PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-30-2010, 09:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Well - I open the package of 'galvinized'. It is a medium light gray with a medium sheen. The paper is gray with some sort of finish that results in a lead more than silver effect. It actually looks alright, certainly better than it looks in the picture. I had trouble lighting it. I'll try again tomorrow in natural light. You can see the scrap piece on the right side I sliced off a layer to show it is gray all the way through.

Printing was subdued as you can see but, It did not smudge even when I rubbed at it right out of the printer (HP Printer set to every day photo paper, matte, best quality).

Glueing with Aleenes Tacky was flawless with good grip and hold.

In summary - heavier that RR silver, dull finish, shapes well, glues well, no de-lamination, no smudging, washed out colors and difficult to photograph. Not perfect but certainly an option.
Attached Thumbnails
Aluminum paper-dsc.jpg  
Old 09-30-2010, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Aluminum paper

I stopped by Michael's a local hobby supply house...sorta... I found a foil covered card stock in the poster board area. The aluminum looks quite smooth n flat. Shiney. This coated card looks good unlike my attemps at trying to lam a card model with Aulmafilm or SNJ which looked like foil stomped into a sidewalk at the crack. The foil is on one side so it could be printed on the paper back, backwards, and cut out that way. Panel lines and detail could be applied with ultrafine sharpie and care. Dont know the weight, less than 110 card more than photo. I will try some in the next few days and try it with the 727 testing. All the painted areas will still be photo paper. Never seen any of the photo metalic papers.
Old 10-01-2010, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
I've seen that paper at Michael's as well. It reminds me a lot of the Canford frosted paper that I use for most aluminum stuff. It takes laser printing very well but not inkjet printing. The Canford paper can be ordered from many online stores in both heavy paper and light card stock weights. I'm going to try some of mine soon with the Golden digital grounds product to see if I can get a decent print from my Epson CX 3810 printer.

Curt
Old 10-01-2010, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Wausau Paper has what they call Metallics in various shades. One, which they call "white silver," approximates aluminum. It is metallic on both sides, and it prints well, with only a slight washing-out of colors. Unfortunately, it is only 32 lb weight. I got mine at Office Depot.

I've printed out a FG P51, but haven't begun to assemble it yet. Will do so after my current project. If it turns out OK, I'll post some pictures.

Garland