then fix it together back to back and use super glue and sanding paper if required.

I do enjoy designs by Mr. Rychard (Horch, Hummel, Puma and plenty others), despite simple paint job (usually one color sometimes with a bit of a camouflage) models look great. It also may be a base for all custom works, or if somebody fancy it - painting (whole process for painting plastic models can easily be applied to paper). It's easier to let go and repaint Modeliks than models from Gpm which have splendid, eye catching multicolor paint jobs. And for me... Modelik is one of the first manufacturers I came across, so I got little sentiment for it and usually I am not let down. As for details I notice more and more which can be custom made but that is a story for skill development section^^

Cheers!
Old 07-29-2012, 12:36 PM

Hiya,

Back engine plate is finished. It seems the fewer the parts the longer it takes:P

I also made base for gun barrel shaped like a snout ("Saukopfblende"). If not for super glue I would probably end up swearing a lot. Main part of the gun has many angles and curves not exactly co - operating, but I managed to keep right shape.

Cheers!
Google Adsense