PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
That is a sweet looking Mustang, Curt. Nice job. I printed out the FG Tuskeegee P-51 years ago, but have yet to build it. The wings halves joining up at the leading edge instead of the trailing edge intimidates me, although I gotta say that it doesn't seem to have given you any trouble. Swampfox's 'stang is a beauty too, despite it's stout appearance. A number of the FG models are like that: not completely accurate, but you definitely know what airplane it is you're looking at.
Old 10-26-2010, 04:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 1,012.17 MB
Swampfox, thanks for the comparison pics, though I must say that your build is much cleaner than mine.

Garland, Canford offers both a paper at about 32lbs and a card version at about 65lbs. I use the paper and routinely laminate it to 20lb copy paper. In fact, I rarely print on cardstock at all. My preference is to use brochure stock for it's excellent printing qualities and laminate it to copy paper.

Don, don't let those wings get to you. You might want to print out a draft quality print or two for practice before you build the good copy though.

Thanks for all your comments,

Curt
Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 110.00 MB
Well done !! and thanks for the tips about the Canford paper
Old 10-29-2010, 03:52 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Curt,
Any luck on showing how the fuselage was modified?

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 10-31-2010, 11:16 AM

Ray, When I do the next one I'll try to get some screen shots of the process. Right now I have the Dazzle Stang to finish and I've already printed out the Squaw to build after that but I will squeeze in one more skinny FG Mustang some evening. I might not actually build it though. Let me know if any of the racers appeal to you since I thought I might do one of those next.

Curt
Google Adsense
Old 10-31-2010, 12:19 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Actually, if you just did up some line drawings showing where you made the modifications, that would probably suffice. I'm not real picky, just some guidelines
that would apply to any of the 'stangs.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 10-31-2010, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.49 MB
? about profile change

Since the beginning of this thread I've been looking at the change that was made to the front section of the FG P-51 and have thought that the change made it look too narrow up front.

I took one of the pictures that was posted of the change, and found a similar view of an actual P-51. placed them one over the other, scaled and rotated them to fit as close as possible and here is the result.
It is not a perfect fit, but fairly close. Is the area that was changed the area that the red ? is pointed to in general? If so, shouldn't the 2 profiles match?

Since they don't, what am I missing in this thread? Just trying to figure out why the cardmodel doesn't look quite right.

Any comments?

Thanks,
Swampfox
Old 10-31-2010, 05:26 PM

Holy smokes Swampfox! Talk about your eyeball engineering! That's a great photo analysis. You're absolutely correct that I narrowed the nose section. I also cut down the top of the fuselage behind the canopy just a bit. The cardmodel is less than perfect cause I started with a fat FG P-51 and I guess I overshot the mark a bit. With this excellent feedback I might get a bit closer on the next one. Still I like the result I have so far better than what I started with.

Ray I hate to say this since I was once quite proficient with AutoCad but my drawing skills have atrophied in recent years. It will be much easier if I just do a bunch of screen captures for the next stang and annotate them with lines and arrows and a descriptive paragraph for each one.

Curt