PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 08-31-2008, 09:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
You can also put weight in the noses of the nacelles too. That's where most of the weight is on the real thing
Old 08-31-2008, 09:18 PM

It's looking really good, I can hardly wait to buy it - plus a few others I've been drooling over

What did you melt the sinkers in?
Old 08-31-2008, 10:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Shrike - actually that's a much better option than stuffing the ammo boxes....Forward fuselage in the central nacelle is not built to hold extra weight - engines on the other hand are perfect choice.

Redhorse - low tech solution - old spoon on the stove :D Additional benefit is that after pouring the lead you can use the still hot spoon to shape and smoothe lead's surface.
Old 08-31-2008, 11:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 92.57 MB
Looking very nice, Mike. I put a large steel nut in the forward center nacelle on mine, but it had room there. However it wasn't enough, so put a ball bearing in the spinner of each prop.
Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 AM

Looks just great! If I were an airplane guy, I'd certainly consider it. Another factor.....only have display space for long narrow models. But old dogs can STILL learn new tricks by watching others....and I watch with abandon. Super job!
Google Adsense
Old 09-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
Wow......... if that ain't enough lead to make it sit right, you just might have to make the front wheel entirely out of lead............just kidding.

Mortal or not it IS looking good Michael!

john

My Drawings
Old 09-06-2008, 11:34 PM

I just couldn't resist the idea of live ammo for the P-38 and added 8 BBs (max that would fit) per ammo box :D
Now, between the lead in the sides of the plane and the BBs, it's almost mandatory to build the shaft for the nose gear the way I did so the this weight will be distributed onto the sturdy frame instead of the flimsy shaft...
I don't like wrapping around parts around each other so I separated the outside parts for the 50cal shelfs and glued them to the inside part. I did it this way because the inside dimensions for the shelf are crucial for the proper installation of machine guns. Now, either I used thicker card or the design did not provide for this and the outside skin is a bit short and edges do not meet at the separation point. Small issue and gray marker fixed that
Attached Thumbnails
GreMir (coming soon) P-38H Lightning-p-38h-2-13.jpg  
Old 09-07-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
Wow......... if that ain't enough lead to make it sit right, you just might have to make the front wheel entirely out of lead............just kidding.

Mortal or not it IS looking good Michael!

john

Had to do that on Nobi's Flora. I wasn't thinking ahead, so I had to make the nose wheel out of a roll of solder covered with the card parts. Just barely enough.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:26 AM

Here WWW.KONRADUS.COM - FORUM MODELARZY KARTONOWYCH - [R] Lockheed P-38H Lightning 2w1 :-) you can watch simultaneous build of two WAK's P-38H.
our FB page - www.facebook.com/WAKpl
Old 09-14-2008, 12:46 PM

And they are doing excellent job on them :D
For the record - this is the same design, just different markings.
GreMir version will also sligthly differ in construction diagrams since I'm adding some part numbering on them to make it easier.

First photo shows small design flaw, also reported on Konradus' page.
Part 31 is about 1mm to long and I chose to trimm it to fit. It's not perfect, so maybe leaving it to overlap part 30 (with some thickness reduction on the edge) would be a better option.
Oterwise no problems except that I just decided not to build so many details again, EVER! :o
I don't have steady enough hands and eyesight to do justice to models with all those small detail packed into such limited space.....
I will chug along with this build hoping that it will get easier after I'm done with the machineguns....
Attached Thumbnails
GreMir (coming soon) P-38H Lightning-p-38h-2-14.jpg   GreMir (coming soon) P-38H Lightning-p-38h-2-15.jpg   GreMir (coming soon) P-38H Lightning-p-38h-2-16.jpg  
Google Adsense