Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.52 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanmodels View Post
nice looking forge Mike
Thank you, glad you liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
Wow Civil War stuff made me think of photo the wife found of my GG grand dad... Attachment 146735....

Just kidding it's me and the wife at the fair last month.....Rich

Oh and very cool model !!
Rich, looking good in that photo, have some of my own with me and the kids, but did the old west theme. Glad you liked the forge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
You guys look splendid I agree also that the model{s} are very nice indeed !
Thanks Peter, for dropping in, of course you already know we have the English and French to thank for most of the technical advances we started with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richkat View Post
All kidding aside those are some GREAT looking models! would love to get a chance to build them!.....Rich
Oh and thanks Peter
With any luck will have something soon, I have been working on laser cutting the 1mm card for the wheels, that is the most boring part of the build, lots of wheels in this series, I'm hoping the laser cut option makes it more palatable for everyone.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:28 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
looking great buddy!
Old 11-11-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasmarrel View Post
Have you seen the Model Expo Guns of History line of 1:16 offerings in mixed media? Love your versions using paper, amazing technique.
Absolutely, when doing research on these models you can't help but run into those models. White cast metal, painted with , a little wood.

Mine are all paper with the chains out of metal. The fittings are 18 gauge aluminum wire formed with pliers and cutters, it does help to have a small pair of jewelers pliers for turning rings, very cheap to buy and indispensable in all areas of paper modeling.

Most of the solid details come from photos shot by re-enactors who do this slice of history a great service by keeping the details of the time alive for the rest of us to observe.
Old 11-11-2012, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperwarrior View Post
Excellent model. I appreciate models like this as many people just think of the cannon and the limber when they think of Civil War (and later) artillery. Some will know about the caisson. But many folks don't know about all the other carriages and wagons that were in batteries. This one was a very important one. It isn't like you could just stop off at NAPA or Western Auto to pick up a part or shoe a horse. You had to be able to make/do it yourself. Again, great model. I'm looking forward to seeing the bellows.

Jeff
Hey Jeff, hope this Veterans day is treating you well, I agree with you, no easy way to fix things in the field, so this was a service van, not much different than mobile services we have today, oh except for the multitude of lead flying through the air.

I loved the photo, was just talking about guys like you in the previous post. The forge had a big lack of info available. Lots of general info, very little hard details. Officers field description best reference by far with a superb verbal description of the parts.

Thanks for following the thread
Old 11-11-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
looking great buddy!
Thanks Chris. Appreciate that vote of confidence...
Google Adsense
Old 11-13-2012, 03:49 PM

Working Bellows and Cutaway display option

Here I am going to show you the cutaway option for the display of the bellows. I saw no sense in showing the bellows if you were only going to hide it. So this is going into the model kit as an option. It is very simple to make and to my surprise worked. I did not put in the flapper valves but they could be added. I have included a short video to show the bellows in action. I will most likely do a build thread on this whole Forge for those who may be inclined to want to build the Battery series of these card models.

This is the finished bellows.
So this is the part working in my dirty fingers

Old 11-14-2012, 06:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Awesome work on the bellows. The cutaway came out excellent. I feel like I am at the Forge Operator's Course looking at the Training Aid.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperwarrior View Post
Awesome work on the bellows. The cutaway came out excellent. I feel like I am at the Forge Operator's Course looking at the Training Aid.

Jeff
Wow, I had no idea they even had such a course. Interesting.

Cutaway seem to be the sensible approach to the bellows. The real access of course was through the rear, behind the coal storage
Old 11-14-2012, 07:04 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 23.70 MB
Great job on the bellows. A good concept of the cut away version, I had not considered that option. Will you red line the cut away section later? Waiting for your next item on your list.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silveroxide View Post
Great job on the bellows. A good concept of the cut away version, I had not considered that option. Will you red line the cut away section later? Waiting for your next item on your list.
Good point, I never considered the red line. Amazing how the little things escape....
Google Adsense