PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-14-2010, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
It was time for the wheels.

They are made by sandwiching several discs of paper/cardstock, and then sanding them.

Since I don't have a dremmel tool or anything similar I cut the discs by hand, and also sanded them by hand.

The end result is not perfect, but I think it is very good considering the tools and resources available
Attached Thumbnails
Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-053.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-054.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-055.jpg  

Old 11-14-2010, 01:42 PM

The rear wheel is easy to build, but it is a very fragile piece. It definitely needs some reinforcement, otherwise it will bend badly once you support the plane's weight on it. I used a pin to create the axle. But I failed to properly reinforce the rest of the piece.
I thought it was weird that only normal cardstock was used for this. According to the instruction or the parts sheets there were no inner formers, or "sandwiched" cardstock for this part.

The main landing gear cowlings are not difficult, but their small size is something to consider. It takes sometime to get them assembled.

Just when I finished, and was ready to glue the final pieces, I found one of the wheels was missing :(

It strangely disappeared from my table. Unless it was one of my dogs that ate it, it will surface someday in any lost corner. By the time being, I quickly made a new one using thick cardboard. Not exactly as the original, but it served well.

The last part to be assembled is the underbelly with the cameras and communication arrays. It is easy, though I completely failed to imagine where the piece "68a" is supposed to be.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-056.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-057.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-058.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-059.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-060.jpg  

Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-061.jpg  

Old 11-14-2010, 02:08 PM

Last photos of the finished model.

From several angles. And, as usual in my build reports, a photo with my cell phone to show scale.

I now can rest a bit.

I know this is far from perfect. However, I learned a lot.

I learned about building techniques, the proper use of some tools, and how to solve certain problems.

I also learned that it is sometimes better no to follow literally the instructions.

In this particular kit the written instructions are very general, and the assembly diagrams sometimes indicate wrongly some parts. But fortunately those are small problems that can be solved if you are paying attention to the model itself.

A bit of creativity is also useful. I should have used some of it to improve a detail: the wing struts may need an inner wire to give support. As you can see in the pictures they are severely curved :(

I learned from the comments of the people who shared their thoughts here about some things. Thanks a lot!
I'm sure I'm learning for the future builds, and the next models will improve greatly.

I also learned a lot about myself, and about the way I approach this kind of activities, the way I face the problems that arise in the middle of the process, and how I react to good and bad results. I'm glad I've changed. In earlier years I used to trash it all if there were difficulties. But problems are good to challenge yourself and to really put your creativity to the test. In the end it is a lot better if you face the difficulties and try to solve them in the best way you can, than to run away from them or to hide them.

This model may not win a contest because of its faults. But I really don't care, because I'm proud of it. I also love it.

I'm proud of it and I love it because this plane has given me more than just a distraction during my recovery time. The whole process has enriched me in several ways, and that's the greatest prize I can get.

I'm glad I can share this experience with you. And I appreciate your comments, and suggestions.

Have a very nice afternoon!
Attached Thumbnails
Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-062.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-063.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-064.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-065.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-066.jpg  

Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-067.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-068.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-069.jpg  

Old 11-15-2010, 06:06 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Your comments are essentially what card modeling is
about. It is doing a model that you can learn and apply
to future builds. We all have a learning experience. It
reminds me of my trials and tribulations when I first
started building paper models. You have done a fine
job and can be proud of your model.....Ron
Old 11-15-2010, 06:28 AM

Location: Skype: Chaiwat Kosatanakom Bkk, Thailand, RTAF air base
Total Downloaded: 0
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron40 View Post
Your comments are essentially what card modeling is
about. It is doing a model that you can learn and apply
to future builds. We all have a learning experience. It
reminds me of my trials and tribulations when I first
started building paper models. You have done a fine
job and can be proud of your model.....Ron
It's ia not appropriate to give comment to the other people work while you intend to sell color printer...... Your shadow.
Google Adsense
Old 11-15-2010, 08:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
I don't like the Wheel Covers, I think I would try to redo those...

but the rest of it looks just great!
No, it isn't perfect...but it almost has a weathered/used realistic look.
I like it!

and the slightly foggy windows are very realistic!
Old 11-15-2010, 01:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.37 MB
Yaaaaaa!! Woo Hoo!!

Tags
dar-21, modelart