PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 11-09-2010, 09:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)

Greetings!

I recently had a surgery, and since this days are recovering time I decided to take advantage of this days of inactivity, and faced a kit I had printed some weeks ago but hadn't dared to start.

This is the Modelart kit of the small airplane DAR-21. I choose the "advanced" kit that has detailed cockpit.

This is a free model that can be downloaded from Modelart's website: ML Paper Models: Home Page

I started building this kit four days ago, but my computer crashed and I wasn't able to upload pictures until today.

The first picture shows my humble tools :o. The following picture shows the printed pages.

I printed the kit on white 140gr cardstock using a laser printer.

The last pictures show the beginning of the process according to the instructions. This is the top of the cockpit, which is also a structural part for the support of the wings.

Instructions are clear, but I screwd up the built and put the grey areas in the wrong direction , so I had to use some gouache to paint the piece and give it a grey colour where it was supposed to be.

The last two pictures show the cutting of the cockpit parts. Paper frame and clear acetate windows.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-001.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-002.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-003.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-004.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-005.jpg  

Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-006.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-007.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-008.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 11-09-2010, 10:09 AM

I had a terrible experience building the canopy, and the result is too gross to show it :o

But I decided to go on to the next parts, and leave the canopy for the last once I have it re-printed to build it again.

This pictures show the cockpit accessories: chairs and controls.
For the control rod I scored the piece, and glued a thin stripe of paper, so once glued and closed it had a more three-dimensional feeling. Then I cut and painted the borders. The result was not bad given my inexperience. But it would probably would had been better if I had just rolled a piece of paper and painted it. I didn't thought about it. But anyway, this is my first complex kit ever, and I wanted to stick to the kit itself without improvising so much. So I think I will use this experience and mistakes as a way of learning for future builds
Attached Thumbnails
Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-009.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-010.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-011.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-012.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-013.jpg  

Old 11-09-2010, 10:14 AM

The core of the landing gear is very easy to build following the stencils provided with the kit. The assembly is very simple and fast.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-014.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-015.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-016.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-017.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-018.jpg  

Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-019.jpg  

Old 11-09-2010, 10:27 AM

When I tortured the paper to form the aft fuselage I first damped it with a spray of alcohol, and then used a rod to give it for. The result is good, but it looks there was a part that was too wet, and the paper de-laminated :( (first picture). However, once healed with glue and closed, it was barely noticeable.

I use sprayed medicinal alcohol to wet the parts before forming so that they are easily bendable. I prefer alcohol to water, because in my past experience as a book binder water was a no-no-never-do-it-in-your-life issue. Water (even the cleanest one) can eventually cause stains, and even feed bacteria that will damage the paper through the years . So, alcohol is my choice.

The last photos show the aft fuselage assembled to the cockpit part.

Macro photography does not forgive the slightest mistake, and you can begin to see my innacuracies in the assembly. Though I'm sure I was very careful as far as my fat and numb fingers allowed :D
Attached Thumbnails
Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-020.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-021.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-022.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-023.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-024.jpg  

Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-025.jpg  

Old 11-09-2010, 10:40 AM

Last thing I made two days ago was closing the bottom part of the cockpit. This gave me a headache, and I tried to figure out the best way to do it.

I dried-tested several times, and I found it was going to be difficult for me. I had never modeled a similar part, so I had to improvise.

To assure a better gluing I used some strips of paper as fillers inside trying to give a bit of extra support to the piece once closed, and to assure that once I pressed to fix the glue the piece would not crackle severly (first picture).

I glued and closed it. And I thought it was ok. I really liked the way it fitted, because it was barely noticeable.

That was two days ago.

This morning when I took the update pictures I found the joints became more visible, and the gaps are reeeeeally huuuge

I'm wondering if it was the glue, or if I didn't press enough time as to let it fix properly, or both.

I used standard white PVA glue for this piece, because my relationship with UHU is very traumatic (to say the least). To avoid much mess and risk too much cleaning afterwards I choose the PVA. Maybe it was a bad decision. And maybe I have to wait more until the glue dries completely.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-026.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-027.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-028.jpg   Modelart DAR-21 (advanced kit) / (free model)-dar-21-029.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 11-09-2010, 10:43 AM

I'll be very grateful if you comment about this build, if you have suggestions or advices, so I can learn more and improve for the future.

This afternoon I will follow with the wings. And will post more pictures tomorrow.

Have a nice afternoon!

Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
WHat kind of glue are you using?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaloakmin View Post
WHat kind of glue are you using?
I'm using common white glue for most of the paper parts. To assemble the formers I use UHU.

Here in my country the most popular white glue is "Colbon" which is PVA glue.

Old 11-09-2010, 02:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 31.99 MB
Those seams almost look like a fit issue. Is your paper on the thick side? Also, use good quality bristol board for your formers. Cereal box cardboard (and the like) is not good.

Joints under pressure tend to spread, so you may want to hold the parts longer, especially if the PVA is thin.

Kittifix glue for paper is the best, but likely hard to find in Bogota. Thick glues are better than watery ones, and using less less is always better.

I like your idea for using alcohol to form parts.

Moduni.de carries many glues and they ship anywhere.
Old 11-10-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royaloakmin View Post
Those seams almost look like a fit issue. Is your paper on the thick side? Also, use good quality bristol board for your formers. Cereal box cardboard (and the like) is not good.

Joints under pressure tend to spread, so you may want to hold the parts longer, especially if the PVA is thin.

Kittifix glue for paper is the best, but likely hard to find in Bogota. Thick glues are better than watery ones, and using less less is always better.

I like your idea for using alcohol to form parts.

Moduni.de carries many glues and they ship anywhere.
Thank you very much for your suggestions! I'll keep them in mind and will try to implement them in the near future

Google Adsense

Tags
dar-21, modelart