PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 04-14-2021, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Time for another update.

Before I go any further I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and kind words - much appreciated!

As work continues on the engine compartment I would like to share some pictures of the engine and (I'm not sure what it is) so for now I'll call it an "Auxiliary engine" until someone corrects me.

As for the construction, the parts continue to fit well. The only exception are the strips or bands that wrap around cylindrical pieces. I always find them to be a bit short - in this case about 1mm, so don't trim to length until final gluing otherwise, you may end up short. This may be in part to my building style because it seems to be the case on every model I build. Anyway, its no big deal.

So, can any of you tank experts tell me what that smaller engine is? It's mounted on the left side of the engine compartment just under the radiator.
I've googled it but can't find it anywhere. I found pictures that closely resemble it but unfortunately no description. - I have seen the terms turret motor, generator, and aux engine but nothing that tells me exactly what this is.

Next up will be the radiator and cooling fan assembly.

Enough rambling...please enjoy the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Panzer IV-pict0001.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0002.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0003.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0004.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0005.jpg  

GPM Panzer IV-pict0006.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0007.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0009.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0010.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0011.jpg  

GPM Panzer IV-pict0012.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0013.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0014.jpg  
Old 04-16-2021, 06:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great build so far. Nice and clean.
If i remember correct, I also had strip length issue with all GPM models.
Probably GPM designers doesn't know about Pi constant

About "auxiliary engine" - i assume it also can be oil cooler, like on Tiger engine.
Old 04-16-2021, 02:26 PM

Location: Wichita, Kansas currently originally from Toronto, Ontario
Total Downloaded: 111.04 MB
Just a guess, some tanks have small engines to power a generator to permit charging batteries, using radios without running main engine. According to Wikipedia "cold weather performance was boosted by adding a device to heat the engine's coolant, as well as a starter fluid injector." maybe a pre-heater?
Old 04-16-2021, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Kevin -

It looks great.

I do not know what that engine is, but as I recall, back in the early 60s when I was a rifle platoon leader, the gasoline-powered M48 tanks had an auxiliary engine that the crews called the "little joe." It was used to charge the batteries and to power the electrical system without having to fire up the main engine.

I seem to recall that when they installed multifuel engines in the M48s, they found that Little Joe used up more fuel than the main engine, so they removed them.

Keep in mind that I was an infantry officer, not a tanker, so my knowledge of tanks isn't that great. Also, my memory may be playing me tricks, or I may simply be wrong. If so, I trust that someone with more reliable knowledge than me will weigh in with the pukka gen.

Don

Added: PaperMangler posted while I was typing. I defer to his knowledge.

Last edited by Don Boose; 04-16-2021 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Add information.
Old 04-22-2021, 09:32 AM

Thank you for your thoughts on the aux engine - all sound good to me.

Moving on with the radiator and cooling fan.
I just discovered a problem with the cooling fan assembly.
In the instructions that detail part 52, part 52n is shown to be attached on the right side, however in reality it should be attached on the left. The correct orientation is shown on another drawing that i missed until now.
It's too late to redo the part so I'm going to live with it hoping no one will notice. Oh well it could be worse.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Panzer IV-pict0020.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0021.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0016.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0017.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0018.jpg  

GPM Panzer IV-pict0019.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0015.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 04-22-2021, 10:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
That cooling fan assembly looks great, whichever way parts 52 and 52n are supposed to be.

Incidentally, what IS part 52/52n?

You can imagine Rick and me peering at your model at the next Army Heritage Days and saying loud enough to be heard by the assembled throng, "Nice tank model, but isn't that cooling fan handle supposed to be on the other side?"
Old 04-22-2021, 10:31 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Boose View Post
You can imagine Rick and me peering at your model at the next Army Heritage Days and saying loud enough to be heard by the assembled throng, "Nice tank model, but isn't that cooling fan handle supposed to be on the other side?"
As would we all!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 04-22-2021, 10:50 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Tut Tut.

Me, I would be supporting KC's model by saying "Did you know they got the cooling handle wrong on the real thing?"...
Old 04-22-2021, 10:55 AM

Thanks guys!

Too bad about AHD's being cancelled again this year. I really miss seeing everyone but my son is getting married that week end so I would miss it regardless. Fingers crossed thing return to normal next year - but that's what I said last year...

Quote:
Incidentally, what IS part 52/52n?
Part 52 is the number assigned to the entire fan assembly.
It's made up of several parts 52a, b, c, etc...
I believe part 52n is some sort of pully or gear that is attached to the drive shaft to transfer power from the engine to the fans. In it's current configuration it would be located at the back of the engine, not the front where all the other belts and pullies are located. No problem! I'll just have to re orient the turbo encabulator and tweak the cross threaded neo maxi ozone modulator. That should solve the problem!
Old 04-22-2021, 06:15 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
This might replace "Sikorsky"
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Google Adsense