PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-21-2010, 06:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Vacuform Canopy bank- or sharing

Guys

As a builder of mostly 1/33 scale paper planes, I get into situation that I buy kits that have commercially available canopies ( mostly Polish brand Gomix ). However, there are many other beautiful kits ( including new ones ) that I would love to build. I would like to propose that maybe some of us that have canopy molds they made and are willing to make a one or two more , create a list of who has what. Obviously a bit difficult accross international lines, but it is a thought.

Comments ?

Thanks

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 10-21-2010, 07:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
Thats a great idea!! Some kits you just can't find canopys for, and I hate making do with paper canopys..and I'm not very good at making my own plastic ones....Rich
Old 10-21-2010, 09:10 PM

Location: Skype: Chaiwat Kosatanakom Bkk, Thailand, RTAF air base
Total Downloaded: 0
I design my model with blank space for transparent plastic canopy. Hundred of mold are made for fulfill this space. Actually, it is quite easy to make a mold and practice the vaccum. I once share the technique in my Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor.

I do understand this feeling, however, you should try to build them up. Try it once and you will enjoy it.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
i made a canopy for andrew's spitfire, and it came out ok on my very first try, unfortunately i did not save the mold...but your idea is great :D

maybe we can share on the building part of the molds...
finishing a kit is the BEST THING!:D
Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
That is indeed a good idea.

Most of you in the aviation section may not have seen the tip I posted in the anime section for making canopies,

VF-1D Valkyrie Trainer

Trick works great for smaller canopies but I don't think it would be too good for larger 1/33 scale ones. I build in 1/72 most often so it works perfect for me.

G1
Google Adsense
Old 10-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I have proposed in the past that someone do this exact thing then resell them through my shop. A couple people stepped forward as they wanted to do it but it never came to fruition. My suggestion is that if someone would like to get into this then possibly anyone with existing canopy molds can send them to this person who can make a good starter business. WOnt make anyone rich but it would certainly help fill an important need here.

Heck - I would even pay a couple bucks to have properly formed windshields for WWI birds so I didnt have to mess with them.
Chris
Old 10-22-2010, 08:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 591.57 MB
Perhaps in the same light... some of the molds I did were sculpey molds. they are robust but may not survive a trip thru the mails. I once thought of offering a service for vac'd canopies by emailing a copy of the paper form with a scale marker on it, I'd build the mold and vac the thing and then send the canopies off. Each of us that builds a particular kit and makes a mold, keep the mold, post on a list somewhere that you have that mold/kit combo then a forum member can negotiate for that particular canopy. there are probably other details to work out but in theory it just might work.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Pay it forward -canopies

Guys

My proposal is that we create on this site a listing where by each of us will list the molds we made and is willing to part with for free. Then if anyone of us sees a mold of interest to for our immidiate or near future build, we contact the mold owner and if still available, pay for the shipping. Then the list is updated and ready for the next person. Since none of us need the mold after we made it and vacuform our canopy, there is no loss and in reality the mold continues to be cycled thru our building community. Can also create a listing of needed molds. If you have a mold and are willing to make a canopy for a fellow builder, then we should cover your cost and shipping as well.

Public sharing concept.

Now, what do you think.

Isaac
Old 10-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
I think we all agree its a decent idea

Here is the problem I have though... shipping a mold would be more expensive than shipping a canopy plus they could be brittle for shipping. CRAAAACK!

Now if someone collected all the forms out there (I might be willing to do this if/when I learn to vacuform or earlier if no one steps up as it would be a great addition to the shop) and made a list of all the forms they have on hand they could just plunk out a canopy and mail it off. The recipient would likely get the canopy made and shipped for a bit less than shipping the canopy mold (I think) PLUS not everyone can (or wants) to mold their own which would open it up to lots more people
Old 10-22-2010, 01:54 PM

Lets do it then

OK, what does it take now? Get the word out, get more opinions from others?

I agree that not everyone out there can even create a vac form. I would pay for a canopy since that is all I and others need. The trick is to let people know where they can get the canopies from.

Isaac
Google Adsense