PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 08-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
The worst glue i ever bought is Grafix Pernament spray Adhesive i have tried it on everything and it don't stick nothing. then there is the super glue i bought and it didn't even stick paper. i sure don't think anyone would do like the add for Locktite hanging from a helicopter over some crocs with that super glue unless of course they want to be supper for a crocodile.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstarkel View Post
I'v never used spray glue;whats it used for?

Asthma and C.O.P.D.(Chronic Obstruction Pulmonary Disease ). I don't know why anyone would use this stuff, unless you were installing a headliner in a car (a very specific spray adhesive for that). It's messy, expensive, most people don't use enough ventilation, you really need to be outside. and if you figure the ounce prices, it is overly expensive. Again, ,my opinion,one based one actually using this stuff, and realizing it was not good.

Paper modeling has this green aspect to it. These spray glue's are on the opposite side of that. They are known to cause Asthma and other carcinogenic problems because the fumes enter the blood stream. There are non toxic glues that work better. UHU glue is Non Toxic.

"UHU All Purpose Glue" can glue metal to glass, works on paper, wood, felt, glass, polystyrene, ceramics and all of this stuff together. Don't take bad advice and mess with spray glues, get glue you can eat, then you know it won't kill you. I.M.H.O.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:58 PM

thanks for all the info fellas, i bought some light balsa i wanted to laminate formers onto, because of some issues(caused by me), heavy card formers are just not stong enough, and i wanted to make stronger models.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 136.8 KB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
Asthma and C.O.P.D.(Chronic Obstruction Pulmonary Disease ). I don't know why anyone would use this stuff, unless you were installing a headliner in a car (a very specific spray adhesive for that). It's messy, expensive, most people don't use enough ventilation, you really need to be outside. and if you figure the ounce prices, it is overly expensive. Again, ,my opinion,one based one actually using this stuff, and realizing it was not good.

Paper modeling has this green aspect to it. These spray glue's are on the opposite side of that. They are known to cause Asthma and other carcinogenic problems because the fumes enter the blood stream. There are non toxic glues that work better. UHU glue is Non Toxic.

"UHU All Purpose Glue" can glue metal to glass, works on paper, wood, felt, glass, polystyrene, ceramics and all of this stuff together. Don't take bad advice and mess with spray glues, get glue you can eat, then you know it won't kill you. I.M.H.O.

OK i think i'll stick with my aleene's tacky glue it's cheaper and non toxic
Old 08-04-2011, 07:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nstarkel View Post
I'v never used spray glue;whats it used for?
I use spray adhesives for large (in terms of size of a layout) lamination jobs. I've tried laminating with the normal Aleene's Tacky bottle glue, but I believe extra experience is called for that - as the results can vary. It's one of those things you learn over time (how much glue to put down to prevent sagging, how quick to apply the glue, etc.)
Google Adsense
Old 08-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Orange View Post
I use spray adhesives for large (in terms of size of a layout) lamination jobs. I've tried laminating with the normal Aleene's Tacky bottle glue, but I believe extra experience is called for that - as the results can vary. It's one of those things you learn over time (how much glue to put down to prevent sagging, how quick to apply the glue, etc.)
You sound like a professional. None of my comments was intended towards any person who does this for a living or professionally, because I know you guys take all the precautions.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:14 PM

O.K.......so i shouldn't use the 3m spray to glue things to my face......gotcha, thanks Zathros..always looking out for the little guy
Old 08-04-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
You sound like a professional. None of my comments was intended towards any person who does this for a living or professionally, because I know you guys take all the precautions.
Far from being a professional though

Truth be told, if I could get the application down with the bottled glue, I would choose that over the spray in a heart beat.

As for UHU glue, I've been hearing about that type of glue since I started paper modeling, but never gave it a try. Zathros, I'm going to assume you have tried UHU glue - how does it compare with Aleene's Tacky glue? (I'm also going to assume you've tried Aleene's at least once, if not could you explain your experience with UHU glue?)
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Banned

I have used it for years. I have a boat thread, link below. What most impressed me about UHU glue is it's ability to glue dissimilar materials. This requires quite a bit of tackiness as it is not penetrating the materials, so it is a "mechanical" bond.Which means that is does not make the parts "mushy". It is easy to use, cleans up well, does not run. I have found, when laminating, you apply to both sides, you touch the pieces together a couple of times, and the second you see the strands form, you bring the parts together and the really stick. From tiny to big, it always has the same working curve. I found it most forgiving when skinning the hull, being able to attach skins and the slide them a bit,without them detaching. That's about all I can say. It works as advertized. It has virtually no smell, and has no fumes. This boat has fallen a few time (Cats doing their best), it is 28" inches long, but has not come apart. It's been a couple of years since I have finished that boat too.

200% Lilla Weneda
Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 PM

Fabulous build on that ship Zathros - shame I never saw that earlier! Looks like the UHU glue did its job well! That bit about the skins is what hit home for me. My next venture into different modeling categories is Ships, and I've had my share of troubles with skins. This is definitely reassuring!

Great info on the UHU glue! I really appreciate it! I've been looking for personal experience responses on it for a while now, and it seems like this glue can really do the job. I like the no small/ no fumes, something to look forward to.

Now I just have to wait until we go to Micheals, I'll make sure to pick up 3 bottles of UHU.

Thanks again!
Google Adsense