PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 02-19-2014, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.42 MB
1/25 maz 537g

HEY ALL,

So I have had some requests to post this build. Even tho ENRICO is still posting his design and build, I thought I would post my build to encorage people to give this model a try.

I was originaly attracted to this design because of the work Enrico is doing with his build, and because of the complexities of this kit. The current postings are quite masterfull and are really something to live up to. I am not a master builder, or designer, but I sure seem attracted to models with a high number of parts counts and above average complexities with the build.

Also, I may not have attempted this build without Enrico's photo log and comments about the MAZ. The fact that I can back up any questions with a quick look at Enrico's photo jurnal along with the printed instructions, helps to the point that, I might be able to finish this complex build sometime soon.

Those of you that have seen my other build (crawler) know that I do love to build the kits that seem to take some time to complete and with much building challenges.

And so, I will attempt to post here on a regular basis (in between the crawler postings). Any questions about the build are encoraged and any tips I can offer to someone who want to attempt this kit, I will answer if I can. Hope you enjoy two threads about this one subject.

So, about the kit. Watching Enrico build his original version, I felt that I would enlarge this design abit. The original post is a scale of 1/35. At 1/35, this will lend itself to building a diorama and all the extras that can be had at that scale. However here in USA I felt that to build in 1/25 scale is much more in keeping with USA scales and also to help in making this complex kit a little easyer to work with.

The print sheet of the 1/35 scale plans would fit onto 8.5 x 11 and would be a great size to work with. However I used 11 x 17 sheets to accomidate the size increase to 1/25. I also had some problems with the paper weight here in the USA. I had a compromise to start with, in that the paper selection I had to work with was not quite accurate. To enlarge this kit to 1/25, I also had to enlarge the paper weight. To be true to scale I needed an 80 lb paper or so. The closest I could come up with at my hometown printers was a card stock of 100 lbs. This is maybe slightly on the thik side, but my feelings at the moment were, that I would rather deal with a slightly heaver paper weight than a weight that was to thin.

This is a heavy industrial armor machine, and the little extra paper weight seems to add to the abstract characture of the machine. The heavy paper feels like a thick steel/iron when applied to the kit build. after the paint and weather effects, the thicker paper looks great and feels like a heavy piece of machinery.

So, Photo #1, The main frame printed onto 11 x 17, 100lb card stock. This size increase enlarged the frame from about 9 inches to over 12 inches.

Photo #2, Parts to cut out for the main frame.

Photo #3, The two side rails, cut, and folded to shape.

photo #4, This is the front business end of the frame.

Photo #5, This is the drive end of the rails.
Attached Thumbnails
1/25 maz 537g-img_1360.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1363.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1364.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1365.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1367.jpg  

1/25 maz 537g-img_1368.jpg  
Old 02-20-2014, 04:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
I'm glad to see that you have started work on the maz!

Good work.....and if you have any doubt, you ask me!
Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Cool will be following along with great interest.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:34 AM

ENRICO,
Thanks for the encoragement. I only had a couple of issues but, I was able to look at your posting and how you have built the areas and all is good. If I have a major problem I will contact you for help, Thanks.

WHULSEY,
Thanks for following along! This kit is parts intensive so for, but thats the very reason that I chose to build this kit. Very labor intesive, but what a way to relax.

HEY ALL,

More of the MAZ build.
In this series of photos I am still working on the frame. At this point in the build, all things MAZ are still very clean and crisp looking. It wont be long before I hammer this build with paint and weathering and grime and rust and stuff. Anyway...

Photo #1, Parts for the front bumper.

Photo #2, The front bumper installed, and this is a view from the underside so you can see the construction of the parts.

Photo #3, This photo is of the frame rails with the support bracket location numbers. Parts 40, 28, and 25 are all for the drive train.

Photo #4, Drive train supports all cut and ready to bend and install.

Photo #5, Support bracing installed.

Photo #6, Support bracing as viewed from the bottom of the frame. The frame is upside down and viewed from the front.

Photo #7, The foot locker that is to be installed inside the frame rails and located at the back of the frame. And some other do-dad. I had an idea of building Erico's toolbox download and install on the inside of the foot locker with some tools and stuff inside. Just to help fill the empty space.

So the build is going great so far and all the small parts are quite labor intensive, but I really like the way that this kit is comming together. By the time I start with the painting, this should look really used and abused.

Thats all for now, I'll show more when the build continues. Thanks for watching!
Attached Thumbnails
1/25 maz 537g-img_1383.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1386.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1366.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1374.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1376.jpg  

1/25 maz 537g-img_1377.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1355.jpg  
Old 02-23-2014, 03:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
doing good work Richo just got a new printer that can take a3 paper so can print this out at the same scale as yours 1:25

Google Adsense
Old 02-23-2014, 05:45 PM

DUDE, I'd kill for a printer like that! Can you run heavy paper through it?
Old 03-01-2014, 09:58 AM

HEY ALL,

So now I am building the internal bracing and support structures. Once again, this is mostly a labor of love, to cut out all the small parts, and all the tube rolling.

The internal bracing is not to complicated and the open space makes the instalation easy. I did find that I could have saved myself some stress with a slightly different build sequence. This comes with experiance tho, this is only the secound kit that I have worked on (swing arm #9, not withstanding).

Photo #1, Parts for the internal bracing.

Photo #2, These are parts for the through shafts that help with the supension. You can see the support bracing glued into place on the frame.

Photo's #3, and 4, More internal parts cut out.

Photo #5, Parts rolled and glued. I have a hunch that these parts are for some sort of tenssion bars for the supension.

photo #6, here you can see how these parts are mounted onto the frame. These are mounted straight through the frame at a piont where the supension gear mounts to the outside of the frame. Thats why I'm guessing that they are used for some sort of tension bars.

It is at this point that I should not have mounted these just yet. If I had waited to install these pieces untill later, the installation of the Engine, Transmission, Transfer Cases and Gear Boxes with Drive Shafts would have gone much easyer! Then I could have gone back and installed these after the drive train assemblies. Live and Learn.

Thats it for now, more soon. Thank
Attached Thumbnails
1/25 maz 537g-img_1369.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1379.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1380.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1378.jpg   1/25 maz 537g-img_1381.jpg  

1/25 maz 537g-img_1382.jpg  
Old 03-01-2014, 10:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Looks like she is building up nicely

Tim
Old 03-01-2014, 02:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 11.18 MB
It's nice to see grow my...ehm sorry...Your Maz!!
Old 03-01-2014, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichO View Post
DUDE, I'd kill for a printer like that! Can you run heavy paper through it?
I bought a Brother MFC-J4510DW last year and it will take manually-fed A3 sheets, certainly up to 200gsm and I suspect heavier as it is a straight-through feed...after the cashback rebate, it wasn't that expensive so maybe have a scout around your local suppliers...
Google Adsense