PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 05-05-2024, 07:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Ray — here’s what is shown in the diagrams. Presumably a full-size pattern. Not a lot of detail at that size.
Attached Thumbnails
Early GPM SdKfz 251-img_3232.jpg  
Old 05-05-2024, 10:45 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Would something like this work? I printed at 10% to get 1/8".
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Lock.pdf (14.3 KB, 9 views)

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-05-2024, 07:13 PM

Ray — the padlocks are perfect.

And with those installed, this model is finished. It’s been a much longer journey than I anticipated, and I certainly had no idea how comically bad this kit was until I got into it. I can only shake my head at my naivete when I stated at the beginning that I thought it would be “a relatively simple project without tiny parts.” Of course, there were a few suspensions of activity during the build. Hopefully I can avoid breaking my arm during the next project.

Overall, I mostly enjoyed it despite the many problems. The interior was pleasant and the guns were a lot of fun. Putting on all the finishing details at the end really brought it to life. The low point was definitely (1) the awful instructions, and (2) fitting the tracks. I don’t mind building the road wheels and tracks (I seem to have a high tolerance for repetitive tasks, and I like cutting out circles), but the fit problems with the drive sprocket and the resulting pigeon-toed tracks were a real downer.

I spent some quality time today going through my stash. I have one UFO that I’ve started, but it’s a Maly in very ugly colors, and I’m just not up for it right now. I’ve narrowed my selection down to one of four, comprising three Modeliks and a Halinski.

I hope everyone who read my reports got some entertainment out of them. And I definitely want to thank everyone who helped out, with specialized knowledge, good advice, encouragement, and material assistance (Padlocks! Wheels!). The model will be at the IPMC convention this year in all its garish glory.
Attached Thumbnails
Early GPM SdKfz 251-img_3233.jpg   Early GPM SdKfz 251-img_3234.jpg   Early GPM SdKfz 251-img_3238.jpg   Early GPM SdKfz 251-img_3239.jpg  
Old 05-05-2024, 07:50 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

So glad the locks worked out. Can you show us where they worked?

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-05-2024, 08:34 PM

Ray — my last photo shows two of the padlocks in the center recess of the storage compartments, below the “246” marking. Can’t have any unauthorized persons removing the content of those locked compartments!
Google Adsense
Old 05-06-2024, 06:37 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Thanks! They're so small, I overlooked them! You did great cutting those out.

GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 05-06-2024, 12:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Great work, Anne!

The completed model looks very good (I look forward to seeing it in October at Sterling), and I enjoyed watching it take shape and seeing your dialog with other modelers during the difficult parts.

I look forward to your next project.

Don
Old 05-06-2024, 04:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
I think it was General Abrams who said if you put an anvil in a desert with a soldier and came back a day later the anvil would be broken. The General missed the next part which is that half of the broken anvil would have been stolen. Locking storage compartments on an SdKfz 251 would seem a smart move.
The Russian units which operated Sherman tanks had to have armed guards to stop the infantry stealing the leather seat covers to turn into jackets.

Charlie