Old 03-25-2022, 11:18 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
The model looks good.
The snow looks deep.
Mike
Old 03-25-2022, 11:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.92 MB
Tell me more about the plumbing trick you mentioned on your first post.
Old 03-26-2022, 06:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 26.66 MB
Just a bit of background on this nice detailed model...

IIRC this was one of Ervins models.
To paraphrase what was quite a long dev thread - He did a batch of Panhard AML variants for GPM who he then fell out with because they kept changing the layouts & then demanding he make alterations for print, which were also argued about & this went back & forth for some time.
The bottom line was him saying he'd had enough BS & that he'd distribute all but that one for free as PDFs.

I had his PDFs & I have to say I couldn't see why GPM didn't like the work...

Good luck with the build Tapcho
Old 03-27-2022, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
@hirondelle - You are right, this is desingned by Ervins Ernstreits. I remember following that specific design thread years back in some Eastern European modeling forum. Fabulous stuff. What I didn't know was the dispute with GPM, maybe that explains why he gave them as freebies. I too had all of them but lost them when my external drive crashed.

@Michael Mash - Thanks Mike and the snow is melting little by little. March is still a winter month and it's snowing once again this moment. But we have a saying 'new snow kills the old' and that gives some hope.

@T haf - My bad, I don't know why I wrote that. A misinterpretation when going through parts and stuff after years of hiatus. Sorry.

So todays achievements. Not much and nothing special. I wish after all these years modeling I would know in the morning is the day good for modeling or not. But no!

Anyways: more ventilation blinds this time over the radiator.n Used only half of the pieces and that was more than enough for me. Also made a roll of cocering canvas beside it. Thinned the part paper to half and gave it a little wear and tear look.
The only major achievement (but miniscule in size) was making the engine bay hatch hinges working so now I can take a peek to the engine room. Pure vanity on my behalf but that's allowed isn't it.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-strange-creature.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-thinning-canvas.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-hmmm.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-blinds-canvas-place.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-working-hinges.jpg  

Old 03-29-2022, 06:04 AM

Wink

Coming along nicely Tapcho

Ervins did some amazing work on these Panhards. Looking at the detail in these builds makes me wonder how anyone is able to design & build multiple versions from scratch. But then I do know the addictive quality of paper models.

They are inspiring & I do need to make one, the 3-color camo Lebanese variant is eye-catching, but am still on hiatus (c/o surgery which is still being stalled by COVID). + I really need to complete my T-34 especially as I've done the 'hard part' - tracks & wheels, & now have the 'interesting' bits to do.

Meanwhile I will just enjoy your work.
Google Adsense
Old 03-30-2022, 01:42 AM

Thanks H for the compliment. Went to look your T-34 and it's coming along nicely. I would never attempt a tank because of the tracks so in my eyes your are a brave modeler. The few working hinges in this model are more than enough for me of that kind. ;-)
Hope you get to surgery soon, take care and stay well.

Tappi
Old 03-30-2022, 01:56 AM

Got the body at the point where I can move on to the next phases. I didn't attach all the fittings to it because I need to handle the critter pretty much so I'll save those to be the last finishing touches I do.

So all fenders are in place and it's starting to take the shape of a Panhard. One extra effort I took with the body is to cover all underside faces with textured pieces. Those are not included so I had to print extra copies of the kit pieces and cut pieces needed. The outer fender rims and walls are left white in the kit, I guess because of the dominant wheels but I wanted them covered anyway. To my eyes it looks better and fine now.

Next:

- four powertrains with suspension and what not
- four wheels (have already tumbling with the assembly tests but maybe I'll get the hang of those finally
- and lastly the turret, the subassembly I've been waiting eagerly

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-img_9787.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-img_9789.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-img_9790.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-img_9795.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-img_9796.jpg  

Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-img_9797.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-img_9798.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-img_9799.jpg  
Old 03-30-2022, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapcho View Post
Got the body at the point where I can move on to the next phases. I didn't attach all the fittings to it because I need to handle the critter pretty much so I'll save those to be the last finishing touches I do.

So all fenders are in place and it's starting to take the shape of a Panhard. One extra effort I took with the body is to cover all underside faces with textured pieces. Those are not included so I had to print extra copies of the kit pieces and cut pieces needed....

Tappi
You are making good headway on this Panhard.
I think you are right on the extra texture on the wheel wells. I wonder if their absence was the result of "layout discussions", given the overall attention to detail on these AMLs.
+ there is also the desire to put our own stamp on a kit, which works very well with paper as the medium.

As to tank track-links, I'm glad I did them, despite being a lot of work as they look much better than the laser-cut blocks seen on GPMs site pics.

So much more can be achieved in paper if you have time/can stomach it & to my eyes at least, seeing a plastic model alongside a paper one (eg Halinski vs Tamiya) the paper one just looks more real.
Old 03-30-2022, 10:36 AM

Thanks H for the comments. I do concur that in many ways paper beats the plastic. For one thing you really build the model not just assemble it. The other thing is detailing, more and easily mallable paper gives many benefits for that.

Tappi
Old 04-05-2022, 12:39 PM

Few days have passed and some progress also occured. But not with springtime, we're getting 20 cm snow again.

Started the wheel assembly and wheels and I don't make a match. All five now done and that's a good thing. I will not go in the details.

Did one power train assembly too. Took me a whole day. Half an A4 page parts and the result is smaller than my thumb. I still have to figure out how to position the drive trains to get the wheels leveled. But that's to be done later.

Last a little presentation of my preferred tools. With those I get 90-95% of the work done. One thing missing though - my favourite glue applicator which is the old fashioned wooden tootpick.

Cheers for now,

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-wheel-parts-cut.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-wheels.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-left-rear.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-assembly.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-my-tools.jpg  

Google Adsense