PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Aviation

Old 02-08-2012, 06:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
The start of the Motor

I am working on the Oberursel motor and prop together. First a white paper edition is made then a colored version will be done for the final product.

All prop laminations are plotted and cut from heavy Bristol board. I plan to use 1/8" brass tube for the motor shaft.

Each lamination is spray-glued and placed on the shaft. Then they are CA glued. You can see the beginning of the development of the motor in the background.

The finished prop. The colored version with have two-color laminations for character. Here the front of the prop hub and prop nut are in place as well.

Happy modeling!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Blatant Salivation...,

Hi Bruce,

Absolutely beautiful. I think you've finally got the mojo pump work'in hard - next step: "learning to wail in the green groove"...,

I sense that you've put a great deal of time into this project [and it shows!]. What you're showing is just the tip of an icebergs worth of work.

Have you any surprises regarding spoked wheels?...,

Best regards, +Gil
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM

Thank you, Gil. I appreciate your kind words.
I've been thinking about the spoked wheels for quite a while and I have some as-yet untried ideas...we'll see
Old 02-09-2012, 03:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Now I feel really stupid, but here goes: Have I missed something, or are you actually lasercutting all details so far? - L.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:12 AM

Hi, Leif,
No, I don't think you've missed anything.
I have a tool and it would be silly if I didn't put it to good use. There will be lots of things on the model that must be hand cut and fitted in situ, but those details will need to be done based on the foundation that the laser provides.

I see the laser as a natural extension of the vector graphics technology that most of us have accepted now as "normal" in this craft. As technology gets cheaper and more accessible, automated paper cutting will become as common as laser printers are today. I know there are some on this forum that still use "legacy" design methods and techniques and I respect that. But when you compare the detail, quality of fit and outcome of a 1950s through 1980s paper model that was produced by hand on a draftsman's board, halftone separated and offset printed to a Halinski of today that is designed in autoCAD, detailed in Photoshop and laser printed at 600 or 1200 dpi, most of us would agree that the adoption of modern methods and technologies has produced a much higher standard that we have come to expect as normal.

I believe laser cutting is no more than the next step beyond laser printing. Vector graphics programs and printers have relegated the T-square and Rapidograph pen to a relatively tiny niche compared to the dominance they once held in the design industry. I think automated cutting is about to do the same to the Xacto knife.

-Bruce

(oh and not to mention, once the design work is done, the parts can be reproduced )
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2012, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Thanks for clearing that up Bruce. I might as well ask the obvious next couple of questions - somebody is bound to anyway - but don't feel obliged to answer until it's convenient for you.

So you own a laser cutting tool. How come? Isn't that very expensive? Do you intend to go into business producing models like the one you are designing and showing? Would you like to receive requests from others producing laser-cut parts for their designs? If so, will you start a thread on tips and requirements for how to produce a suitable original for laser cutting? What would the cost for that be?

I think that about covers it. Like I said - in your own good time. For the moment I'd much rather like to see your beautiful build continue!

Leif
Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 PM

The finished prop

I ran blocks of color on photo paper in order to get the colored laminations for the finished propeller.

Then I did the hubs with silver metalized paper I obtained here.

Happy modeling!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Thumbs up Nice

First off let me say that you need to post more for sure mate. What an absolutely fantastic build. Love the jigs you have in place too.

I am going to be in Springfield in March as it happens. Up at Pythian Castle giving a tour of the place. Anyhoo I digress. lol Very nice build and thanks for sharing.

Cheers
Jim
Old 02-09-2012, 09:00 PM

Hi, Jim,
Pythian Castle...been inside once- fascinating place! Do you give the ghost tour?
Old 02-09-2012, 11:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 210.47 MB
Bruce,

Jezzz where are my sox they were on my feet before I opened this post.

I don't build very many wingie things, but if you release this kit I'll be in line to get one. Laser cutting the metal parts out of metallic paper is brilliant.

Jim Nunn