PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 08-15-2023, 11:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Model-KOM Komintern + GPM 152mm ML-20 Howitzer

A while ago I did a Ford 3-ton (horrible) tank model towing a French 75mm field gun which was proposed but never happened because of the end of WW1.
I had a Model-KOM Komintern and thought it might be interesting with a GPM 152mm ML-20 howitzer.

Few people seem to do towing vehicles with guns in card but there are lots of "mix and match" options.

The Komintern model was an unending struggle, the parts layout was pretty bad - the engineering of the model was poor - the wheels and suspension are still delaminating and falling off weeks later. The instructions were a mixture of micro detailed and (I think) the designer going "got you again - haha". Went through 3 iterations of the cab roof and it's still not quite right. The parts fit is quite good once you figure out the designer's intent.

I've got it to the point where the major sections are finished except for a few small pieces. I thought I'd better publish it as is, in case I have a fit of frustration with the thing and throw it in the bin.

The Komintern artillery tractor was a 1931 design using the suspension of the T-24 medium tank with the body and engine of the ZIS-5 truck. It proved to be quite reliable and (for the time) quite fast - 30 km/hr. The Komintern could pull the heaviest Red Army guns and was used throughout WW2.

I tried something different with the tracks. Rather than use pieces of wire as the track pins I used trimmed down paper rods from cotton wool tips. In Australia these used to be plastic but changed to paper in the last couple of years or so - the paper rod is quite dense so you can peel it down to <0.5mm diameter. The cab windows are plastic from a bubble pack - the design is quite nice and has an oversized intermediate layer which holds the plastic so you don't have to glue it.

Regards,

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Model-KOM Komintern + GPM 152mm ML-20 Howitzer-komintern_parts_1.jpg   Model-KOM Komintern + GPM 152mm ML-20 Howitzer-komintern_parts_2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-16-2023, 05:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
I like your results so far and will continue to follow your journey.

Best wishes, Greg.
Old 08-16-2023, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
I'm not sure if you know of that forum but here is a link to guy building this very model:

WWW.KONRADUS.COM - FORUM MODELARZY KARTONOWYCH - [R/G] Ciężki ci±gnik g±sienicowy ''Komintern'' - MODEL-KOM 1:25

On same forum someone did same tractor from his own design. I don't know if this is the author of Model-Kom model:

WWW.KONRADUS.COM - FORUM MODELARZY KARTONOWYCH - [R/G] Radziecki ciężki ci±gnik g±sienicowy "Komintern" - Projekt własny

Google translator does great job in Chrome but even if it doesn't pictures can be helpful.
Old 08-16-2023, 06:08 PM

That's an outstanding build on the Konradus forum by a master builder.

For us mere mortals the model is badly flawed. For example, it models the suspension elements of the T-24 tank which are vertical spring/dampers mounted on brackets attached to the hull. The weight of the model is supported by brackets glued onto the hull - these are prone to shearing off. It would be better practice to support the suspension elements with card beams running through the hull - much easier to build and much stronger.

I think the issue is really with the use of 3D modelling software and unfolding parts from 3D models. The old practice of creating models from hand drawing or CAD did seem to force the designer to consider the structure of the model.

In retrospect I should have attempted the free MBA Komintern - a difficult model but it models the structure of the original vehicle as well as its appearance.

Charlie
Old 08-17-2023, 02:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.34 GB
What Charlie said, a masterful build and nice to see.
Google Adsense
Old 08-17-2023, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another interesting project, Charlie. It looks like the tractor is nearly complete, and I look forward to seeing the entire lash up.

Don
Old 08-17-2023, 02:03 PM

Thanks for the kind words.

Models of artillery pieces in card always seem to be quite intricate with lots of tiny pieces. Having built a few of these it seems that you build for ages with little to show for it, then one day it's over.

The 152mm ML-20 Model 1937 Gun/Howitzer was arguably the best howitzer used in WW2. It wasn't a newly designed gun but the last in a series of designs that started with the French Schneider designed 152mm M1910 Siege Gun made by Putilov in St Petersburg. Schneider and Putilov agreed in 1909 to an arrangement where Schneider would design and prototype a number of different artillery pieces and Putilov would get them through Russian Army trials and produce the guns. The M1910 gun saw service in WW1 with the Russian (Tsarist) Army and the survivors were taken over by the Red Army. The design underwent modifications in 1930 and 1934 before new carriages were designed in 1936. The accepted ML-20 was produced from 1937 to 1947 and the 6900 made were used by most armies which used Russian equipment. There are still ML-20s in service with a few armies in Africa. In WW2 the ML-20 outranged the equivalent German 15cm howitzer and was a continuing problem for the Wehrmacht. Both the Germans and Finns operated captured ML-20s - the Germans even produced ammunition for the gun.

I want to build something like the attached. The GPM model doesn't allow the barrel to be pulled back for transport. However, transporting the gun with barrel in battery was allowable for short distances and low speeds.

Charlie
Attached Thumbnails
Model-KOM Komintern + GPM 152mm ML-20 Howitzer-152_mm_howitzer-gun_m1937_-ml-20-_1.jpg