PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 04-23-2021, 02:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Kevin good work. 52n is a designed-in imperfection so your model will not be perfect and anger the gods.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
"Auxilliary Engine"?

"The Centurion Tank had an Auxiliary Power Unit in the form of a 4 cyl. Morris engine in the engine bay (mounted next to the much larger Rolls Royce Meteor main engine).
This was left running to power the radios and charge the batteries rather than leaving the more fuel consuming main engine running."

I'm guessing its something similar?
Old 04-23-2021, 07:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Dave - That is a good description of the Little Joe auxiliary engine in the M48. Don
Old 04-24-2021, 03:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Our auxiliary engines were switched on only when in a layup position or in a hide/laager and the main engine was too big an infra red target/bloom. We had Cent ARV and Chieftain for most of my time and the Aux could also be used to start the main engine. We also had a hydraulic start method using a third tiller, rarely used but worked every time in my experience.
Old 04-24-2021, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Fun Kevin to see your work on this one
Old 05-24-2021, 07:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Super quick update

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys. Much appreciated!

Now I start closing up the hull beginning with the glacis plate.
This component consists of two hinged hatches that open and close to expose the left and right drive units as well as a removable transmission access panel.

Parts continue to fit very well.

Until next time enjoy these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Panzer IV-pict0022.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0023.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0024.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0025.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0026.jpg  

GPM Panzer IV-pict0027.jpg  
Old 05-25-2021, 01:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
What a beautiful print of these camouflaged surfaces. Do you intend to leave the hatches as loose items to be able to view more of the interior? Or is it possible to make hinges from a pin or something?

Regards,
Erik
Old 05-25-2021, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Your work is always exceptionally precise and realistic, Kevin.

Don
Old 05-28-2021, 07:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.95 MB
Send a message via ICQ to Johnny
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
I see a valuable tip in these photos: when punching out circles, use a template to center the punch over each unit. I have never thought to do this. D'oh! So simple, yet the thought never crossed my mind for all these years. My punched circles will be much more precise from now on. Thanks, Kevin! The rounds look great, by the way.
Never thought of that!! great tip
Old 06-13-2021, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Weekend update

Thank you for the comments and questions guys. - much appreciated.

Eric, To answer your question, Yes, the hatches are hinged (using a sewing pin like you suggested) to open and close in order to view the internal drive components. The square transmission cover located between the two hatches is a separate plate that is bolted onto the hull instead of being attached with hinges. My plan for that part of the model is to placed in position without being glued so that it can be removed if desired. In the future it may get covered with a length of extra track links.

Don, Thank you sir - I hope that someday soon you'll be able to take a close up look in person.

Johnny, You are welcome! I'm glad that you found that little trick useful.

Work on the Panzer continues...

The latest addition are the fenders. For the most part the fender construction was strait forward. Only minor problem was that GPM labeled some of the parts incorrectly. Seems that they mixed up their Left and Right (or should I say L's and P's) not a big deal just had me scratching my head for a few minutes. One other thing that is a bit disappointing is that the bottom side of the fenders required painting. It would have been nice if GPM supplied printed parts in the kit to back them up rather than having to paint them. I really don't like to paint large areas like this because we all know what happens when moisture is introduced to uncoated paper - It has a tendency to curl. In any case it turned out fine. Before cutting out the parts I airbrushed a few very light coats of acrylic paint onto the unprinted side, then after construction, I dirtied them up using a set of Tamiya weathering pastels. Over all I'm happy with the end result. Plus I doubt you will even be able to see the underside once the tracks are mounted.

Next time you see it everything should be closed up and I'll start the fun part Running gear.

Until then enjoy the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
GPM Panzer IV-pict0028.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0029.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0030.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0031.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0032.jpg  

GPM Panzer IV-pict0033.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0034.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0035.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0036.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0037.jpg  

GPM Panzer IV-pict0038.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0039.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0040.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0041.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0042.jpg  

GPM Panzer IV-pict0043.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0044.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0045.jpg   GPM Panzer IV-pict0046.jpg  
Google Adsense