PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 06-08-2021, 01:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 396.75 MB
Send a message via ICQ to konguinio871 Send a message via AIM to konguinio871 Send a message via Yahoo to konguinio871 Send a message via Skype™ to konguinio871
Cool bren mklll

hello I have a weapon of the royal britain of the second world war his name is bren mklll in .pdo format
Attached Thumbnails
bren mklll-bren-mk-iii.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdo Bren MkIII.pdo (4.43 MB, 61 views)
Google Adsense
Old 06-08-2021, 05:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Ah ha, the old classic Bren gun. Oooh, was it over 55 years ago that I spent a good few months as a No2 on one of these? ie. I had to carry 20 mags but not the gun. My job was to keep changing the mags or maintain the ratatatat with my sten gun while the gunner unjammed the beast. Being footsloggers, we didn't get the belt-fed GPMG version.

Well, I've downloaded it. It looks promising, but a heck of a lot of parts. Looks to be quite a complex build, so I'm not promising to finish it anytime soon ... if ever. I'd love to see a build thread if anyone else is up for it.
Old 06-08-2021, 05:20 AM

On closer study, I've noticed that its legs (bipod) are missing. A vital part of a Bren ... There weren't too many Rambos around who could fire the beast standing up you know.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Brens were designed to fired from the hip. Apparently there was a shoulder strap which went over the right shoulder and the handle at the front could be cranked out to give a stabilising hold on the weapon. The shoulder strap was optional if you were a 1940s incarnation of Rambo.
There are videos on YouTube of infantry sections in WW2 with the Bren gunner with his gun slung as described. I think the practice dropped out of favour after WW2 with the increasing emphasis on firing from cover.

BREN Light Machine Gun: Technique and Doctrine - YouTube

Regards,

Charlie
Old 06-08-2021, 05:45 PM

Yes Charlie, the bren was adaptable so that it could be fired from the hip, but as I said ... there weren't too many Rambos around that could do it successfully, without dislocating your hip, and the chances of hitting anything were pretty slim as it would always kick up into the air. Remember we're using .303 hard points here. The Mag only held 30 rounds and on auto it would spew them out in seconds. If you were in a situation where you wanted to spray a fast approaching enemy, then the number 2's sten was a more effective defence.

The later development into the 7.62 LMG was somewhat more controllable, but even that would buck up into the air when fired from the hip. Some bright spark also showed us how to use it for anti-aircraft fire. This involved putting the bipod over the number 2's shouders with him hanging on to the legs. Try it sometime ... as I said ... I was a number 2. Deafening, and far from accurate.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:09 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Just so we are clear, the author of the pdo file is The Cloaker, apparently released back in May of 2018.

And I haven't been able to find the file online, or a site hosting it.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 06-09-2021, 04:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieC View Post
Brens were designed to fired from the hip. Apparently there was a shoulder strap which went over the right shoulder and the handle at the front could be cranked out to give a stabilising hold on the weapon. The shoulder strap was optional if you were a 1940s incarnation of Rambo.
There are videos on YouTube of infantry sections in WW2 with the Bren gunner with his gun slung as described. I think the practice dropped out of favour after WW2 with the increasing emphasis on firing from cover.

BREN Light Machine Gun: Technique and Doctrine - YouTube

Regards,

Charlie
Sorry, but that's not correct. The Bren was designed to be fired prone. The hip shooting came later in the war so that the Bren could accompany the rest of the section in the assault. This is borne out in the video on the link you supplied.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:16 AM

Yeah, the video did make me smile a bit. Our Gun Group consisted of only two men. No1 (gunner) and no2 (loader), or the "pack mule" as our gunners affectionately called us. But then again, we were lightweight air portable units (aka paras). No2 normally carried a Sten, but only one of his 8 ammo pouches contained ammo for it. Only officers had pistols, but we were all taught how to use them. Oh, and contrary to our WW2 uncles, most troopers carried rifles, not Stens. The rifle ammo being the same as the Bren, so they could share. They all carried an ENERGA adaptor with two projectiles, and most had a side pouch with six 36 grenades. Not sure who the wag was that added the "lightweight" tag to our "air portable" title.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Possibly the same people who decided that tank units should have air or heliborne units to check out possible forward deployment locations for any forward bounds when advancing to contact. I think they eventually worked out that would be very unlikely against the Warsaw pact units we faced.
Just how many peanuts do the folk who think these things up get?
Old 06-20-2021, 03:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 559.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by konginio87 View Post
hello I have a weapon of the royal britain of the second world war his name is bren mklll in .pdo format
Hi
You did not write the scale of the model
AVRAHAM