PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Old 02-21-2022, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amccombs3 View Post
On a related note, the model in my stash that scares me the most, the one that is farthest beyond my skills, is the WAK M24 Chaffee. Not because it’s complicated or has a high number of parts, but because of microscopic parts. It has hex nuts that, printed corner-to-corner, measure 11 nuts per centimeter. I’ve been advised by more skilled armor modelers just to omit the nuts, but I can’t help speculating on the methods one would use to assemble this model as designed. How would you color the edges?!?!?
I cheat on hex nuts. I slice evergreen hex rod. I had to do this on my M88A1 to preserve printed detail prior to painting.

Greg
Old 02-21-2022, 01:27 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Yeah, I gotta go with Greg on this one!

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 02-21-2022, 07:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Well, suffice it to say that the Chaffee probably won’t be my next project. Returning to the original question in this thread, the Optimus Prime model by Paper-Replika (Jules Perdana) is pretty insanely complex. He mentions that one leg of the figure takes 122 pages. Yikes. I seem to recall that his Bumblebee model had 12,000 parts, but I couldn’t find that model on his website, only on a site with an unsavory reputation.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:53 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Anne,

I just checked, it is 122 pages for both legs.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 02-22-2022, 08:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Anne,

I just checked, it is 122 pages for both legs.
Fair enough, I stand corrected. I think that still qualifies as a complex model, though.
Google Adsense
Old 03-25-2022, 07:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amccombs3 View Post
Here are the teensy scary nuts (or maybe they are bolt heads). And there are a lot of them. Just handling them will be a challenge. Even an ordinary exhalation could scatter them everywhere. And the publisher has marked the location of at least some of them in RED, so if I omit them, it will look like the tank has measles.
Might cover them with the pointed end of a sharpie. With the fine tip markers at art stores, would it be possible to just use a marker to simulate them?

Mike
Old 03-25-2022, 10:26 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Most complicated and detailed?

Of the models I have built, GPM's DKM Bismark was detailed but not all that complicated. It was just large. It took me the better of a year to finish it.

Ken West's 1/12-scale Apollo CM was very detailed and complicated, but some of the complications came from fit problems and butt joints. I have immense respect for Ken, but he is not a fan of joiner strips.

Overall, the most detailed, complicated, and enjoyable kit I have built was Uhu02's Lunar Module. In a scale model contest at the EAA AirVenture Museum, it won an award for "Most Complex." At at IPMS Regional meet in Madison, WI, it took first place in "Real Space," beating out several excellent plastic models.

Honorable mention goes to Alin Osarik's 1/33 scale Merlin 45 Supermarine Spitfire engine. I built it in 1/16 scale and, even then, it was full of greeblies.

Of the models I have seen but not built, I would nominate the 1/96-scale paper model of the Apollo Launch tower and crawler kits from EduCraft Diversions. At that scale, they will be close to five feet tall. If I had another lifetime in which to build . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-apollo-ipms-2.jpg   Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-apollo_8850a.jpg   Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-apollo_8852.jpg   Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-merlin-engine-left-5.jpg   Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-merlin-engine-front.jpg  

Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-lem_8131.jpg   Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-lem_8133.jpg   Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-lem_8134.jpg   Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-lem_8135-copy.jpg   Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-lem_8136.jpg  

Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-atlas1.jpg   Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-atlas-2.jpg  
Old 03-26-2022, 07:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Another very complex and detailed model is the Olkiluoto nuclear power plant. It has 3.100 parts many of them with no gluing strips and with several extremely small butt joints. As expected from any complex model, the results are amazing, but a lot of patience and free time is needed to complete this fantastic replica.
Old 04-03-2023, 04:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.98 MB
... saw this thread today ... here's a picture of the 1/350 cardmodel of OLKILUOTO III
The picture was taken by Ricardo Leite in 2017 who also assembled the model - he kept the roof openings closed for this picture. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
Another very complex and detailed model is the Olkiluoto nuclear power plant. It has 3.100 parts many of them with no gluing strips and with several extremely small butt joints. As expected from any complex model, the results are amazing, but a lot of patience and free time is needed to complete this fantastic replica.
Attached Thumbnails
Most detailed, complicated Paper model on the market-olkiluoto-g04.jpg  
Old 04-03-2023, 04:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
No doubt this model of the Olkiluoto atomic power plant is fantastic. It just requires time and more time but worth every second spent on its building.
Google Adsense