PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 03-30-2013, 05:07 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Modelik 1:25 Kettenkrad

Or, to give it its full title, Modelik Sd Kfz 2 NSU "Kettenkrad." "Scary Kettenkrad" is just my pet name for it. I should explain that the reason I find this model daunting is not because the parts are numerous or small, but because I haven't built a complex, "quality" model like this before, and I feel I need to step up my skills to do it justice.

The parts need to be laminated to various thicknesses of stock: 0.2mm, 0.5mm, 1.0mm, and 2.0mm. Jim Nunn kindly informed me that each sheet of 67# card stock is 0.25mm thick, so I laminated up the right number of sheets for each thickness.

My next idea is either clever or a reason I'll need to buy another kit. I rough-cut and sorted all the parts, then arranged each group face down on a piece of copy paper, and position glued them with one or two tiny dots of white glue, applied in the unprinted margin. I drew separation lines with a Sharpie. Then I "hinged" them to the laminating stock, sprayed the stock with glue, and laminated. With any luck the copy paper will fall away when I separate the parts. The pictures explain it better.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik 1:25 Kettenkrad-gedc0120.jpg   Modelik 1:25 Kettenkrad-gedc0122.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2013, 05:58 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Hmm, very interesting. I eagerly await the results of this....

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 03-30-2013, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Anne,
I have no doubt that you will do a fantastic job on the kettenkrad.
I look forward to following along
Old 03-30-2013, 09:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Hiya,

Kettenkrad from modelik is pretty nice kit, small but very much satisfactory!

Here is some reference:
Mike's Modeling: Sdkfz 2 NSU Kettenkrad

Good luck!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Had forgot I had some shots of one from the Lyon Museum, but see a link to some detail shots has been posted. Anyway here's some more.
2011-10-23 Lyon Air Museum Costa Mesa CA - Wayne Hulsey (whulsey)'s Photos

Any of you designers that want to look through here there's some other stuff that would be interesting models.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik 1:25 Kettenkrad-nsu-201934-20kettenkrad-20hk101-20guages-l.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-04-2013, 09:31 PM

Hello Anne, I must confess that I panicked when I saw a girl in the armoury, shame on me. It looks like you are off to a good start. Welcome!
Old 04-05-2013, 03:30 AM

I'm making slow progress. Last night I sorted all the parts into numerical order, cut a few pieces out, and applied the first glue. I should be far enough along to take a couple of pictures in a day or two. I discovered to my dismay that the positioning glue from the laminating phase spread a little too far and spoiled three parts, so I'll have to come up with a fix there. The edge coloring is a pretty good match (Caran D'Ache Neocolor II wax pastel crayon in Golden Ochre). At first I thought the mustard yellow color was pretty ugly, but I'm warming to it.

Legoman -- heh. I know what you mean. A woman's place is in the cockpit, but I'm branching out from airplanes.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 481.4 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amccombs3 View Post
. . . A woman's place is in the cockpit, but I'm branching out from airplanes.
Nice one!

Can't wait to see your progress.

vbsargent
Old 04-05-2013, 08:23 PM

Quick progress report after about an hour and a half at the workbench. I've glued most of the parts numbered 1, 2, and 3 into a framework, and have learned many new mistakes. I managed to glue the front rectangular part in crooked at first, but the glue didn't stick very well so it wasn't too hard to correct. I am also having a LOT of trouble figuring out which edges should be colored. Modelik has thoughtfully supplied edge-covering pieces here and there, and I'm never sure whether the edge I'm coloring will then have to be scraped down so the glue might stick when I add the cover piece I've belatedly discovered. I was fairly convinced for a while that Modelik had confused left and right on two parts, until I found out that it was me that had them confused (and upside down to boot). I keep telling myself it's a learning experience. At any rate, here are a couple of photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik 1:25 Kettenkrad-gedc0124.jpg   Modelik 1:25 Kettenkrad-gedc0125.jpg  
Old 04-05-2013, 11:33 PM

Hiya!

If you are not sure which strips are covering edges - just paint all edges ... never fails (or check here for I had not been painting any edges back then so everything is visible and white, after some time it really does not look that great with no paint, I have to admit:P).

As far as I remember model is designed pretty well, had only trouble fitting bottom body cover at rear section, 1 - 1,5 mm was off, it may have been me though.

Cheers!
Google Adsense