PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 03-19-2022, 10:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)

Yet another unfinished model from my murky cellar aka 'graveyard of models'. This is designed by talented Ervins Kungs whose design and testbuild thread I followed with interest years back. He released several liveries for free but the UN version was published only commercially. ABC offer laser-cut set for the vehicle and for tires. I have them both.

I can't remember when I started the build maybe around 2011-12. Got to this point I show you here and now I'm going complete the build. Model needs some cleaning and I have to figure out what I was doing when the build halted. Maybe finishing the engine wiring and/or plumbing by the looks of loose parts.

Pic #2 show the current state. I checked the parts and will get hang of them. Plumbing is done with shrink tube with the forming and shape holding help of soldering wire inside. I was amazed I knew that trick too.

Couple of pics of the driver's space show well the level of detail these kits have. And the engine pics too.

All pieces and subbuilds sit well inside and the fit is excellent. Peaking in throuh the door opening suggest I leave the door open.

Tires come out great with the laser kit. This was a test build and will be hidden in far rear corner.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-kit.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-current-state-affairs.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-drivers-office-1.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-...-2.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-front-view.jpg  

Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-engine-1.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-engine-2.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-all-.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-open-doors-maybe.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-tire.jpg  

Last edited by rickstef; 03-19-2022 at 12:29 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 03-19-2022, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
That's a lot of nice detail in that kit. Were the free ones in 1/72 scale? I vaguely recall a free panhard but the scale made it very challenging to build.
Old 03-19-2022, 12:23 PM

I don't recall any design in that scale sorry. All I know of and have found are 1/25. Besides if this kit would be scaled to 1/72 I definitely coldn't build it.

Tappi
Old 03-20-2022, 01:25 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very nice Tapcho. I have always wanted to make one, have used the real thing. But unfortunately, I cannot buy commercial kits as I have no way to ship them other than by courier - way too expensive! So it goes!

Your model looks great to me. Look forward to seeing your further progress!
Old 03-20-2022, 05:42 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Always good to see another project from your “Graveyard-Of-Models” series.
This one appears to be a light-weight tank on wheels. The engine is highly detailed.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 03-20-2022, 01:14 PM

@ Kevin WS - so did you serve in UNIFIL troops at some point? I feel for you with the transportation cost the prize of a model just comes unbearable. Maybe my build can work as a substitute?

@Michael Mash - Panhard AML (Auto Mitrailleuse Légère, or "Light Machine Gun Car") is if I'm correct a reconnaissance and patrol vehicle and therefore perfect for peace keeping duties too. This one's detailed inside-out and from top to bottom. A lot of work ahead.

And finally today's proceedings. I detailed both doors on the inside. Funny thing occured to me I've never thought before why all the hatches and doors of these vehicles are always painted with the outside camo color but now I understand it would be foolish to show the internal light coloring against the camo. In this case it's double funny because these UN vehicles are painted white outside.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-days-proceedings.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-test-look.jpg  
Old 03-21-2022, 03:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
Very nice indeed, coming along well.
Old 03-21-2022, 05:42 AM

Thanks Mike, glad to see you here. Morning session done and it's time for lunch. Got everything in place inside and attached the missing body formers. Cleaned the former tabs and the body is smooth to be skinned on the outside. I'm a bit hesitant whether to use the tabs on the outside plating pieces or try to get sharper joints without them, never built GPM kit before so need to think this through carefully. Anyways this is the next task and I'll get back when it's done.

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-body-closed.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-outside-skins.jpg  
Old 03-24-2022, 11:02 AM

After the last post:

- got the bode skinned, I like the weathering on the kit
- had trouble with the turret base (something wrong in the geometry of the body, my bad)
- managed to perform some fine tubes only to discover that those will be hidden, sigh
- I'm pretty much at the halway point with the build

I was curious how many parts the kit has. Numbering wise it has nearly 320 parts according to the instructions. It felt way low number so I counted every part I have cut and glued to the kit so far and got a substantially bigger number 607.

Reason for this is that very many parts in the kit are sort of repetitive parts and those are identified by alphabets as #115 a, b, c, d, e ...

&07 doesn't include all extra parts needed for layering some parts. And it doesn't include all the extra detailing I have added - so my fair estimate at this point is 666.

Tappi

PS It's not spring and not any time soon.
Attached Thumbnails
Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-nice-weathering.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-ring-fire.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-plane.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-nice-tubes.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-halfway-point.jpg  

Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-no-spring-yet.jpg  
Old 03-25-2022, 11:12 AM

I got the left rear fender done. Took me a whole day of modeling. Not my proudest acheivements but it's the. Those darn ventilation blinds almost got me and I have the topside (above radiator) and ringht side fender still to do. Sigh.

I decided to so something different before those. A second wheel. A kit in itself.
All parts cut and edges colored I give it a go tomorrow morning.

See ya all,

Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-left-rear-fender.jpg   Panhard AML 20 by GPM (1/25)-makings-wheel.jpg  
Google Adsense