PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-19-2011, 10:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
End of the line for this one

All

I have decided to shelve this project and put it away. It will not be built!

Isaac
Old 02-20-2011, 06:56 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
All

I have decided to shelve this project and put it away. It will not be built!

Isaac
So sorry to hear this Isaac. Regards and respect. Pete.
Old 04-01-2021, 02:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.46 GB
i love b-17´s
Old 04-01-2021, 10:38 AM

Total Downloaded: 660.49 MB
Was this model ever released? I would like to take a look at it.....John Dell has some very nice B-17s available....
Old 04-01-2021, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Unhappy no, because the original designed passed away this model not exit for beta stage, but exist in ecardmodels excellent John Dell B-17 series in 1/48 scale.
Google Adsense
Old 04-01-2021, 12:28 PM

Unhappy Post scrept- 10 years later

The long and short is that this model never made it beyond the phase I noted last ( 10 years ago ). It really was an Alpha test and not a Beta build because of the various issues noted at the time. Ron refused to acknowledge it and basically thought he was ready to publish it.

Background:
Ron got the model from someone else and then proceeded to make modifications with the intent to improve it.

He contacted me for a Beta build. I accepted.

he printed the model in 1/48 scale and sent it to me.

I started building the model.

I found issues in both accuracy and assembly ( it was difficult for me to follow his exact directions ) . I brought it to Ron's attention, but he got angry and dismissed it all.

Ron became very adversarial and did not like my building method. His PMs to me were also nasty in nature.

I decided to finally stop this toxic relationship because Ron became verbally abusive on this thread and privately.

The model remained incorrect and Ron did not make any attempt to correct it.

A personal observation :
Shortly after I stopped this build, Ron passed away ( I think cancer ). I suspect that may have been a factor in his demeaner and contributed to his anger.

I thought someone would take his B-17 and fix it. Nothing came out of it.

Isaac
Old 04-02-2021, 08:30 AM

Exclamation Earlier attempts

For those interested in further background of this project 10 years ago.

Ron has provided the same model to others to Beta build:

Side-by-Side B-17G Beta Build

As can be seen, it was just as a convoluted saga with variable results. All of us enthusiastically tried to build it right.

Ultimately, Ron died from Brain cancer during the builds ( this in my opinion caused lots of friction with others and myself as his personality became more aggressive and short tempered ) . The project was given/ donated to Ruben.
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/215889-post456.html

Ruben did not proceed any further( to my knowledge ) with the project as it needed additional work, and corrections......... The project somehow ended up in discussions of donations to the Cancer society or cancer research......if and when the project was ready for release.

In any case, this B-17 was not ready for publication/release.

I scrapped my build years ago.

Isaac
Old 04-02-2021, 11:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Ruben did not proceed any further( to my knowledge ) with the project as it needed additional work, and corrections....
Isaac (and all who may be interested):

I did not went any further in the digital clean-up of that kit because of several reasons:
  • Despite Ron giving me the rights to this kit in his will before dying of cancer, my research was fruitless as to who had originally designed the kit.
  • The last version of the kit, as Ron sent it to me, was identical up to about 95% to the old Maly Modelarz kit from 1991, with only slight exterior modifications. No original drawings could be found of the templates prior to Ron's modifications.
  • All the interior Ron designed was his original work, but mostly inaccurate. So I redesigned the whole interior from the nose to the tail.
  • Another reason why I stopped was the realization that John Dell's kits and the more recent Maly kit are vastly superior in design and details, and far more accurate. Ron's kit would have needed an immense amount of work to make it reach current standards. It can be done, but in the end it would be no better than those already existing.
Since I could never determine how Ron got hold of the design, I decided to stop to avoid any possible copyright problems. Is just too similar to the old Maly.

I have no desire to work any further on that kit. It was an interesting experience, but a dead end.

The photos below show the state up to where I advanced. And it still needed several corrections. But I decided to stop right there because of the reasons above.

I believe if anyone is searching for a B-17, John Dell designed a beautifully textured and very accurate fleet with several variants.
And the 2012 Maly kit is also a very accurate model, and a great option for those wishing to have a pre-printed kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-img_1497_resize.jpg   Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-img_1521_resize.jpg   Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-img_1522_resize.jpg   Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-img_1533_resize.jpg  

Old 04-02-2021, 12:29 PM

Ruben

Thank you for providing the final summary of Ron's project.

It was doomed for failure from the beginning, primarily because Ron did not listen to comments. He was set in his way ( he was a "my way or the highway" kind of a person ). It was impossible to cooperate with him because he constantly berated people.

I brought to his attention the numerous technical errors including the shape of the nose, windshield etc.... He just dismissed it all.

On top of that he was bent over to keep to his method of building which was foolish since every builder had their own method of building and no designer should force builders to one way.

I did see other builds of this model ( like Deckape aka Boats ), but the end result still did not represent the B-17 properly.

I agree that there are better B-17 models out there, and that Ron's version is just a dead end attempt.

Anyhow, Lets move on to better designs.

Isaac
Old 04-02-2021, 02:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
This project/thread was done fore my time here so this is first I heard of it.

For me interesting thing is that part layout reminds me a lot of designs made for PMI models except model is a lot more complicated than PMI and possibly done (or re-done) in some early version of graphic computer program.

One way or another model is obsolete and there are few great B-17 digital models around.

I kind of like old models just for kicks rather than building them and I'm still looking for some completely gone down the memory hole. I digged up old Martin Maryland by Aaron Murphy this way just to name one.
Google Adsense