PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-10-2010, 05:39 PM

Location: Skype: Chaiwat Kosatanakom Bkk, Thailand, RTAF air base
Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
The instructions on my Hobby model are not clear ( the figures and sketches ( not the words which I ignore )).
Both are simple and really are crude, but anyhow it is an interesting model. I have the Vacuformed canopy from Gomix as well as a set of wheels. I wish Hobby Model re designed the kit to current standard.

I allready built the Draken , now building the Gripen, next will be the Viggen and last the SAAB 105. So all I need is a Lansen and a Tunan and lastly a J21R to round out the SAAB jets. I built them all in 1/72 scale plastic ( see pics ) . Nice small collection. Now for a paper collection of the lot.

Time is wasted, back to work ( on the models that is ).

Isaac
Beautiful fleet of Swedish Air Force, Issac
Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Smile

I have followed the Tunan progress on the German site for quite a while. However, I don't know how We can get the model when it is done. Sounds like it is a private deal . Maybe it will available for download.

Also, I would love the Lansen, but have never ordered over the internet. I just do not trust the system. I rely on friends to buy the kits and send to me. What are some of your expieriences when buying outside your country?

Anyhow, I have no shortage of kits. I have about 3 years worth of paper and over 100 plastic kits on hand. I usually build 1 paper aircraft model per month ( all in 1/33 scale ) and occasionally sneak in a few 1/72 plastic planes as well.

Isaac
Old 11-10-2010, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
Another place to get the Lansen (and not pay VAT tax) is here....very reliable and friendly...I use a VISA debit card for my online purchases that is linked to a separate bank account that I only put money into just enough to cover a purchase...
Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 PM

:(The building started

As predicted, this kit is going to be trouble. First there is a ton of pages telling all the technical details of the real plane ( none of which is important to building the model ). Then there is an overall sketch of the entire model which is the normal stuff. That is where things begin to get complicated on an otherwise very simple build. The parts are not always close to each other and the glue strips for part 6 are confusing. So basically I started forming and assembling some of the individual fuselage parts.

The first true evidence that I may not get to finish it is when I glued parts 4 and 5 ( around the cockpit area ). The colors strips and the Swedish AF roundel did not match or complete a circle ( see attached pics ). Basically they screwed up with both the printing and also the parts do not match and have a gap on the bottom.

I am next working on the middle body frame works. Simple looking and crude. I hope the skins will go on OK.

This kit really needs to be re designed. Hobby models makes great kits now a days. This one is amateur in nature.

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-grippen-mismatch-left.jpg   JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-close-left.jpg   JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-grippen-mismatch-right.jpg   JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-under-part-4-5.jpg  
Old 11-11-2010, 01:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I wonder if Hobby Model's later Gripen is redrawn or simply repainted.
Google Adsense
Old 11-11-2010, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
as a swede i'm following this with interest :D
isaac you have a nice collection going there both paper and plastic
i looked at the Gripen earlier but decided not to get it as my skills are not as good as required
had a chance go go to the airforce museum 2 months ago and got to fly the simulator they have there as a birthday present from my brother and sister - a whole hour's worth of flying
think the viggen is the most beautiful aircraft ever built
are there any large models available of the swedish jets around? like 1/33 scale

looking forward to your progress with this model
Old 11-11-2010, 05:10 PM

I have the Fly model # 41 Viggen in 1/33 scale as well as the Hobby Model # 47 SAAB 105 Sk60C trainer in the same scale. I will be building them as well. They are better kits. The Viggen does have a Gomix canopy and wheels available. The SAAB 105 looks very good and is 100 times better than the Grippen kit from the same company. They even give you optional parts to build it with flaps and separate flying surfaces. I would be careful not to add all the extra loads they have for the kit since it looks kind of silly with huge containers hanging on the pylons. The only thing is that you have to make your own vacuform canopy ( I would strongly urge having one since it has a nice cabin ).

I agree that the Viggen is a great looking machine. I got to see it and a Draken up close last year in an aviation museum ( see pics )

Cheers

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-viggen-left.jpg   JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-viggen-rear.jpg   JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-draken.jpg  
Old 11-12-2010, 08:54 PM

Exclamation Next step for the Gripen

Got some more parts built. As I said, it is a bit of a puzzle to get the fuselage assembled for such a simple model. So basically you try out. Note that there are really 4 major sub assemblies. The nose section which is all cones parts 1-5. Then 6 and 7 go together, but have the intakes part of it. The the center section which is built up on the frames ( see pics ) and last the rear cones to the exhaust part 14.
I have the wings, canards and vertical tail ready. I think it will be a challenge to fit them all well. This kit is really cheesy. Why am I doing it?

I may take a break for a few days though and then continue.

Here are some of the pics so far.

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-dsc07229.jpg   JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-dsc07230.jpg   JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-dsc07231.jpg   JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-dsc07232.jpg   JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-dsc07233.jpg  

JAS-39 Gripen - Hobby Model # 29-dsc07234.jpg  
Old 11-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Isaac,
I have found that several of the early Hobby Models have
fit and misalignment problems. I have built the F8U and the
SU-35 and had no problems with them. All the newer releases
have had good reviews and I have several in my build stack.
I believe that the Hobby Model kits are now one of the best
commercially printed models available. Don't give up on them
over this one ill fitting early model. Designers are like modelers
they learn through experience.....Ron
Old 11-13-2010, 12:44 AM

Ron

I have built both the F8 and the SU-35. The F8 was OK as far as fit was concerned. The SU-35 was not. Good thing I scanned it first. I had to print out some sections and apply slivers surgicaly around the canard location and the chines. But those kits were worth it. This Grippen should not have been released in its current state. I will never be able to match the parts.

Anyhow stay tuned. I do not give up easily.

The current crop of Hobby model kits are top notch and I do love them. Case in point is the Mig-15 kit. I got it and looking forward to its build.

Isaac
Google Adsense