PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 03-11-2021, 12:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Last time I read about laser printers, it still was the issue that toner doesn't get into the paper but creates a layer on top of the surfacewhich when curved or bent, might flake. Therefor I wouldn't recommend laser printers. But to each his own.
As far as I know you also can buy after market sets for regular printers with have an external ink tank and cartridges on feeding tubes which can be inserted into the slots of your actual printer. So, just an addition to what you have. You can refill the ink tank without opening your printer. Look for CISS systems. Like this one, which fits my Brother printer.

(en voor Foute Man: Ze zijn ook in Nederland te koop. en inkt ook. Dus ook voor een hoop andere merken.)
Old 03-11-2021, 05:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Foute Man (I guess you're not a "wrong guy"?), I share the negative sentiments about Epson printers. I'm having a Brother JC5320 (already a few years old so I'm not sure if the type still exists) and am very pleased with the quality. It's also able to print A3 size and can scan.
Print on "fine" for better resolution and yes, it helps to preserve the colors when you varnish your build, or varnish the sheets before cutting and pasting and give it another layer after completion.

Still I recommend to just go to a bookshop or something where you can print from a USB stick. These are usually not the inkjet type and the quality is better and the print stronger. The only difficulty is that under the current Covid lockdown scheme imposed by the Dutch government this simple thing in normal live is virtually impossible nowadays. Prints are also a bit more expensive but you don't have to invest in a printer.
For me the better quality of any print prevails as if the print is lousy, you're reminded of it all the time when working on a model...

Succes!
Erik
Old 03-11-2021, 08:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 73.24 MB
As Don Boose mentioned, I have been using an Epson ET2550 for at least 4 years now, and am perfectly happy with it. Let me say that I am not a "rivet counter" when it comes to print quality, so I can't comment as an expert. What I get pleases me.
It has had a few hiccups, but as Don noted, they seem to be easily corrected. My previous printer was a Dell. Quality was ok for me, but it did have times with lines, missing streaks, etc. Fixed, but not easily. The main concern, and which has been overcome by the Epson tank model, was the cost of ink. Non OEM, and home refills were a disaster.The Dell would print about 10 full color pages on one color cartridge - about $35. The Epson will print 10 pages, and there is no noticeable drop in ink. Refill of all 4 colors is around $55 bucks - in the time I have had mine, I have bought one set, and still have half of it left. I have covered the cost of the printer several times for what ink alone cost for the Dell.
Old 03-11-2021, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Brother ink is just as expensive as HP printers. Always heard Brother ink was cheaper, that is not the case anymore. Mike
Just to pick up on Mike's point ... I have been running a Brother MFC-J6510DW for a few years now. I bought an IRIS CISS unit to go with it but I've never bothered to fit it ... Why? Because I find the Brother ink cartridges so easy to refill with cheap bulk supply ink, and I have found that the printer doesn't know the difference. So I've not noticed whether Brother ink is as dear as the other OEM inks or the print quality is lower.

I do also have a cheapo Canon MG2450 hooked up to a different PC out in the conservatory. I bought the printer simply to access the Canon Premium models which (at the time) were only accessible using a Canon Pixma printer and the Canon Image Garden app that comes with it. The supplied starter ink cartridges ran out after printing five models ... ... so I bought some "Compatible" carts, which the printer refused to recognise ... So a quick Google came up with a U-tube vid on how to refill the OEM Canon carts and it's been running fine on Jet-Tec inks ever since. Not that it has been used much since I successfully printed off the sixty-odd Premium models I was after, but it does act as a convenient copier for the Mrs as it is permanently plugged in. A prod on the start button brings it into play as a photocopier without having to boot up the PC and it goes back to sleep again if not used for more than two minutes.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:09 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Paper Kosmonaut - while I respect your opinion and am not being critical of what you say in my case for the last 20 years I have only ever used laser printers for my models - without flaking or cracking issues. I even use laser prints for 1/220 and smaller models with no cracking or flaking.

Like anything else - used properly they give great results. Used with disregard for the instructions and correct settings, you will get poor results.

I am not going to go further here into the pros and cons - this has been done so often before on this Forum as a quick search will show!

-------------------------------

Foute Man - everyone will have their own take and opinions. Read, research and make your own mind. Search in the Forum here - there is plenty of material.
Old 03-11-2021, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin WS View Post
Paper Kosmonaut - while I respect your opinion and am not being critical of what you say in my case for the last 20 years I have only ever used laser printers for my models - without flaking or cracking issues. I even use laser prints for 1/220 and smaller models with no cracking or flaking.

Hey Kevin, that's great! I just echoed what I have been hearing around paper model forums in the last 15 years but if you (and others) have good lasting results with toner-based printers that's awesome. I also have built a laser printed model of considerable size which holds up very nicely.
Old 03-11-2021, 03:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Just to pick up on Mike's point ... I have been running a Brother MFC-J6510DW for a few years now. I bought an IRIS CISS unit to go with it but I've never bothered to fit it ... Why? Because I find the Brother ink cartridges so easy to refill with cheap bulk supply ink, and I have found that the printer doesn't know the difference. So I've not noticed whether Brother ink is as dear as the other OEM inks or the print quality is lower.
Hi John,

What brand of ink bottle refills do you prefer?

Thinking of trying some.

Mike
Old 03-11-2021, 07:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi John,

What brand of ink bottle refills do you prefer?

Thinking of trying some.

Mike
I use Jet-Tec inks. However, I must admit that I bought my current set of four colours in 250ml bottles several years ago through an online store (CPC UK | Electronic Parts & Components, Raspberry Pi) that no longer stocks them. There is a website shown on the bottles which is still live ( Jet Tec - Refill Kit Instructions ) but I haven't attempted to contact them directly yet as I'm still half full. I believe they were Isle-of-Man based.

I also use a waste ink capture device on my main printer and re-use this mixed ink (50/50 with fresh) to top up the black cartridge, so my supply of black ink lasts even longer. It's never noticeably greyed on me yet.

I inject the ink with a set of blunt needled hypodermic syringes that were originally supplied with a Jet-tec refill kit, but they are cheaply available from wish.com. Syringes and needles are supplied separately though. Of course, exactly where to drill the refill holes and resealing them is a trade secret, but U-tube usually supplies the info for most makes.

Tags
inktank printers