PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 05-04-2009, 07:32 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
How to make cowlings / articles

Ok, so I was cleaning up some files on my computer and found a Windows version of one more of Carl (Golden Bear)'s tutorials from the old forum saved. I've submitted it as an article here - How to make cowlings - Articles

I know I had previously had permission to do so - I hope that's still the case Carl?

Also - for anybody who writes up a tutorial - the 'articles' section is our own 'wikipedia' for card modelling. It doesn't get used much - but if some of us take the time to input information a little bit at a time, we can hopefully generate a very nice data base of information for card modelling. It'd also be a nice depository for answers to the questions that come up often (what kind of paper / glue / knife do you use, etc).
Old 05-04-2009, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
Hey, Dan, thank you for doing this! I've been too lazy to go dredge these things up. I know that Chris started at it. Unfortunately people do not go to look at them, I think. I often see people asking for help about something that was covered in the tutorials - not that more discussion doesn't help every time.

Thanks again! ...and for drawing attention to the Articles area.

Carl
Old 05-04-2009, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Soon after I found this Forum, I found the construction articles produced by Carl and posted by Dan. They were enormously helpful -- Carl's tutorials have shaped the way I build paper models, even for such a seemingly simple task as cutting out parts.

I'd love to see Leif's, Gil's, Jim Krauzlis's, Shrike's, Kevin Stephens's and others' well-illustrated and described tutorials added (all those others who have posted lucid and well-written tutorials, please forgive me for not mentioning you by name).

The discussion that is developing in Lala's LaGG thread should also be turned into an article, in my opinion.

I'm currently in a jumping through my watch band configuration, but when the dust settles for me in a couple of weeks, I will be happy to participate in this project. I don't know from the technical aspects of posting, but can assist in the collection of photos, lay out, and editing of the instructions.

Don
Old 06-05-2009, 07:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Carl, your disclaimer on the rolling tube article is very funny.. we probably all feel like that (even though you are such a good builder). Thank you all for contributing to this section. Maybe more articles on the most common problems, questions, would still be helpful because in our isolated building spots we have developed different techniques that can be used. Not everyone will like to change or try something now, but will be very happy when the opportune time does arrive!
Old 06-06-2009, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
It does sound funny when I go back and read it. When I wrote these tutorials I wasn't certain but that I was stating the bleedin' obvious and that everybody had better methods. As I said, I looked for existing tutorials and found very little that covered the things that I had questions about. I figured that people inexperienced in the hobby might also have questions about how other builders got things to work easily and tried to share.

Carl
Google Adsense
Old 06-06-2009, 12:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Carl I think these tutorials should be very helpful for those picking up cardmodeling. The idea is excellent, maybe when someone does something new we could include it here...? Methods for weathering, so many items could be covered... Maybe even some computer tips for using coloring programs, ect.