PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-11-2010, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman3 View Post
I might mention here that it is important to follow all of the suggested steps in dipping a canopy. Make sure that you put it up on toothpics, or pencils...the less surface are touching it the better, and be sure to cover it! I know from experience that this can be disatrous if you do not! Haha...
I always thought a coat of Future can be removed with Windex or similar products.

"None so blind as those that will not see"
Old 12-12-2010, 12:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.0 KB
Possibly, yes...but I just meant that I left a "futured" canopy out once and it got covered...and I do mean covered...with dust...I had to strip it, and start all over again...I wouldn't want anyone to tackle that with a thin canopy like we use.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazman3 View Post
Possibly, yes...but I just meant that I left a "futured" canopy out once and it got covered...and I do mean covered...with dust...I had to strip it, and start all over again...I wouldn't want anyone to tackle that with a thin canopy like we use.

Again, note from my pictures here that after I Future dipped the canopy and place it on tooth picks I completly coverd the entire canopy with a plastic tub over it to prevent any dust and dirt sticking to it. Never had any issues with that method. Always clean canopy. Do not touch it for at leat 12 hours after dipping.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM

Back home now.

Started working on the nose piece ( radome ). I hate the petal design. It really looks silly. So I decided to fill it with putty and sand to shape.

More info and pics soon

Happy 2011

Isaac
Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 436.0 KB
Looking forward to some pics of your progress...welcome back!
Google Adsense
Old 01-05-2011, 07:27 PM

Cool The nose now

The nose Radom

The kit uses a petal design instead of the cone sections method. That sort of makes sense when the piece is more rounded at the tip as in this nose. However, that leaves a very artificial look. Sort of a faceted solid model. Personally I hate the petal method for large parts such as noses or bombs/ rockets/ drop tanks etc….

Here is a view of a completed nose per the kit parts. See my point?

LTV A-7 Corsair 2-corsair_ii__nose-kit_.jpg

So instead, I revert to my plastic side of the hobby in which I use putty to fill in voids, cracks or need to smooth parts. This method is similar to ones in which you will make the mold for a vacu formed canopy. However, the original pieces are used here and are embedded with the putty.

I start with the original part and build it up using the petal method. However, I am not careful or clean. As long as it resembles the final shape that will be good. Once the glue dries, I fill the inside full of putty. While still wet, I install the rear bulkhead part 1a. Make sure it has a hole in it and stick a long wood skewer so you can paint it later while holding it.

LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc07701.jpgLTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc07702.jpgLTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc07704.jpgLTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc07705.jpg

Once that dries ( usually a few hours ) , I putty the outside. Be generous and cover it all to a general shape. When the outside dries, you can sand it to shape. You will repeat this a few times as you detect voids or out of round. Note that the piece is not symmetrical and can not be turned on a Dremel or a drill. Once smooth, I spray paint the part ( primer or black ). I repeat the putty, sanding, painting process a few times to get the desired look.

LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc07708.jpgLTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc07709.jpgLTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc07711.jpgLTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08352.jpgLTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08353.jpg

When you are satisfied, you are done. You can be as perfect as you want.

More pics of the painted nose soon.

The final color is flat black.

I finally got it to where I want. It is drying now and will be installed in a day or so.

Cheers

Isaac
Old 01-06-2011, 09:25 PM

finished nose

Again, spray paint the finished color ( flat black ) , let it dry and glue on.

Here are the pics of the finished nose.

I would not say that it was easy, but at least I can look at it and enjoy.

On to the landing gear next

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08395.jpg   LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08397.jpg   LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08398.jpg   LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08399.jpg   LTV A-7 Corsair 2-dsc08400.jpg  

Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I, too, hate petals with a passion and yours seems like an eminently civilised means of dealing with them, especially where the offending part is a single colour...
Old 01-07-2011, 05:26 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Looks very good from my point of view.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 01-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up Great job

Congrats on a perfect nose - a real improvement to what is a nightmare design {petals strike fear into most of us } The rest of the build is looking handsome too
Google Adsense