PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > The Armory

Old 12-18-2007, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 16.12 MB
Konradus M5A1 Stuart

I've been considering what to build after the Hetzer. Has anyone seen a complete build of the Konradus M5A1 Stuart reported? I've seen partial builds which get as far as the hull then seem to run out of steam. I did notice the diagram for building the Stuart track is incorrect - if you tried to build the track as per diagram you'd get a whole bunch of disconnected links.

The Konradus Stuart download appears to have vanished from the hosting site (www.konradus.com) - is it gone or migrated somewhere else?

Alternatively the Modelik Challenger I looks interesting as does the Fly Model Churchill or perhaps the Maly Cromwell. Both the Churchill and Challenger need recolouring - British tanks were either khaki (1944) or bronze green (1945). On second thoughts I'm not sure I'm up to the frustration level of another Modelik kit yet.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 12-18-2007, 09:30 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
I think Mike Urban built one on Kartonbau.de
Old 12-18-2007, 10:11 PM

Thanks for the pointer - Michael Urban seems to have got as far as doing the hull (really nice job on that) but didn't get to the running gear. There was another M5A1 build reported on kartonbau.de - this got a bit further and built the suspension elements and wheels but didn't seem to get any further. I'm starting to think this model may be fatally flawed in some way I can't pick up from the parts sheets. My total ignorance of the German language doesn't help either to understand what happened to these builds.

Regards,

Charlie
Old 12-19-2007, 01:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 28.94 MB
Hi Charlie,

the other build report on kartonbau.de is from me. I suspended it cause i got totally bored with that tracks...

The fit of the kit is quite good. If you have any questions, I will answer.

Cheers Bernhard
Old 12-19-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemingway View Post
Hi Charlie,

the other build report on kartonbau.de is from me. I suspended it cause i got totally bored with that tracks...

The fit of the kit is quite good. If you have any questions, I will answer.

Cheers Bernhard
Thanks for the reply Bernhard. I can see why you got totally bored with the tracks.

Regards,

Charlie
Google Adsense
Old 12-19-2007, 05:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 28.94 MB
I have seen a complete building report of this kit (including tracks!) at the czech papermodel forum:

http://papirovemodelarstvi.cz/forum/...ghlight=stuart

Cheers Bernhard

Last edited by hemingway; 12-19-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looks like the track linkage is the same as the Sherman and it's brethren sans duckbills which were on the Tamiya kit I bought for a digital model reference.

If you have that kit or similar it should help walk you through the issue.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemingway View Post
I have seen a complete building report of this kit (including tracks!) at the czech papermodel forum:

http://papirovemodelarstvi.cz/forum/...ghlight=stuart

Cheers Bernhard
Thanks Bernhard,

Looks like the Stuart is doable at least. I think the guy who built it on the Czech forum needs a new printhead for his inkjet. The original model colour is seriously wrong - but fixable with a Gimp session.

This could be a long build - the reported build took about 3 months - judging from the post dates on the forum posts.

I notice that the Czech builder does builds in the same order as I do - do the tracks first.

The Stuart track is similar to the Sherman and Grant/Lee track - rubber blocks with internal steel parts. The US army seemed to like these tracks because you could operate on sealed roads without trashing the surface. The rubber block tracks weren't good in snow or very soft ground. In very hot conditions the rubber could melt - this happened to Russian units but oddly wasn't reported in North Africa - perhaps the tracks were made of different grades of rubber. The downside with these tracks was the amount of rubber needed - only the US had access to reliable rubber supplies during WW2.

Regards,

Charlie

Last edited by CharlieC; 12-20-2007 at 12:38 PM.