PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 09-30-2009, 10:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
This is an old thread and for some valid reasons, the build was stopped for quality control problems (careless mistakes)....and rescued from the trash..... twice. First, I was looking it over and thought it possible to correct some build problems with recovered sections of the fuse, so went about to try that, and was looking improved, but when it came time to spray the fuse my Krylon can (art fixative satin) I guess had not been shaken well, and sprayed white material all over the plane!! It seemed all was lost for this one.
Experimenting with acrylic gloss medium to see if the white stuff would somehow disappear, and it did -almost do so. And it gave a nice luster to the fuse! So I painted it over the wings, but, as I applied it without thinning it warped and streaked the paper. Well, off came the wings and recovered them using the original framework. Now with problems still, this will never be a great specimen of this model, but am almost ready to put new gear on, and I think it is nice to look at, from a couple feet away at least...

Attached Thumbnails
spit 33 halinski-img_2726.jpg  
Old 09-30-2009, 10:08 PM

One more pic from above
Old 10-01-2009, 01:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
10 out of 10 for trying again. I find every model I build is a learning experience. You look back and see the bits you could have done better with.

I think the problem with building a model like the Spitfire is it's so iconic that even a seven year old knows how it should look. Any thing out of place really shows up.

Best to stick to un-known prototypes that never flew, and only exist in the form of a grainy photo - you know it makes sense.

Tim
Old 10-01-2009, 09:33 AM

Thanks Tim. Someone may benefit from this, I for one am going to avoid the first spray, as the gloss can be used as a fixative if not overdone, and hopefully not build in haste as it ends up being more work in the long run...