PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 04-18-2010, 08:30 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
1/100 scale Su 100

Here we have one of Rawen & Paran's fine 1/100 minipanzers. I selected the Su 100 in Soviet colors for my first (but certainly not last) build in their model line. This Soviet version has a little dark brown weathering. I downloaded the jpeg from the R & P Photobucket account, so the image was not the original size. In order to bring it up to exact 1/100 scale I had to print the file at 152%. Before printing, I rotated part A (main gun) 90% to align it with the paper grain. Oriented this way the parts will roll easier, and won't crinkle.

There are no instructions, but a numbered drawing of the finished tank on the parts page aids assembly. I built the model in numerical order, and the fit was excellent throughout. To build the main gun I used a peeled down paper Q-tip shaft and wrapped a layer of the Part A cannon barrel around it.

Extra details include boxed in front fenders, exhaust pipes, an antenna and mount, a headlight, and a self designed track section glued to the glacis plate. The green color is pretty bright, but I toned it down a bit at the end of the build with some pastel weathering.

To display the model, I modified R & P's downloadable base, texturing it with an oak finish. I put a Soviet flag on the rear of the base (forgot to take a picture of it), and laid down some basic groundwork, including a little 2D paper Soviet Officer dude to lend a sense of scale. I provided information about the model on the underside of the base - Date, scale, modeler, designer (didn't take a picture of that either - drat!)

I love this little model! It was a real pleasure to build. I hope you enjoy the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
1/100 scale Su 100-su100overall.jpg   1/100 scale Su 100-su100side.jpg   1/100 scale Su 100-su100front.jpg   1/100 scale Su 100-su100cupola.jpg   1/100 scale Su 100-su100rear.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 243.49 MB
Don, that is a real good build. I really like the extra details you put into the model...they really make it pop. Great job with the base, too.
Old 04-18-2010, 09:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
A beauty!!! Very nice build Don. I like specially the picture zoomed on the cannon, very precise.
Old 04-18-2010, 12:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Very very well done.
I like that, if somebody build my or Rawen model.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
I downloaded the jpeg from the R & P Photobucket account, so the image was not the original size.
Don when you select an image from photobucket you get a reduced image. If you use the zoom in option in the upper left corner of the picture you get the complete image.
Old 04-19-2010, 04:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.54 GB
very fine build. nice presentation.
Old 04-19-2010, 06:50 PM

Thanks for your kind words, gents. If the rest of the line is as well designed as this one, R & P have provided us with a real treasure. Alcides, I downloaded pretty much the whole collection at the small size, but I noticed no change in quality as I blew up the image, so I don't think I'll have to download everything again. Thanks Rene for your comment on the presentation. R & Ps base is nice, but all black, and I didn't want to use up that much ink. It was easy enough to re-skin it with the oak finish. I had planned to do something more ambitious with a larger base, but I really started to get itchy to start a new project and settled on what you see.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I see, much ink. OK, in future I'm going to do base with wood texture.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:51 AM

Your black base is very nice paran, but my black ink cartridge was getting low and I didn't want to use up what little I had left. Another option I was thinking about at the time was making an uncolored version of your base with a grey outline, then printing the outline on black card stock. The nameplate would be glued on afterwards. I finally decided to just go with the woodgrain. The oak looks good with the green tank, but I'd probably use a walnut or redwood texture for the sand colored models.