PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 12-09-2010, 08:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
More Mars Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckape View Post
Ahoy all crew.
Been to busy finishing up all my started builds with the exception of the AD6 Skyraider which will be next. I have all 53 models finished. My eyballs are tired I gpt to take a shore leave been at sea to long. I woulkd like to thank everyone here on the forum for viewing my builds and I am honered to see my ford Tri motor on the front page I shed a couple good tears when i saw that I am very happy I love everyone here.just give me a little time i will return with a big bang.

Ok here is a build that i finished I started this 30 years ago now it is done, this is a scratch build model made from cardstock wood and metal and brass tubeing. this is the Mighty Mars flying boat one of the largest flyingboats in the history of man. this aircraft came into service as the model 170 the proto type XPBM2-R1 Redesignated as PBMR Mars splendered a twin tail triple deck layout simular to the predesessor PBM Marainer, but a larger scale.durring the war she was very sucessfull in being a Naval and military transport that ferried personal from stateside to Islands of the Pacific.Although these large boats were phorbiden to opperate in the warzone due to they were to slow and had no armament to protect them from the enemy. After all hostilties were over the navy was pleased with the opperation of a long range transport, glen martin redesigned the Mars the proto type was concidered obsolete. with these new retrofilts and design features the Mars was pracicaly rebuilt. With her large single 50ft tail section modified hull and wings more powerfull engine place. The Mars was redesignated as JRM the Navy wanted 20 such examples but it was never acheived, ony four boats were used until they were stricken from the naval register. T Martin boats were scuttles one the Marshal Mars was destroyed due to fire, the other three wewre stricken from the naval register in 1956.Her sucessor was the P5M Marlin last of the navys flyingboats. The P6m Seamaster was primarly a expermentle aircraft that was shorl lived never acheived the grace of the Mars and Marlin.Canada forest industries bought the 3 last Martin mars Caroline Mars crashed durring a fire bombing exercise she got to low to the ground and stahled out and crashed and burned killing all crew members. The Phillipine Mars and the Hawaii Mars are what left of glenn Martin Gialnt flyingboats. They are still in opperation as canadas borate bombers. I hope they can keep them flying. In 1953 I flew in the Hawaii Mars boat from alameda to honolulu it took 14 hours non stop My late father sended my mother and brother and myself to honolulu I still have a keen memorie of being on board this behemoth. Here is my Mars.

Thank you everyone I am still here I will be back jusat a short break, Thank you

Boats

Ahoy everyone
Ron this for you and Gixhergs and my grandson Peter and all of you, dont want to Mars everybody to bordem, here are some updates. Ok this is my 30 years long finished build of the proto type Martin PB2M Martin Mars, This is how she was originally designed, she is the model 170 Mars this designed was used through out the second worls War. by the closeing of the second world war the Naval department was so pleased woth this flying dreadnought. they needed more examples by 1946 Mr. glenn Martin fore seen that this flyingboat needed to be redesigned, in 1947 the first successor of the PB2M was re designated as JRM Mars as we know today it had a large single fin and the fuselodge and wings were designed, By 1956 the JRM MArs was considered obsolete and the navy had no need for long rang transports it was on her wqy to the scrap heap. Canada forest industries foresighted an good use for these huge boats as borate bombers. Here are the update pix and pesky the pilot and his twin brother is standing next to a grumman F3F-3 flying beer barrel.
Attached Thumbnails
Martin JRM Hawaii Mars-pict0013.jpg   Martin JRM Hawaii Mars-pict0014.jpg   Martin JRM Hawaii Mars-pict0015.jpg   Martin JRM Hawaii Mars-pict0016.jpg   Martin JRM Hawaii Mars-pict0017.jpg  

Martin JRM Hawaii Mars-pict0018.jpg   Martin JRM Hawaii Mars-pict0019.jpg  
Old 12-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Thumbs up

My Dear Grandad Boats..... she is......
BEAUTIFUL

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Yes Boats the prototype is Gorgeous. Well done as usual.
Thanks for sharing this bit of aviation history with us...Ron