Cool Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac

Ron Hall design
Boeing B-17G in 1/48 scale
Beta build

Construction and build log by Isaac
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

started February 2011

=============================================

As many of you have seen before Ron ( Ron40 ) has been developing his B-17G in both 1/33 and 1/48 scale. Ron asked me to participate in this version of the Beta build. As I read over the previous logs, I note that most of the bugs have been ironed out, so this is the Beta + version.

Just as an aside, I have been building many WW2 aircraft in both paper and plastic, but tend to select single engine planes. My last 4 engine paper planes were the Schreiber DC-7 and the Lockheed Electra turboprop liner ( both unfortunately have been recycled ). That was quite a long time ago.

So here we go.

Started by putting my other projects aside and cleaning the work area.

Initial impression of the kit:

It is certainly massive in size ( even at 1/48 scale ). The next visual that struck me was the many well laid out pages. They are grouped in logical clusters. The parts have ample spacing and the pages are not crowded. This suits me well as I tend to cut out many parts, mark the back side with their number, and then lay them in trays for further work. I usually rely on a scanned version to refer to in case I lose a part or did not mark it.
Since this is a Beta version, I am not sure as to the finish of the final version, but an improved line resolution ( more pixels ) will be of great improvement.

Since I am a visual builder ( rather than written instructions ), I will rely on the sketches Ron included. I will also refer to the previous builds or develop my own visual steps as I get further into the build. You will see both the words and the pictures of my build.

Since this model was previously built in 1/33 scale and started in 1/48 scale with the full interior, I decided to build the kit as is minus the interior or clear parts. I thought the Beta build should also verify the kit design as provided since some folks will build it with the kit supplied rendered exterior “clear” windows as apposed to building the interior which then needs the vacuformed and clear glazing.

As an additional reference, Boats / Deckape ( my neighbor to the north ) is building the same 1/48 scale kit with interior and will be reporting separately in this thread:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/13253-colossal-side-side-side-builds.html

The initial thread that started it all is Side-by-Side B-17G Beta Build and that thread is here:
http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/aviation/9293-side-side-b-17g-beta-build.html

Cheers

Isaac
Google Adsense
Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking forward to your Beta plus build. Boats called me and said
his electricity has been out since 10:00 AM yesterday. So he's
just trying to keep warm for now. He said it's supposed to get
down to 11 degree's tonight in the Dayton area. Here's hoping
he gets his electricity restored shortly.....Ron
Old 02-02-2011, 09:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Work started-Day 1

Work started this evening

Started by cutting out the fuselage pieces. Nothing unusual here. However, I have to keep in mind that since no interior is built, some of the tabs do not need to be notched or separated ( more pictures later ). Of interest is the numbering system. Part 1 is in the center with 2 and thru 7 going aft and 8 thru 16 going forward. As long as you track it and compare to the sketch, it is OK.

Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09204.jpgRon's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09206.jpgRon's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09209.jpg

I also, glued all the ribs and formers on card stock. I used Krylon’s spray adhesive to make it easy.
Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09207.jpgRon's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-dsc09208.jpg

A note of caution on this spray. It is to be used in a well ventilated area when spraying, or in a spray booth ( as shown ). The vapors get everywhere otherwise and it smells.

So far got thru sheet 3 with some parts not yet cut and waiting in a tray.

Next, I will glue the tabs to each part. That will be next.

I lucked out with the ice storm here in Cincinnati. No power outage. Sorry Boats, you now have to use your supplies from the commissary. Keep worm and hope you get the power back.

That is all for today.

Isaac
Old 02-02-2011, 10:16 PM

And now some reference

last year a B-17G, the Liberty Belle visited Cincinnati Lunken airport. It was on display as well as gave rides. Two of my friends were lucky to go aboard ( at $500 a piece ).

The paint scheme is similar to Ron's

Every year or so we get either a B-17, B-25s and other WW2 warbirds at our airport. I live on the approach path to this field and usually run outside to see those lumbering beauties fly at low altitude.

Cheers

Isaac
Attached Thumbnails
Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-liberty-bell-luk-2010.jpg   Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-liberty-bell-luk-2010-pic-2.jpg   Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-liberty-bell-luk-2010-pic-3.jpg  
Old 02-02-2011, 11:31 PM
Eternal Member

Isaac,
Thanks for the photo's of the Liberty Bell. That paint scheme could very
well be another livery for this model. However it has the staggered waist
gunners. I have been giving some thought to making a re design in that
area due to many of the colorful liveries have the staggered waist gun
positions. I am also contemplating a camo livery version.....Ron
Google Adsense
Old 02-03-2011, 01:07 AM
Eternal Member

For those of you interested in watching a video of the the B-17 as well as
other WWII aircraft they are to be found on Jay Leno's website at this
link;Jay Leno's Garage > Aircraft Archives

Ron
Old 02-03-2011, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Ahoy Issac

glad to see your here on your beta build. you will find Rons B-17G a very pleaseing and delightful kit. One of the best produced in my bluejackets manuel book. Ron has put his all in this wondeful bomber. I just got my power trned on I am behind schedule so I will be posting by built tonight. Then tommorow I will be turning two on the F7F Tigercat. A Hardy Well Done build logg you have there shipmate.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Ron's B-17G Beta build by Isaac-popeye-590x442.jpg  
Old 02-03-2011, 06:17 PM

Boats

Glad you got the power back. I hope you managed to keep warm somehow.

Isaac
Old 02-03-2011, 07:36 PM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Very nice I'll be watching with interest.

A Liberty Belle version would be awesome. I've been aboard, albeit only on the tarmac. Very cool though. I used many of my own photos when scratch-building some interior bits on my 1:72 version of Ron's model.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 02-03-2011, 07:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.98 MB
Looking forward to this one Isaac!