PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 03-19-2023, 01:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
It’s good to be back. I’ve been taking a break from modeling while I had double cataract surgery (plus I’ve been putting in a lot of time on a non-modeling project). But today, with a spring training baseball game on the radio, it was a good time to try my new eyes. They are working fine without correction for distance, middle distance, and reading, and optivisors seem to be taking care of the close-up work.

So, returning to this model, I’ve been trying to figure out where I left off. This vehicle has the German meshing road wheels. The diagram (first picture) caused a lot of head scratching, and for a while I was convinced GPM had misnumbered the parts, but the numbering was correct. After research, I think the correct assembly is four *pairs* of convex road wheels (parts 56), alternating with 3 pairs of concave road wheels (parts 58). The aftmost convex wheels serve as the idlers. Part 55 is the drive sprocket and the front tires are not shown in this diagram.

So, on to assembling road wheels! I made one test convex wheel (second picture) and spent the rest of the day on assembly-line work on the other 15. The wheel looks better in person than in the photo, where every flaw is magnified. I made some minor errors on it, missing some edge coloring, so this one will face inboard, but I’m happy enough with it.

14 road wheel hub assemblies parts 49 and 59) are required. True to this kit’s personality, GPM printed 12. At least I spotted this in time, but the photocopies are not a good color match. In the overall scheme of things, I doubt it will matter.
Attached Thumbnails
Early GPM SdKfz 251-a34beeff-0ff9-4d26-bb46-ec146d798e05.jpeg   Early GPM SdKfz 251-486386d1-0297-440a-96c1-f3bf815ea157.jpeg  
Old 03-19-2023, 02:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Glad to see you back at work on paper modeling, Anne, and resuming work on this potential silk purse.

Don
Old 03-23-2023, 09:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Just read this post and it brings back a lot of (bad) memories.

These older models were hand drawn and if the part is only a couple of mm out of shape it was considered accurate. printing was as earlier stated in this thread only 4 color and black was counted as a color. Paper was also a problem back in the day, The cut lines were often 1mm wide and the common question was do you cut on the inside, middle or outside of the line.
looks like you are doing a great job building this model. I guarantee you are learning more building this model then you would on a Halinski, or a WAK model. I look forward to seeing your next model.

Jim Nunn
Old 03-24-2023, 05:49 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Wonderful to have you back, Anne. I always enjoy your informative and witty build threads.
Old 03-24-2023, 01:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 865.28 MB
For these older kits, I like to do a trial build in gray shade and take build notes along the way. The gray areas also show where camo lines don't match.

They are a lot of fun to build and don't take too long.

I have a shelf full of ancient Maly Modelarz kits, but build scans of them because of the poor paper quality [i.e. communist toilet paper].

regards,
Rick
Google Adsense
Old 04-01-2023, 04:10 PM

Communist toilet paper! What a great expression for early Maly paper! Though none of the Malys in my collection have actual wood chips. I have all but one of the Maly-produced CD’s, so I can print my own *legal* copies (there’s a story there which Don Boose will be more than happy to tell you — as well as why I found out that, for all its faults, early Maly paper is surprisingly waterproof).

Concerning the current model, I have no complaints about the paper quality that GPM used. I’ve been doing assembly line construction of convex road wheels. The least enjoyable part has been preshaping the tires, which was painfully hand-cramping work. Not my cleanest work gluing the tires to the wheels, but overall I’m not too unhappy. Concave road wheels will be next.
Attached Thumbnails
Early GPM SdKfz 251-1595be5a-e0e6-40fa-96b4-0b55a4a1a0c4.jpeg  
Old 03-09-2024, 02:44 PM

Back to the modeling workbench, after another absence due to other projects and life in general. I have finished up the concave road wheels (photo). I’m looking at the drive sprockets next. I decided to build them in all their unevenly-spaced-teeth glory. Lots of fiddly bits but nothing puzzling about them — and there are only 2 assemblies.

Later — I’ve also assembled the drive sprockets. I had already cut out most of the parts, so this session was mostly edge-coloring and gluing. I did the best matching I could on the uneven teeth, but there is some irregularity visible between front and back. It amuses me, so I ‘m leaving it that way.
Attached Thumbnails
Early GPM SdKfz 251-img_3206.jpg   Early GPM SdKfz 251-img_3208.jpg  

Last edited by Amccombs3; 03-09-2024 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2024, 11:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
So the big question: will it be finished before the IPMC in October?....

Inquiring minds wanna know.

Greg
Old 03-10-2024, 06:59 PM

Since some of my hiatuses have been due to unpredictable health issues, I make no predictions. I’m feeling good right now. I’m working on the front tires at the moment and they are fine so far.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Roadwheels and drive sprockets look great.

Don
Google Adsense