PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 09-01-2020, 01:02 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Igor - I was feeling sad as I thought it was nearly done...

Then I remembered - still the turret!
Old 09-01-2020, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Such clean work 👍
Old 09-02-2020, 01:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks Kevin and gotham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Igor - I was feeling sad as I thought it was nearly done...

Then I remembered - still the turret!
Yep, and don't forget suspension and all the bits on top of the hull
Old 09-02-2020, 03:02 AM
Eternal Member

And talking about the turret, the camouflage always seen on the barrel of the Firefly is interesting.

The background is the 17 pounder gun was capable of taking out Tiger and Panthers - in recognition of the threat it posed the Germans issued an instruction that these tanks should be made a priority target.

In response to this, the British developed camouflage to make the Firefly gun resemble a 75mm Sherman from a distance.

The technical information on this is quite interesting - I hope you enjoy it Igor!

First an extract from a contemporary Firefly manual used in the Middle East theatre -

10 Camouflage of 17-pr Gun Mounted in Sherman Tank.
The 17-pr gun barrel is approx twice the length of that of the 75mm gun previously mounted. A tank so armed is therefore easily recognisable and when used in support of tanks armed with 75mm gun, is likely to be a target for concentrated enemy fire.

In early October, 1944, G(Cam) Eighth Army were asked for advice on the disguise of the 17-pr gun.

Two methods have been adopted as follows:-

Method A.
A false muzzle brake is fitted approximately half-way along the barrel; its distance from the turret being equal to the length of a 75mm gun. The forepart of the barrel is then "countershaded" with white paint to reduce its visibility. The result is an apparent reduction in the length of the barrel. The use of the false muzzle brake was found essential to provide a clear cut termination of the untreated portion of the barrel.

Method B.
A dummy 75mm gun is mounted on the wireless box at the rear of the turret. When the tank is not in action the turret is reversed. The dummy gun is then at the front of the tank and the 17-pr is concealed with foliage behind. Method A can be employed alone, but its use was also recommended in conjunction with Method B to disguise the 17-pr when in action and to reduce visibility of the portion which cannot be covered when the gun is not in action.

17-prs on Sherman tanks are therefore being treated as in Method A whether Method B is employed or not.

A demonstration of both methods was given at RICCIONE on 18 Oct. It was attended by representatives from armoured formations etc., who were asked to state which of the two methods was preferred. Method A met with general approval, whereas reactions to Method B were, as was expected, somewhat varied.

Objections to Method B included the following:-
(a) The danger of both guns being observed.
(b) The possible difficulty, in close country, of rotating the turret in order to bring the 17-pr into action.
(c) The probable adverse effect on confidence of tank crews of moving into action with the turret and 17-pr in the reverse position. Method B, however, was thought good enough to make it worth while manufacturing dummy 75mm guns for use when thought practicable. It was considered that, whatever its limitations might be, it was at least a good method of concealing the identity of the 17-pr Sherman in any concentration area under observation.

50 dummy 75mm guns have been manufactured up to the present date and 24 have so far been fitted.

The barrel camouflage (Method A) was very effective in practise. It looks odd looked at from above, but from gound level is works very well indeed. The wavy line broke up the white paint used and also helped disguise the barrel against foliage. See the picture below with shows off the effectiveness well. Back off from your PC screen and view it from a distance and you will see the effect working!

So good was the camouflage in fact that it was decided to drop the dummy muzzle brake (used originally to more clearly "define" the "75mm" gun). Not having the muzzle brake was felt to be an added advantage anyway, as the 75mm did not have a muzzle brake!

The drawings below are from one of the original manuals and illustrate the methods used.

Method A

Below is a picture of a Firefly with the "muzzle brake".

Method B

Method B was really stillborn - I can find no reference to it actually being used for real. I have never seen a photo either of an actual Firefly fitted out like this!
Attached Thumbnails
M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25-firefly1.jpg   M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25-firefly2.jpg   M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25-firefly3.jpg   M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25-01-apgshermanfireflyichybrid5canadianadportenhollandapril1945.jpg   M4A4 Sherman VC Firefly, Halinski 1:25-sher2.jpg  

Old 09-02-2020, 05:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Really interesting info, Kevin. Great how this hobby is not just building things, but finding out info on the subject.
Old 09-02-2020, 10:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 70.75 MB
Send a message via MSN to Lex
The countershaded barrel absolutely fooled me when I first saw it at a model expo. Its effectiveness can not be denied :P
Old 09-03-2020, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
i was dobeuse about it when making the model but it does work the end of the barrel does disaper.

Old 09-03-2020, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Shermans, still classic after all these years.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Kevin, thank you! This was very informative, though i already knew in general about this trick with Method A.
And yes, there is an option the model to assemble barrel with camouflage.

gotham, i agree. And it is interesting to learn about details all the way.

southwestforests, true true
Old 09-04-2020, 03:28 AM
Eternal Member

Igor - interesting. You are saying there are two options for the barrel in the kit - one camouflaged and one not?