PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-03-2011, 03:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.24 MB
Brodak mfg makes both Nitrate and Butyrate dope.
Brodak Manufacturing - Control Line Flying
Most hobby shops no longer carry dope, and the few that do usually only carry butyrate clear. Stick and tissue models don't seem to be very popular anymore.
A quick story about nitrate dope. Boats is not exaggerating about the smell. Many many years ago when I worked at a small airport near my house some folks were re-covering a Taylorcraft a few hangers away. When they started spraying the dope you could literally smell it driving through the airport gate over a mile away. Even if you have adequate ventilation, you might want to take it outdoors.
Wayne
Old 08-03-2011, 04:04 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Does dope small anything as bad as the stuff for stretching canvas for art?
Old 08-03-2011, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
one of the sweetest smells on the planet!

I too built a couple of stick and tissue aircraft when I was young.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Landing gear assembly completed

Ahoy
My Hudson is is almost done I could have had it done today but i had to go to the VA for a check up. it took me away from the build. The Chanker Mechanic gave me a good bill of health for a old fart in the wind. He said what ewvery your doing to keep you in good shape keep it up jokeingly I said to hi its the Areo Gloss dope LOLllllllllllllllllllllllllllll Ahhh just kidding. any way I will have it done tonight and will have the finished pictures up tommorow props and thats it then i will start on another build in the morning, the landing gear is all scrach built by meusein reference material from the inter net. thank god for cyber space. here are the update pictures tommoirow the finished pictures .

Boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0022.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0023.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0024.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0025.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0026.jpg  

Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0027.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0028.jpg  
Old 08-04-2011, 08:46 AM

She,s Done Finished Pictures

Ahoy
another build finished My lockheed hudson Bonmber is now completed here are the finished Pictures.

The Kit

As to the build the build a lot of good things and one bad issue to the kit, The kit was very enjoyable for me to build at first i had second thoughts, What I liked about the kit is the printing and overal It,s a Hudson with no mistake about it. the aircraft represents the coastal command of the 48th RAF wing at Stornoway.Hebrides 1941. the camo i liked very much compared to nuetral gray undersides sometimes sky with dark earth over medium green or all white with extra sea gray. also the kit leave a bunch of room for the scrach builder the clear parts cant be teated with the packing tape method only the canopy the rest you will have to carve yourself a wooden plug shaped to size of the kits card parts and vacuform same. Not to of a complicated kit to build a lot of fittoing here and there to acheive a good fit before glues so there is a lot of thinjing process going on as you build Not a kit for the novis.

The Bad thing about the kit is that every fuselage former is oversized. Everything else fits like a charm. The only souloution i figured out the printing of the fuselage former sheet got out of scale compared to the kits parts. dont believe its intentional. anyone who who excepts the challenge of this kit must remember youi have to trim down the formers to fit evenly all around. Or you can try my method that works even better leave out every other former each skin part has a former at both ends no conector tabs are in the kit Workin from the nose of the ship the bombadiers compartment add the former and a conector strip and so on. everytime you join one skin to the other burnish the joints from the inside this will give you a good flush finish I hate seams but you have to deal with them in paper models it is something this type of modeling is inherited. If you done want to go by my method you will have to trim down each former and fit as you trim a very time consumeing adventure to say the least. the method I discrbed has saved me 6 days. there are only two hudson kits that I am aware of 1. modelcard and Ecard models makes one I must buy one of these from Chris.

My appreciations

Again I would like to thank all the viewers and the fellas who replied to my hudson Bomber I am Honered as usual to have such a host of good friends here on this formum.

Thank You
Boats
Attached Thumbnails
Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0001.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0002.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0003.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0004.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0005.jpg  

Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0006.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0007.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0008.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0009.jpg   Modelcard Lockheed Hudson Bomber-pict0010.jpg  

Old 08-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.56 MB
Ahoy Boats!

Your builds just amaze and fascinate me - not only the speed at which you complete them (you MUST be getting well through those 100 kits by now!), but, more importantly, the quality of your work - just brilliant.

Just a request that I hope you might be able to help me (and possibly others) out with. Your fueselages are always so smooth - obviously due to your formers - how do you manage to get such accuracy? Also you often mention burnishing in your builds - do you mean shaping the parts with tools or smoothing joined parts?

Once again boats - another superb build.

"When a habit begins to cost money....it's called a hobby."
Old 08-04-2011, 12:28 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndymond View Post
Ahoy Boats!

Your builds just amaze and fascinate me - not only the speed at which you complete them (you MUST be getting well through those 100 kits by now!), but, more importantly, the quality of your work - just brilliant.

Just a request that I hope you might be able to help me (and possibly others) out with. Your fueselages are always so smooth - obviously due to your formers - how do you manage to get such accuracy? Also you often mention burnishing in your builds - do you mean shaping the parts with tools or smoothing joined parts?

Once again boats - another superb build.

Ahoy
Thank you for your wonderfull reply on my hudson and other builds alike. for one thing I hate seams that show although the real machine is somewhat assembled in segments like that of card models. With the burnishing tool is used for is to smoooth out the seams they best done in the inside first and the outside last. the burnishing tool can can either be purchased at micheals crafts store or my faovorite is the teaspoon and the but end of a butter knife. useing a slight amount of presure on the tool will flatten out the seams My seams disappear when i give it a good burnishing and after apply 5 to 6 coats of Areo gloss dope 50 50 half nitrate and half butrate the dope ot acyrlic sealer will fill in the seams and they are hudiney gone. thank you again sir.

boats
Old 08-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
I just looked away from the screen for a moment..... Then - there's another wonderful build from Grandad Boats Locker all done and dusted, what a super fast, super cool build of a damned fine plane - nice one Skipper