PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 03-28-2011, 06:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 7.06 MB
Vietnam Veterans J-3 Cub

Well, Gary (Musicman) & I have been playing again. Doing some repaints and graphics. We both really liked the New J-3 Cub from FG. So we kinda stuck with that one. No other reason really. After doing the one I posted here last week. Gary and I decided to see if we could come up with a generic Vietnam Veterans model that would cover all the U.S. Services that served in Vietnam during the Vietnam war.
The model we came up with, Sports Service Patches for each branch of service, (ARMY, NAVY, AIRFORCE and MARINES.) on the wings and elevator. Vietnam Medals, (Arm Forces Expeditionary,,, Vietnam Service,,,and Vietnam Campaign Medals, U.S Flag, and Vietnam Veterans patch.) on the fuselage. Also the Vietnam Service ribbon is on the tail and on the bottom of the wings. We collaborated on the design and placement of the graphics. Gary did the repaint work, and then we started building. Gary built the regular one staying to the original parts on the sheets with the regular canopy. You should pay close attention to the Pilot and Passanger!!!! I built the one with the clear canopy and detailed interior, & extras.

We did this repaint to honor all veterans who served our country during the Vietnam War.

Enjoy......We did

We're having so much fun, we're now working on doing one for the Korean War & WWII. I'm particulary interested in the one for WWII. Where My Dad Served with Patton in
Europe.
Google Adsense
Old 03-28-2011, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Exceptional! 'Nam vets are still getting short-changed in the recognition department (in all the services). I applaud your effort. And I'm looking forward to the Korea and WWII versions.

Garland
Old 03-28-2011, 02:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice!

Don
Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 38.31 MB
bob while you are still with the cub wonder if you could come up with a really detailed cub engine for the rest of us j-3 freaks bill amos
Old 03-29-2011, 09:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 390.42 MB
Bob your repaints on the FG PiperCubs are great. As a side note my wife's father served on Pattons security detail. John Henry Osborne.
Google Adsense
Old 03-29-2011, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL AMOS View Post
bob while you are still with the cub wonder if you could come up with a really detailed cub engine for the rest of us j-3 freaks bill amos
Sorry Bill, I really don't know how to design aircraft or engines, at least for paper models. I agree with you a detailed engine for the cub would be great. I built a 4 cylinder drone engine for my model Gyrocopter using a small plastic bottle and 4 flash light bulb bases for cylinders. Looks close to a cub engine I think.

Itboice, I'm not sure what my dad did?? I know he rode a motor cycle a lot. Was at Bastone. He would never talk about it much...
Old 03-29-2011, 09:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Nice work, and I mean that, but I'm glad the Cub I fly doesn't look like that.

Ryan
Old 03-30-2011, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanShort View Post
Nice work, and I mean that, but I'm glad the Cub I fly doesn't look like that.

Ryan
I tend to agree with you Ryan Hanging from my ceiling or displayed on my desk.......OK Having a real one like that... Naa!!!We've gotten away from The Cub for future Vets. More toward period aircraft. Probably would not have got this far with the Cub had it not been for requests.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.39 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to RyanShort
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob martin View Post
I tend to agree with you Ryan Hanging from my ceiling or displayed on my desk.......OK Having a real one like that... Naa!!!We've gotten away from The Cub for future Vets. More toward period aircraft. Probably would not have got this far with the Cub had it not been for requests.
To be honest with you, I think it would look more appropriate, and dignified (yes, I think vets deserved dignity) on an OD or dark green and white Cub with some black and white pinstripes. The blue just makes it look a little bit too much like a kid's toy. If I had more time (I'm nicely busy as a flight instructor right now) I'd do a mock-up.

Ryan
Old 03-31-2011, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanShort View Post
To be honest with you, I think it would look more appropriate, and dignified (yes, I think vets deserved dignity) on an OD or dark green and white Cub with some black and white pinstripes. The blue just makes it look a little bit too much like a kid's toy. If I had more time (I'm nicely busy as a flight instructor right now) I'd do a mock-up.

Ryan
I'm kinda partial to yellow & Blue, so I guess that is my fault. Your probably correct the OD with White strips, Like the FG Grasshopper, would be more appropriate. I may do one for WWII using the Grasshopper!! Just to see how it looks. Glad to hear your busy and working, especially in these times!! If you get some time and you really want too, we'd welcome a mock-up.
Google Adsense