PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 08-08-2023, 09:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Angraf SdKfz 8?

Anyone built this?

I've got the GPM 17cm Kanone 18 model and thought that the gun with a towing vehicle would make an interesting model.

I'm interested in building one but Angraf's SdKfz 9 Famo model was reportedly so awful I'm hesitant to do so.

(historical note) - The SdKfz 8 was a 12 ton half track used almost exclusively for towing artillery pieces. It was produced from 1936 to 1944 with some 4,000 being made. There are a few running survivors - check Youtube for videos.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 08-09-2023, 08:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
I have a copy but have not built it yet. But I will some day.

You are correct that the Sdkfz 9 Famo is a model that is a real challenging build: misfitting parts, about a page worth of missing parts, and generally a build one must be dedicated to finishing. Been there, done that, but happy I conquered it. The designer is not listed anywhere in the model.

The Sdkfz 8 does have a designer listed as Dariusz Wandtke. I have built some of his models. I wouldn't forsee anything near the frustration level of the Famo, but I would still expect a challenging build as there is usually an issue or two with his designs. I'm not sure all his designs get proper beta builds before publication.

Hope this insight helps at least a little bit.

Greg
Old 08-09-2023, 06:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Thank you.

The SdKfz 8 model appears to be based on a restored SdKfz 8 which was fished out of a Polish river some years ago. The SdKfz 8 is not a standard production model but a very rare armoured vehicle made in tiny numbers towards the end of the war. There appear to be only a few images of the armoured half track in existence. The model seems to be doable - I found a build of the Angraf SdKfz 8 on a Polish forum with the 128mm PaK-44 Rheinmetall gun also by Angraf. The builder said it was a fairly challenging build with some minor fit issues.

[G] Sd.Kfz.8 DB-10 & Pak 44 128mm ANGRAF.

Historically that would be very obscure - the SdKfz 8 was a rare variant and only a few 128mm Rheinmetall guns were built out of a total of about 50 barrels. There are lots of images of SdKfz 8s towing 88mm guns and the 17cm Kanone. The 21cm Morser was apparent too heavy for the half track and the barrel was normally towed on its own trailer with the carriage towed separately.

I think I'll get my Model-Kom Komintern finished along with its towed gun and then think about it.

Regards,

Charlie