PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Article Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Another thought, are card models classed as books? or is that reserved for multiple models bound in one volume?

Ultimately it is the moral bankruptcy at the core of the internet and many a modern businesses which wears me down (but this isn't the place for that particular crusade).

I guess we just need to keep plugging away and do the right thing.

David
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM

Location: Ripon, WI, 20 mi from Oshkosh - center of the Aviation Universe
Total Downloaded: 1.51 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
I think your question is "can I make my own back up copies"
or "keep the original and build a copy".
Or even "save a copy and rebuild it again, later".
Or, what about "make a copy for my Son so he can build one too?"
?
Of course this is acceptable!...and anyone trying to say it isn't would have a very difficult time proving copyright infringement or malice against the copyright owner.
I was with you until, "make a copy for my son until he can build one too."

Yes, it's unenforcible, it isn't the kind of infringement companies worry about, and it won't land you in court. But it is an infringement of copyright. We all need to apply a combination ethics and common sense. If your son is 11, run him a copy, but make sure that in doing so, you're setting the proper example. Make it clear that running off copies for his friends is not acceptable.

If he's 35, let him buy his own original.

Above all, remember that "good character" is measured in part by what you do when no one is looking.

No worries,
--David
Old 02-24-2010, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.89 MB
Personally, when purchasing a printed model - I always buy two copies so that I have a backup for when I mess up a part. So far, I've never built a model without messing something up.

Speaking as a writer, I feel it is my way of supporting our industry.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Kamser View Post
just a thought
if i buy a model and make copies to build from, in order to have the original intact if i do anything wrong or if i want to rebuild it later
well if i do that but later come to the conclusion i don't want to do it again, and i want to sell the original because i want to buy another model
will i then have to destroy my model built on the copies or can i keep it
myself would say yes as then you don't own the original any more

I'd say the important thing here is your intent. You made the copy to keep the original intact. Reselling the original was not on your mind when you built your copy. Selling the original, after changing your mind about keeping it, is not an effort on your part to profit from another's labor. You are simply selling a model kit that you bought and now own.

As for the copy, the designer isn't losing any money, because you paid for the original, and as long as you're keeping the copy, you're not making any money from it, therefore, the designer is not losing a potential sale.

We spend a lot of time worrying about piracy, but we who design models have qualities that pirates probably lack: creativity and ambition. We can keep ahead of them by continuing to design new models.

Also, our sense of community is an asset, as we become more familiar with each others' work, we recognize our fellow members' design characteristics, and therefore might recognize a model that has been pirated if we see it somewhere else.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 58.50 MB
Me thinks this is double think. Changing your mind doesn't legitimise what you admit would have been stealing if you hadn't changed your mind. This flaws the rest of your arguement.
Google Adsense
Old 06-10-2010, 12:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Quote:
As for the copy, the designer isn't losing any money, because you paid for the original, and as long as you're keeping the copy, you're not making any money from it, therefore, the designer is not losing a potential sale.
Well actually the designer DOES lose a potential sale: the one that would have been made by the person you sold the model to...under your logic, the same model could be sold and built many times with every one gaining EXCEPT the designer...
Old 06-10-2010, 01:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Hi, I'm newbie in card modeling. This thread got me thinking. So, what you gays saying is if I make a copy of a GPM model for a friend. Which I am thinking about doing. That is like copying somebody book or art print? Because card models are print material? So I will be in copy right infringement with GPM?

I just finished building a 3d model of a flying vehicle based on a Japanese animation. And from my 3d model, I made a card model. Full colors, digitally painted and everything(my 1st paper model by the way. and was not as easy as I thought it would be). If I package the card model and sell it, like 100 to 500 hard copies. My model is based on a movie prop. Will I be in some kind of copy infringement with the film maker, even if I don't use the film title on my card model?
Old 06-10-2010, 04:36 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Hello Goodduck,
Yes - that would be copyright infringement on both counts - sorry. You could GIVE the second one away for free as fan art though.
Chris
Old 06-10-2010, 06:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I'll give you a good example of copyright infringement:
I take a canvas, some paints and a paint brush.
I create a painting of Mickey Mouse.
Nothing else, just Mickey Mouse.
An obviously recognizable character.
A copyrighted and protected character and artwork.
...no problem.
What I have done is create an "original work of art" using a known or commonplace image or theme.

Two weeks later, I get many requests for the Mickey Mouse painting.
So, I have prints made of my artwork and start selling signed and numbered prints to customers.
Now Disney sends their lawyers over and shuts me down.

Why?
Two things I have done wrong....
1. mechanical reproductions - I could have handpainted many copies, but not mechanically reproduced the copyrighted content.
2. used a copyrighted image or likeness to represent my self and my artwork.
If people got random artwork, in fact didn't even know what the painting was, that would probably fly, but they are requesting and purchasing Mickey...and I can't use the copyright artwork for my own benefit.

No...giving it away doesn't make it legal.
"Fan-Art" is not protected...it is also copyright infringement.
But it has become a common and somewhat accepted practice and probably sits in a gray area of legality.
Some are probably flattered by the fan-art and look at it as free promotion.
Others companies look at their property as profit potential and offer the opportunity to others to pay for the rights to use the copyrighted material, ...fan-art undermines that opportunity.

Many people. like myself, produce fan-art because we love the Shows, the Cartoons, the Cars, etc...and don't want to do anything to hurt the original artists and makers, but its still use without permission.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:40 AM

now that u brought that up about comic work.. my cousin ..was.. im not sure if he still is a graphic designer .. starting with silk screening back in the day .. and he did have to go through some hoops to release something he did for a disney encyclopedia or some kind of book like that many many years ago, even though the design was his own, why would that be?
Google Adsense
Closed Thread