PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 07-19-2011, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
B5N type 97 Kate

Ahoy
While I am building my PO-2 I decided to share this one with you fellas. here is a scrach built model of My Type 97 Kate Torpedo bomber. I built this from cardstock wood and wire I vacuformed the canopy useing a plug I carved rrom soft pine wood. The plans came from Paul Matts Vol. No.3 edition all in the scale of 1/48. I built this one way back from what i can remember I was in the Navy around 1963 I built this one in the mess hall after I stood my watch I had it boxed up and I carried it in my seabag. I hung it from my bunk. all of the cardstock that went into this model is all GI issue cardstock. went I came home for leave I made a plug for my canopy and vacuformed it useing my old matel vacuform machine.

The markings of my Kate represent it came from the Carrier Akagi Dec.7th 1941, The bomb 746kg is the same type of bomb that sunk the Arizona armour peirceing bomb . that was modified from the 14inch shell from the Nagato. the tailfeathers were masked off and airbrushed useing a Badger airbrush. sometime sood I will be posting a build of the card model version of this before this year is up here is my Kate.

Boats
Attached Thumbnails
B5N type 97 Kate-pict0002.jpg   B5N type 97 Kate-pict0003.jpg   B5N type 97 Kate-pict0004.jpg   B5N type 97 Kate-pict0005.jpg   B5N type 97 Kate-pict0006.jpg  

Old 07-19-2011, 10:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
Boats, that is one seriously beautiful model of a B5N.
I'm astounded.
And it is a great pleasure to see such fine hand-wrought expertise.

For Those of the Arizona: May They Ever Be Remembered.

Deep and Kind Respects, and Kind Regards Boats my friend, Uyraell.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uyraell View Post
Boats, that is one seriously beautiful model of a B5N.
I'm astounded.
And it is a great pleasure to see such fine hand-wrought expertise.

For Those of the Arizona: May They Ever Be Remembered.

Deep and Kind Respects, and Kind Regards Boats my friend, Uyraell.

Ahoy Ryraell
thank you very much for your reply on my Kate. The Arizona will always be remembered. I lost an uncle at Pearl durring the attack he was on board the Oklahoma Machinist mate 2nd class. The Oklahoma and the west virginia took more hits then any battlewagon at Pearl. Being the outboard ships at the mooring quays. The old Oklahoma took 9 kippers before she turned turtle. My unclas as my dad told me he was trapped below couldn,t get out his body was recovered 20 days later after the attack. My father was on board the oklahoma also durring those days brothers were allowed to join and serve on the same ship until the event of the sullivan brothers, the the navy didn,t take any more brothers serving on the same ship. My Kate was one of the high level bombers used at Pearl. Thyanks for your welcomeing and warm replies to my builds I am happy to share this with you and everyone.

Boats
Old 07-20-2011, 02:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
My friend Boats, I don't know if you know, that in NZ, on April 25th in any year, is ANZAC Day. It is the equivalent of Veterans' Memorial Day in The USA.
On ANZAC Day, the following is said aloud by all present at the various Memorial Services around NZ, at which the Veterans of the various wars and conflicts are Remembered.
The piece is from a WW1 Poem by Laurence Binyan, and is known as "Binyan's Lines" when said as follows:

"They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old,
Age shall not weary them, not the years contemn,
At the going down of the sun, we will remember them,
We Will Remember Them."

-- Laurence Binyan --

For your Uncle,
For Those who perished at Pearl Harbour December 7, 1941.

Please accept this as my Personal Respects.
With Deep and Kind Respect Boats my friend, Uyraell.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.02 GB
Awesome build. You skill for Scratch is amazing Boats! Congratulations for beautiful model...
Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2011, 07:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Always a joy to see you work, but I really appreciate your scratchbuilts. That's real modelmaking. All the more impacting for your family story. Thanks for sharing this.
Chris
Old 07-20-2011, 09:15 AM

Ahoy shipmates
thank you very much for your cander I am honered again. when i look at the Kate it brings memories to me. It remeinds me of an uncle I never liad eyes on. It was one these Kates that sunk the Oklahoma.My father was anaviation machinist mate he was turning to on one of the OS2U Kingfishers, when the attack begun. from what my dad told me when the Oklahoma took the first fish into her port side the shock of the blast blew him overboard. that what saved his life He treaded water until he got on board the Maryland that was in board from the Oklahoma. it was that that saved his lif or I wouldn,t be here on this wonderfull forum of great men. when i was stationed at Pearl durring my enlistment in the navy I boarded the Arizona many of times took off my dixie cup and paid my respects my shipmates who served a different era. The mooring quays are still there at pearl where the Oklahoma was morred.

The Oklahoma was the last ship they raised by 1944 with her sucsessors the Iowa class battlewagons the navy felt they had no need for her she was stricken from the naval register and sold to scrap. she was towed to stateside for scrapping by the time she reached Guam she sank. She and the Arizona were the only Battlewagons that didn,t see the light of day of combat and revenge. It took nearly three years to raise the Oklahoma Thanks fellas for your wonderfull reply and honer I sulute you all

Boats
Old 07-20-2011, 09:24 AM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Splendid build of a great looking bird. The story you tell, and the poem Uyraell gave in his post is something special... memories retained forever Skipper.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Splendid build of a great looking bird. The story you tell, and the poem Uyraell gave in his post is something special... memories retained forever Skipper.

ahoy Grandson Peter

Thank you for your reply on my Kate the Kate is my favorite Japanese aircraft and the val is second. the type 97 Kate has a very clean look. It was a very versital airplane between a torpedo bomber and high altitude bomber. It proved itself a mainstay through out the war. Thanks very much for your reply.

Old Granddad Boats
Attached Thumbnails
B5N type 97 Kate-popeye2.jpg