PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go

I have never seen an episode of this anime, but in digging through the fandom world in search of information, I have to admit I've become a bit of a fan.

Synopsis: The Type 89 I-Go is operated by the Duck Team who attend Ooarai Girl's Academy which (like the other competing schools) is housed on an aircraft carrier. The girls were members of the school's defunct volleyball team, and became the crew of an obsolete Type 89 when their school added "Tankery" to the curriculum. Found deep in a cave on the side of a sheer cliff face, the girls somehow managed to extricate the I-Go, and restore it to fighting condition. Hoping to encourage the academy to resurrect their beloved volleyball program, in addition to the school's logo the tank was initially painted with volleyballs and the slogan "Volleyball Team Revival" in Kanji. In later episodes it has been repainted, and only sports the logos of their school and the duck team. Anyway, they engage in tank battles with other teams from OOarai as well as other schools. The schools and team members are all stereotypically themed after various WWII countries (Japan, Germany, Italy, USA, France, England, USSR), and fight in the tanks from those countries. Miraculously, no one is ever seriously hurt, and the tanks are speedily repaired to fight another day.

The model: can be downloaded here ガールズ&パンツァー(GIRLS und PANZER)|配布 along with an Italian CV33 and a French ARL44. The scale isn't stated, but printed at 100% it works out to be 1/35. The model of the I-Go is liveried as it appears most of the time in the series, but since I can never leave well enough alone, I had to repaint it to its earliest incarnation with the help of an image of a decal sheet that I found online. I reinforced much of the interior with corrugated cardboard. The fit of all the parts was excellent, and with the help of clear illustrated instructions, resulted in a very enjoyable build. Much like the anime itself, the model's texturing is an odd combination of accuracy and cartooniness, with realistic cast shadows coupled with starkly white open areas. I decided to print out scaled images of the Duck Team members to accompany the tank.

I may build the CV33 tankette next. I'll scale it down to 1/35 and will probably add some members of the Anzio tank crew as well (Anchovy, Carpaccio, and Pepperoni). Told you about the stereotyping.
Attached Thumbnails
Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-.jpg   Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-b.jpg   Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-c.jpg   Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-d.jpg   Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-e.jpg  

Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-type-89-f.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2019, 12:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks great, Don!

I think this is one of the very few, if not the only, paper model of a Type 89 (one of the most widely-used Japanese pre- and early-war tanks). Look like it could be modeled as a historic Type 89 with some recoloring.

These Japanese anime are fascinating. There is another one called Kancolle (Kantai, or "Fleet," Collection) in which all of the girl characters are named after and have characteristics of IJN ships, including Akitsu Maru currently offered by Hobby Model Japan and being constructed by Forum member cardist. https://kancolle.fandom.com/wiki/Akitsu_Maru
Hobby Model Japan Akitsumaru

Don
Old 06-18-2019, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Nice one. Made me smile...
Old 06-18-2019, 02:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Talking of anime - try out Tank Police. Yes, they fight crime in tanks. Love me so e anime madness.
Old 06-18-2019, 08:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Warning: the only paper model-related aspect of this post is at the very end.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
I have never seen an episode of this anime, but in digging through the fandom world in search of information, I have to admit I've become a bit of a fan.
Try it. It's a variation of the school sport team+save your beloved institution themes, with an incredibly large but distinctive cast and excellent soundtrack (BTW each school has a real-world hymn/theme song; the Russian one became viral).
Quote:
...is housed on an aircraft carrier
More like floating cities, but their shapes do resemble carriers of the country related to the school.
Quote:
Miraculously, no one is ever seriously hurt
There's a brief in-universe explanation that the tanks's inner lining is impervious to damage, and technological gizmos measure the theoretical damage and automatically raise the white flags which signal a tank is "killed". No mention about the usage of machine guns and riding a tank in rough terrain without at least a helmet, though; BTW why fielding CV33s if their guns are useless against armor?
Quote:
...but since I can never leave well enough alone, I had to repaint it to its earliest incarnation with the help of an image of a decal sheet that I found online
Beautiful job as always.
Quote:
...I may build the CV33 tankette next. I'll scale it down to 1/35
You're probably aware that other GuP model/liveries are available: 1/50 StuG III (with an alternate texture even more outrageous than Duck Team's), Jagdpanzer 38 and Type 3 Chi-nu at WoPT; 1/72 Chaffee, Centurion, P40, Karl Gerat, BT-42, Crusader, Type 97 Te-ke and Type 95 Ha-go at Hako no Koubou. The latter has also the M3, Tiger (P), and many other models present in GuP, but IIRC not in GuP livery (pity, Rabbit Team's badge is cute).
Google Adsense
Old 06-19-2019, 05:43 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Many thanks for your comments, fellas. Cfuruti, I haven't watched any episodes, but it's not for lack of trying. I have Netflix and Prime, and neither of them has the series, although Prime has a GuP icon that you can add to your watchlist (a cruel tease, that). An impervious inner lining - why haven't our militaries thought of that, LOL. I am aware of the GuP offerings by WoT and Box Studio - I've actually modified a few of those kits by adding correct national markings - will build them someday. The I-Go was a quick diversion from a more parts heavy Warhammer 40K recolor/build that I have well underway. Don and Gotham, thank you for your anime suggestions. I actually like the genre very much, so I'll see if I can find them.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Go "Dominion:Tank Police" !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Girls und Panzer Type 89 I-Go-740full-dominion-tank-police-photo.jpg  
Old 06-19-2019, 07:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
although Prime has a GuP icon that you can add to your watchlist (a cruel tease, that).
IIRC first time I watched GuP at YouTube...
Quote:
An impervious inner lining - why haven't our militaries thought of that, LOL
Wars would become videogame or sport events with higher stakes.
Quote:
I am aware of the GuP offerings by WoT and Box Studio
I had failed to to mention Niku Mansei y[p[NtgŃ_E[hEт*‚܂Iu܂񂹂*ԁvF̖, which includes SDish Type 10, PzKpfw IV, Jagdpanzer 38 and Maus. Their color schemes are clearly derived from GuP, but markings differ - for instance, Niku Mansei's mascot instead of the anglerfish. I don't know what's the deal here, unlike WoPT which has/had a business agreement with GuP's staff for mutual promotion.
Quote:
Don and Gotham, thank you for your anime suggestions. I actually like the genre very much, so I'll see if I can find them.
KanColle is harder to characterize, the premise reflects the anthropomorphism so typical of the Japanese. Therefore you'll see much less mechanical stuff than in GuP. But the voice cast is also impressive, and soundtrack on par (yes, I pay a lot of attention to soundtracks).

Last edited by cfuruti; 06-19-2019 at 07:36 AM. Reason: I never get those pesky URLs right...
Old 09-25-2022, 12:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 81.64 MB
nice work!
i downloaded the CV33 and ARL44 from there, but the problem is doesn't say what scale it is on Type 89, on the other does.
does anybody know what is the scale of the 89 one?
Old 09-25-2022, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.48 GB
children? tanks, anime? sorry i really dont know the appeal of Japanese cartoons. teen girls driving tanks and killing things is really weird...sort of like the hunger games...teens killing teens for the entertainment of hollywood fans...yes fake but not really to my taste... the tank models are nice, and well crafted though

but each their own i say
Google Adsense